Midnight

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kathalene, Dec 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathalene

Kathalene New Member

I am new here... My neighbor's cat wouldn't leave my deck and she's staying in a little box shelter on the deck. It's freezing cold outside and she was begging to come in. This cat has never asked to come in and I don't let neighbor's animals in my home until this time. So, I let her in because I am not going to watch her freeze to death.

We'll she was acting really sick, drinking bowls and bowls of water. She was all skin and bones protruding and roach back. Midnight is semi long hair, so to look at her one wouldn't be able to tell unless you actually picked her up and felt it. So, she looked like she was starving... The next morning I put her back out and she still wouldn't go home. So, I brought Midnight back to the owners and told them she's acting sick, she looks sick and needs to see a vet and that she's on my deck freezing and starving. They said Midnight stays in their garage.

Next day, Midnight is back with ice all over her legs and belly, freezing outside, begging to come in for a few hours on my deck. So, I let her in. Again she's drinking bowls and bowls of water and at one moment I thought she died on my kitchen floor. I went and put a note on the neighbor's door. DAYS WENT BY, no response. So, I brought Midnight to the vets thinking maybe she has an infection, or warms..

Nope, Midnight was severely Diabetic needing to start Insulin right away. Midnight weighed 8 pounds, all her bones sticking out. It's disgusting... $300 vet bill. So, I brought the Vet bill and lab results to the owner and her dad was home and and told them she is Diabetic and she's freezing and starving to death on my deck. I am not going to watch that happen. His response; "don't let her in your home". My response was; "so, you want me to watch your cat die an agonizing death with untreated Diabetes and starvation on my deck? That an't going to happen." So, at that point I explained to them she has insulin shots twice a day and the vet says she needs to stay in. That she's at my home now and they need to decide what they want to do with Their Cat and call me. Either they can take care of her, or I am going to request something in writing transferring ownership of the cat to me so I can make decisions about her. Days have gone by, no response... No, OMG I didn't realize is our poor sweat Midnight o.k.? No, How can I help, or thank you.. NOTHING... These people are well-to-do people too..

I now realize little Midnight was coming to me for help. My other cats love her, she is sweat... and just wants to be worm and loved. They declawed her too.. :// I personally don't believe in it.

Midnight is going to cost me approx. 215 per month, Insulin 100, food 60, and needles 45. I cannot afford this. So, I am looking for ways that I can afford this, or looking for a foster family or cat rescue that takes cats like Midnight that have the means to take care of her. I have Lyme disease really bad, all my treatment is out of pocket and expensive...Plus, I am paying for my oldest's college. There is no way I can afford this. My last resort option is to give Midnight a great Christmas and consider putting her down. I am really pist these neighbors allowed her to be in such horrible conditions it's sick... Then to put me in this position. I am close to calling the Animal Control on them and they know it.

Any help would be much appreciated....

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry that cruel, ignorant people have you put in this awful position. Bless you for taking her to the vet.

Your best bet to get a faster response here is to repost this message on the main health forum with a thread title that has a question mark (there's an icon for that up top when you enter a thread's title) and maybe reads something like:

"Help needed - looking to rehome a diabetic kitty I can't care for."

Kathalene likes this.
  3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Glad that you cared about your neighbor's cat Midnight and took her to the vet.
    Midnight can be treated for a lot less than the costs you listed.
    - Many here order insulin for Canada from:
    https://rxcanada4less.com/\
    - You can feed commercial canned food like Friskies and Fancy Feast. No need for prescription food.
    - You can get syringes here
    https://www.adwdiabetes.com/?gclid=...Npvb8_0rRQNE1vhvyyC1-fTETPzpXqy-2eRoC9NHw_wcB
    You want ones with 1/2 unit markings.

Most of us here test our cat's blood glucose (BG) at home using a human meter. A lot less expensive than go to the vet a a BG test.

You can call Animal Control but they can't force the owner to treat the cat. All they can do is take the cat away. However, in most shelters the cat would be euthanized since few people want to adopt a diabetic cat, especially one in poor health.
    I myself adopted my last three diabetic cat's from shelters.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask

Kathalene likes this.
  4. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

You are doing such a wonderful thing helping sweet Midnight. You can contact Diabetic Cats In Need (DCIN). They often help with expenses and re homing. If you choose to keep Midnight, we can help you save money on food, insulin and testing.

Critter Mom likes this.
  5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I second the thought on contacting DCIN as hopefully they can help you to help her, and also that treating for Midnight's diabetes is a lot less expensive than you thought.
    P.S. I kind of think it was meant that she seek you out. You have a very kind and caring heart :bighug: Thank you so much for bringing her in out of the cold.
    P.S.S. I hate our neighbors!

Sharon14 and Critter Mom like this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'm in tears after reading Midnight's story ... :( (I could brain your neighbours! :mad:)

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Kathalene, for helping this sweet little girl who is so badly in need of love and care.

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Please get in touch with Diabetic Cats in Need. As well as the chance they might be able to help on the financial side of things perhaps they may be able to advise you about the situation with your neighbours not responding to any requests to transfer Midnight's guardianship.

I see other members have given you some basic information about reducing cost of supplies. There is also a Supply Closet here on FDMB where members list cheaper/free supplies. Here's the link:

FDMB Supply Closet

I'm saying a special Christmas prayer for you, Kathalene, that something really good will come to you in recognition of your wonderful kindness and compassion, and also for things to come to pass to bring dear little Midnight the help she needs for her diabetes. We'll certainly do everything we can to help you both.

Many, many blessings to you, Kathalene, and to all those you hold dear.

Mogs

Dyana and Sharon14 like this.
  7. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

Thank you Kathalene on behalf of everyone who loves animals for doing this... it is almost exactly the same as a story I heard recently from one of my fellow UKers. It is so terribly sad when people don't care about the welfare of their pets... It's just unbearable and I will never understand it.

Do please investigate ways of getting financial help so you can treat this dear little kitty. She knows she has a chance with you. And we will do everything we can here to support you in whatever ways we can when it comes to actual treatment.

Please, please keep posting with any more questions, we very badly want to help.

Diana

Kris & Teasel, Critter Mom and Dyana like this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I've heard of people doing this, then once kitty is recovered, sue to get them back. Keep every receipt even for food. If you can record conversations you have with them. Draw up a document that states they surrender the cat and see if they will sign it. It can be very simple document. Maybe even the threat that you will go to small claims and ask he court to order they pay for its care. That might get them to sign him over.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    Critter Mom likes this.
  9. Critter Mom

Hi Kathalene,

Just checking in to see how you and Midnight are doing today. Is there anything we can help you with?

:bighug:

Mogs

10. Critter Mom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.