Midnight & her fur brothers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Midnight's Mom, May 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnight's Mom

Midnight's Mom Member

Hi all,
    I'm Sarah and I'm Midnight's mom. She has two fur brothers - Mercury & Mars. We lost our other boy (Mars' biological brother) Minx in January of this year due to tumors in his lungs. Although that was a traumatic and heart-breaking experience, it introduced us to pair of great vets at a new practice near our house. Midnight is 15, Mercury is 9, and Mars is 7. Midnight was diagnosed with feline diabetes 5/16/17. She is otherwise in great health, and a lot of her symptoms which we had previously attributed to old age and/or arthritis have started to improve after 10 days of insulin. Her hind legs are stronger and she is jumping again, she is more playful and enjoys our company more, she is drinking & peeing less, and her coat is improving in texture.

We have had a couple of scary moments in the first ten days, including one day when I had to shoot insulin blind, and a couple of near-hypo events. I'm thankful for the long-time members of this board for answers and support during those moments! Fortunately, our vets are supportive of home testing, are available over the phone for consultations, and are not pushing a particular brand of food. We're hoping she will be eventually able to go into remission/be diet controlled.

Here are some pictures of our fur-family from a few years back (Midnight, Mercury, Minx & Mars):
    Midnight.jpg Hg the gargoyle.jpg Mars+Minx2.jpg

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

super cute! Thanks for sharing their pictures! :D two of mine are all black and all grey too. :)

Midnight's Mom likes this.
  3. Midnight's Mom

Midnight's Mom Member

Thanks to reading here, I now know that her poor grooming and excessive dandruff were probably due to her diabetes. I saw her washing pretty well tonight, and at the vets today she had less dandruff than I've ever seen her with at a vets office. Two more bizarre/random symptoms that I never realized were connected to diabetes, but that seem to be resolving or at least improving this week!

4. JanetNJ

My very first post on this board were about the poor condition of CC'S fur. That and drinking a lot are what prompted me to take her to the vet. It's common. She was greasy and had dandruff This is her before and after insulin change in her coat. IMG_3560.JPG

5. Midnight's Mom

Midnight's Mom Member

That's an amazing difference Janet! CC is really pretty.

JanetNJ likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

She is. In her younger days she could have been a supermodel. Lol

7. raun cesar

raun cesar Member

Ahaaha....Lovely pictures, by the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.