Miko, just dx w/Acromegaly. Any experienced SRT guardians?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Sarah & Miko, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah & Miko

Sarah & Miko Member

Longest 2 weeks of my life waiting for the test results... The more I researched, the more acromegaly made sense, and not surprisingly Miko's test came back at a 253.

I'm looking into SRT radiation options at Davis. It's frustrating there is so little data, but I'm guessing it's thought to be the best treatment available -- anyone here able to speak to their experience?

Miko was dx with diabetes in July, pancreatitis in August. In Sept his pancreatitis tests came back clear but his pancreas and spleen remained enlarged, so that -- plus a bunch of smaller things, like snoring, faster breathing, gaining weight with uncontrolled diabetes, etc. -- made this the logical next test.

Any advisement is much appreciated, and I'd LOVE to hear from guardians who have gone the SRT route.

Sarah (and Miko)

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Re: Miko, just dx w/Acromegaly. Any experienced SRT guardian

Hi Sarah, sorry about the delay replying, but there isn't much action on this group. There are a couple of us, acrokitty folks who have done SRT, over in the Tight Regulation - Lantus forum. There is a lot more activity on that forum and usually someone there most times of the day if you need help or have questions. I recently switched to Levemir, but Neko was on Lantus when we went to Colorado State University for SRT. CSU is the cheapest place to get SRT in North America. Last I heard, Davis wasn't doing the more advanced types of SRT that is done at CSU or Yonkers (the other place you can get SRT).

If you can afford the time and cost to get SRT, I'd heartily recommend it. Neko got up to 8.75 units of Lantus, and now we are hovering around 1 unit. It's been 14 months since she had SRT. She is feeling SO much better. She didn't show many external symptoms other than the uncontrolled diabetes, but she was shying away from light. Now she loves to lie in the sunshine. A number of the symptoms of acromegaly will go away after SRT.

If you have any specific question, ask away!

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: Miko, just dx w/Acromegaly. Any experienced SRT guardian

Hi Sarah,
    I am just posting to let others know that you are a member of the facebook acro group and now have a great deal of input from all the other SRT experienced owners.

Gayle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.