Microliter Syringes?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Peter Moore, Feb 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

I came across something interesting:

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/analytical-chromatography/analytical-products.html?TablePage=9664107

Microliter syringes with a 10 uL capacity - that would mean a total capacity of 1U of U100 insulin, and would enable measuring in precise 0.1 unit increments.

Of course these are not "approved" for health applications, and they are not disposable and would have to be sterilized with each use. This particular one's needle type (beveled) I don't think is appropriate either, but it seems likely that we could find the right needle type and thickness.

Has anyone else ever looked into this and gotten anywhere?

Edit - The company (Hamilton) makes a tremendous number of different products and options. They do have appropriate needle types ("recommended for life science applications" - i.e., yes, animal experimentation :( ), can make them in almost any gauge and length. The only questions I have are: 1) reusability; and 2) sterilization. But if those can be answered I don't see why this wouldn't be a valid route to pursue?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

All needles that I know of are beveled. The needle is permanently attached to the syringe and thus not good for many uses at all. The price is $122 for 6 which is prohibitively for a syringe with fixed needle and thus limited times it can be used. The 26 gauge is really to large of diameter for injecting our cats.

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  3. Peter Moore

Peter Moore Member

Yes you're right. I researched their products more fully yesterday however. There are different bevel types and we would need type 4 for life sciences (basically a hypodermic needle). There are also a multitude of gauges and lengths available, and versions with removable needles.

What (I think) we want is this:

Syringe only (10 uL, Luer Tip):
    https://www.hamiltoncompany.com/laboratory-products/syringes/80301

Needles (29 gauge, point style 4, 10 mm length):
    https://www.hamiltoncompany.com/laboratory-products/needles/7748-15

The needles are indeed expensive - $58 for six, or $20 a day if reuse is not possible. However I contacted the manufacturer about the number of re-uses that is possible before significant blunting. At $10 a pop I have to presume the needless are far sturdier than those in disposable insulin syringes. We'll see what they say. Even if they can be safely reused 3 or 4 times that brings the cost down to $5 a day - well worth it IMO.

Other than the reuse/cost issue I don't see any reason not to try this; does anyone else?

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

5. Amina&M'row

Amina&M'row Member

No, we really shouldn't re-use needles as one use blunts them enough that a second use is Very Painful Indeed for kitty. Try it on yourself, using water. You will understand right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.