Milk and treats

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tina & Sammy, Jan 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tina & Sammy

Tina & Sammy Well-Known Member

I have been reading that some people give their diabetic cat milk as a treat. Sami loves milk and since she was diagnosed I have restricted her from having milk thinking it has too much sugar.

Is this true, or could I give her milk as a special treat sometimes?

Also what other treats can I give Sami. I don't know if I should pay close attention to the carb or sugar content of the treats.

2. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Here is a thread of suggested low carb treats: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=445

Cats don't produce the stomach enzyme needed to break down the lactose in cow's milk. Cow's milk may ferment in the stomach and cause gassiness or just a tummy ache. Just because your cat loves milk doesn't mean that its good for her :smile: There is a milk product for cats (CatSip, I think) made with lowfat milk but it still contains natural sugars which can affect bgs. Feed your cat only healthy low carb treats.

3. Tina & Sammy

So is the Catsip appropriate for a diabetic cat? Or should I just stick with the freeze dried treats?

Sami loves the freeze dried treats and I stocked up because I found them for a great price on Amazon.

Thanks for the advice.

4. Tina & Sammy

I am still wondering if Catsip is appropriate for a diabetic cat? Does anyone know?

5. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

I don't know about Catsip... but an alternative to milk that is good for cats is plain yogurt - no flavours, no diet... just plain 2% yoghurt. We use the thick Mediterranean style and Barclay loves it. It's low in carbs, a good protein and has the added value of having pro-biotics - which is as good for cats as it is for us. A dollop of yoghurt should curb the cravings for milk.

Also, I was just cooking up a nice Japanese chicken curry.... when I cut up the meat, I left one chunk quite thick and gave that to Barclay to chomp on. Raw meat is not a balanced diet but as a treat is is good for their teeth - the gnawing action cleans the teeth and gums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.