Mild pancreatitis and high CK value - thx Jess

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Blue, May 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

We got some bloodwork done and most of the results were just fine other than high glucose, but I was concerned about the CK result of 987 when the range is 15-295 IU/L. That 987 seems pretty far out of range, and I could not find anything to explain what is wrong and have not talked to the vet yet.
    The only other 2 values off range are the following:
    Na/K Ratio is 24 with range of 25-40
    Potassium is 6.1 with range of 3.7-5.8 mmol/L

How bad is that CK number, and whant needs to be done?
    Can these 'off' numbers be related to mild pancreatitis with the value of 3.8 which is just slightly above range of 0-3.5 ug/L?

2. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: Mild pancreatitis and high CK value - related issues?

thx!
    Should I ask to retest?
    The link has the following:
    Creatinine Kinase (CK)
    Damaged muscles produce creatinine kinase, which goes into the bloodstream. High values indicate problems with muscle, possibly including the heart.

I don't like the sounds of that heart portion, and damaged muscle. Can struggling throw numbers like that? What about asking to retest, or do Xrays of the chest?
    I wanted to know what to ask the vet tomorrow.

4. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Hi Gayle

There's not much to investigate with the CK. It can be elevated due to weight loss, struggling for blood draw, even IM injections. For the heart muscle damage you mention, you'd be looking for an astronomical CK; 900 is still a relatively mild elevation. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Ah ok thanks Jess,
    I was worried because the value was within range before but the recent b/w was so raised.
    There has been no weight loss, rather more like a gain of a couple lbs, so I will ask if they had 'issues' drawing blood that could have caused that elevated number, even if it's mild, I would still like to know about any kinds of difficulties.

I am waiting on IGF-1 and IAA results, so I am a little nervous about any little thing showing as out of range.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.