Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

I'm afraid to give Buffy milk, but she's sitting at the fridge begging. Is there a good substitute out there that anyone is aware of?

2. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Why are you afraid to give her milk? I know a lot is not good, but a little is ok. Is there a health problem why you can't? Diabetic and the carbs?
    Maybe you could mix it with water?

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

There are two cat milk products available that I am aware of. Whiskas Cat Milk and Cat-sip cat milk. Both have had the lactose (milk sugar) removed. You can also feed heavy cream (naturally low carb) if you are not worried about calories and/or fat.

4. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Thanks Karen, I did not know there was a cat milk! My Sweety LOVES milk, and I do give her a little every now and then, the vet said "a little" is ok, she had low calcium levels last blood test.
    Can you get the cat milk anywhere? I have not seen it (although I wasn't looking).

5. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

Yes. I'm afraid it will drive her BGs up and I'm coming close to testing for her PM dosing. Her numbers are hovering in the low-mid 200s and that's the lowest I know of since she was diagnosed. Also, she has to lose 1-1/2 pnd.

I'll have to try those.

Thanks Jayne and Karen! I'm going to combine your suggestions - add water to heavy cream (which I didn't realize was low carb!). :mrgreen:

6. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

I'm going to try cream (and water) too! I bet Sweety will LOVE it. I didn't know it was low carb either.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

fwiw, my petsmart carries the products Karen mentions. they are on the bottom shelf of the treat section. surprisingly, they keep them next to the freeze dried fish treats i buy for Mousie :)

and another fwiw, alot of cats actually can't handle milk. i have actually used it a few times to relieve minor constipation.....in cats, not me :lol: most cats i've given it to end up with soft stools or full blown diarhea

8. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Cat-Sip can be ordered directly from the maker "AKPharma" by the case. It's cheaper that
    way, even with the shipping.

Also, sometimes the pet stores have only one or two cartons on the shelf.

Smokey and Mr. Kitty used to go through that stuff like crazy.

I considered using cream, but never got around to it.

9. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Thanks Cindy, I'll have to get some.
    I know if I give Sweety too much, yes she gets diarhea, poor baby. But a little seems to be fine for her.

10. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

i've seen it at pet smart, usually near the "medical" supplies - like furball stuff, flea stuff, etc. - if you can't find it ask - think it's on the bottom shelf.

11. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hillary is right.. near the med supplies on the bottom shelf! I wish I could spoil Baby or Sadi with a nice treat.. but they will not eat milk, tuna, any people food :YMSIGH: only catfood/dog treats!

12. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

My Petsmart didn't have it. Or do you mean the "milk replacement for kittens"? I did see that, but at 6.99 a soda can size? - and it wasn't Whiska's.
    And it's still hard to believe that cream is low carb? - really?

13. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

at my local petsmart, the kmr or milk replacement for kittens is with the "medical" supplies like vitamins, glucosamine stuff, wormers, etc...

the whiskas milk stuff is with the treats at my local store. and they keep it on the bottom shelf at my particular store. it's like $0.99 for a little box of it that looks like a kid's drink box thing. looks like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Whiskas-CatMilk-C ... B00008DFDQ

and cat sip looks like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Sip-Real-Milk/dp/B000633S78

14. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

[quote="Jayne & Sweety
    And it's still hard to believe that cream is low carb? - really?[/quote]

Yep. Using the nutritional information from the USDA food database, I calculate 2% protein, 95% fat, and 3% carbs. That is for UNSWEETENED cream. Now, if you whip it and add sugar, that is another story.

15. Buff-puff

Buff-puff Member

I just picked up some of the Whiskas milk from PetSmart. Buffy loves it. After I saw the color (brownish), I thought she'd back away from it for sure, but she lapped it up! :D

Yoyo liked it as well. However, Punkin just walked away - but she does that with just about everything. Haven't tried Tom yet as he's out and about. :razz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.