Micro dosing / Thoughts

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by shawna, Jul 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shawna

shawna Member

Does anyone know if it would benefit Teddy to get tiny dosages (less than 1) of insulin if his blood sugar is normal? I know that doesn't sound right, because if it's normal he wouldn't need insulin....I mean maybe the high end of normal. Are there benefits? Or, is it that if the numbers are in the normal range it wouldn't change how he feels?

I've been off for the month of July and it's all kind of breaking my heart watching him go through everything. I'm glad I'm home with him, but it's really making me sad. All Ted does now is sleep or rest on the couch on a big pile of blankets. He only gets up to use the bathroom once or twice a day. He can barely walk.
    I keep him comfortable and I even bring him his food and water. And the pain medicine is good but it makes him kinda out of it and more wobbly. (The Gabapentin today seemed to work well this time around..)

I know his diabetes is separate than his arthritis/nerve pain, but I was just checking on if any insulin support would be of benefit for helping him feel good, or more energy, etc?

I've slept downstairs on the couch with him since February, since he can't walk up stairs and I'm afraid he will fall off my bed. It's just him and I here so it doesn't matter where I sleep. But I've found myself not wanting to get up at all either. I just feel bad for my sweet Theodore. He has little steps to get off the couch and I even worry that he will fall down those because of the medicine and his leg. Maybe I should put pillows by the stairs.
    Sometimes I'm hopeful he will get better, and other times I get so sad thinking he might not and that I hope he's not miserable just lying here in one spot. So I've just been lying here with him watching tv.

I'm sorry for all this rambling! I only meant to ask about the insulin and share a few thoughts..I'm just feeling kind of sad right now. It's heartbreaking watching Ted go through this. Thanks for all the help you all have given me since he first got sick. I really appreciate each of you. xoxoxo

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Oh Shawna! I wish I could reach through the computer and give you a hug! It's so clear how much you love Teddy and want the very best for him. I'm so sorry that he is having such a hard time, and that you are feeling the heartbreak from that too.

As far as the insulin, looking at the numbers on your spreadsheet, I don't think it would be safe to try to give him extra insulin. Insulin only makes a kitty feel better if they are in higher-than-normal numbers.

You are always always welcome to "ramble" here all you need. Everyone here understands what it means to love and care for our fur babies, and how desperately we want to help them when they are hurting. I just wish there was more that I could do than just type some words into a computer. Sending you comforting vines tonight. :(:bighug:

3. shawna

shawna Member

aw thanks Djamila, xoxox, Thanks for your kind words, means so much to me :) it's so hard to believe that teddy isn't well. He was healthy for fourteen years...I know that's clearly how life works...I'm just feeling so very sad.
    Ok thank you about the insulin. I just wanted to make sure since I have the insulin and time...wanted to make sure. Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Shawna, I feel so bad for you because I can tell how hard you're trying to help your beloved kitty. Why not give the pain meds some time. The sedating side effects might subside somewhat over time or maybe you can ask your vet about reducing the dose a little.

Feel free to ramble here anytime. :bighug:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    shawna and TempestsMum like this.
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Agreed. Give the pain meds a few more days to help him. I know very well the heartache of seeing a pet not feeling well. I am sure he appreciates your company.

shawna and TempestsMum like this.
  6. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Bless you both! :bighug::bighug: I don't know all of Teddys issues, and I know you don't know me, but I can tell he is adored by you. I've no good advice to offer other than to send you positive thoughts and prayers for the two of you.

I'm not recommending this by any means, but have you looked into alternatives? I have M.E and Fibromyalgia along with other health issues including arthritis and have been in a lot of pain for the last 25 years. I'm really wary about things but am trialling a CBD herbal tincture at the moment which has reduced my pain levels by 80% in the last 10 days. I do know of people who use it for their pets, but I don't know anything about how much or what sort, it may be worth researching? I would research it extremely thoroughly though especially as I don't know how it would interact with meds or benefit his problems.

Either way :bighug::bighug:

shawna likes this.
  7. shawna

shawna Member

Thanks for your kindness and prayers. My heart is breaking for my teddy and I don't know what to do.
    I don't have any knowledge at all on alternative medicine, but I'll see if I can find info and read about it. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to read it has helped your pain! I'll keep you in my prayers too.

He can't walk now because of his front legs. And I don't know what to do. The vet thought perhaps it was nerve damage and he may get better. He's not getting better though and he's become grouchy and he hisses at me and sometimes even tries to bite me. I know he's just in pain but it breaks my heart. He's had a lot of ear problems too and even though the vet said his ears are fine now, it makes me wonder because he has no balance anymore either.
    I'm also worried because he spends his time on the couch....he has little stairs he uses. But I'm afraid now he will fall down them because his front legs won't hold him up. I've been sleeping with him and I try to carry him to his litter box often so he doesn't have to struggle getting there. But he can't even hold himself up much in the litter box, he falls to the side.

Maybe I should block him off in the kitchen so there won't be any chances that he will fall? And I'd stay in there with him. I just don't know what to do!

Sorry I'm rambling. Thanks again and I'll look up what you mentioned xoxoxoxoxo :cat::):bighug:

8. apple

apple Member

I don't have medical advice. I do have a hug and can tell you really love your kitty. Wishing you two all the best.

shawna likes this.
  9. shawna

shawna Member

Thanks Kris :bighug: Yes you are right about giving the pain meds some time. I've found the right dose to give him now at least. He's been very aggressive and grouchy, even with the pain medicine. I'm still hoping for any improvement, but I'm really worried. And I'm trying to decide if I should move him from the couch to the kitchen floor (with cushions and blankets) because I'm afraid he will fall getting off the couch...he uses little steps... but I don't want him to fall because he can't walk right now because of his front legs. They won't hold him up! They cross and they go backwards so his falls forward. It's awful seeing him try to walk without his front legs working. I just wish I knew what to do! xoxoxoxo

10. shawna

shawna Member

Thanks Janet. I'm glad I am here with him to spend this time with him. I'm going to worry about him when I go back to work.
    He has turned into the grouchiest cat! I don't blame him but it's just sad to me.

11. shawna

shawna Member

Aww, thanks Apple. That's so sweet of you! Hugs and love your way!

12. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    I did find this for you it's overpriced but it may help with explaining it more, I don't know this company at all they were just the ones that came up in a search I did. https://canna-pet.com/products/canna-pet-for-cats/ There may be Facebook groups for people with pets who use it where you can get more help and information.

I can tell you nerve pain is not very nice and can take a very long time to heal :(
    could he have vestibular disease? In human terms it's 'vertigo' my mums dog had that, and I've had it. Her dogs symptoms were being sick, unable to stand, staggering and her pupils darted. If she did walk her head was almost on the ground.

Has he been treated for neuropathy?

Sending love and hugs for you both! :bighug::bighug:

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

How is Teddy doing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.