Milo has diabetes and is limping

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mizterynmilo, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mizterynmilo

mizterynmilo New Member

Is this related? I did notice he had long claws so I trimmed them. I think he still is having trouble though. I know, get him to the vet. He definitely needs a checkup. Just wondered if anyone has ever seen this with diabetes and what are the symptoms?

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome to FDMB :bighug:

Do you actually mean that he is "limping" or are you seeing back leg weakness?

Diabetic neuropathy is a common cause of back leg weakness in diabetic cats, especially those with high blood glucose levels.
    Some of us have found that supplementing with methyl B12 (methylcobalamin) helps the recovery. 'Zobaline' is a popular brand of methly B12 that is made especially for cats and is easily available in the US (you can also buy it from outside the US but it can be expensive to import, depending on where you live). There are other brands available also.

Getting the cat into a better blood glucose range helps a lot. How are Milo's blood glucose levels?

Low potassium can also be a cause of back leg weakness. You would need your vet to do a blood test to determine any deficiency. If the potassium is low it can be supplemented.

"Limping" could have a number of causes. Has it come on suddenly? Could Milo have suffered an injury to his leg or his foot? Is there any swelling anywhere?
    Could he have arthritis?

As you say, it sounds like a vet visit is needed....
    Do let us know what happens. And feel free to ask any other questions you want to.

Would you like to tell us more about Milo, for example: When was he diagnosed? What insulin is he on, and what is he eating at the moment?

Eliz

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!).

4. mizterynmilo

mizterynmilo New Member

Hi there, I got Milo to the vet and his foot was infected. They thought it was from a fight. I don't particularly trust this clinic but all his records are there and I had to get him in quickly. We got him an antibiotic and he is better. When I saw him walking today with just a shadow of a limp I wanted to come back here and let you know. I do appreciate this forum a lot, it got me off the crazy train of thinking he had gangrene and into thinking more clearly. Thank you. I will be transitioning him to a better clinic that doesn't charge $140 for one anti biotic shot!

5. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Before you switch, get copies of his medical records.

See my signature link Vet interview Topics for some questions to ask in selecting a new vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.