Mickey is in trouble. Bg 458 possible fluid on lungs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jun 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

I cannot believe this...He has been coughing for a few days but when he is done he seems as if there is mucus in his throat and it takes a few moments to get it back together. Took him to the vet today...His weight is up to 30.3 fructomine (sp) 458..He got a chest x-ray 3 views of course there is fat around his heart and the vet said there is fluid in his lungs but to be positive they are sending the x-rays out to a radiologist. I wont know anything until after 11am tomorrow :sad: I hope that it is only a cold and then we can get the insulin going.

2. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Oh no, I hate the wait. I hope it's nothing, but we'll see. Did they do anything today for fluids? Draw any off of him? Sadie used to go the vet every other week to have fluids removed, she was also on Lasix and a few other meds along with her insulin.

How have Mickey's BGs been?

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Hi Jennifer. No they did nothing, that is why I am a little nervous. They said wait until the radiologist reads the x-ray. Then we will talk about insulin if he is ok or what ever we need to do.

4. tuckers mom

I forgot, he's been diet controlled for a while now. Do you still have your BG monitor? You may need new batteries at this point.

Maybe PM Jess and Earl tomorrow when you have the results, depending of course on what they say tomorrow.

If you do have to give insulin again, and at 458, this may be a real possibility, have you given any thought to what you may use?

5. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Well I am not sure what insulin to give him. He started on humulin 70-30 which was "harsh" he was only on it for a month or so. Lantus or PZI or something. I am so out of the game.

6. tuckers mom

This is a tough one. Your schedule changes because of work, right?

If you can't do a 12/12 shot time, I'd look at ProZinc or PZI BCP. If you can, then you have some thinking to do, because Lev and Lantus are great, but they do need a stricter schedule.

7. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Yes it is. I do rotating 8 hr shifts, day, evening and midnights. Thanks Jennifer. Keep you posted. I'll send you an email.

8. tuckers mom

I'd love to catch up, tell you all about Lilly Grace and her antics :) I still can't believe how lucky I am to have her.

Regarding the insulin, I haven't used ProZinc, but did use PZI BCP for a while, you can get a free sample vial through the vet, so that would help with costs too. But check out the PZI insulin support group, there's some stickies that gives info there. Ask them what they think of ProZinc. With your schedule I don't think Lantus or Lev would work out, but you could post on the Lantus ISG and see what they think.

9. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Will do, thanks again Jennifer!!

10. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

((((Peggy)))) Sure hope this is resolved soon. The not knowing is so hard!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.