? Mimi 11/12 PMPS 243, +2 253 , +4 200

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

5 P’s happening today! (Learning the slang) hehe

Would like to know how I can recognize a bounce happening on my own or is that something that will take some time to look for.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi Rosa
    When looking for a bounce, you need to understand a couple of things
    1) What can trigger a bounce.
    2) What a bounce looks like.
    If you understand these it can make spotting bounce cycles easier.

What can trigger a bounce?
    • A sharp drop not necessarily into green, so if kitty starts off in red (450) drops to 220 by +2 that drop of over 200pts in 2 hrs could trigger a bounce.
    • Dropping into numbers their bodies are not used to. So if they are not used to seeing green or blue, that can trigger a bounce
    • Spending longer than usual in a lower range
    • or a combination of the above

Once that bounce is triggered, what does a bounce look like?
    • A bounce cycle, is one where you do not see a clear curve, so the numbers stay 'flattish' all through the cycle(they can bobble about a bit).
    • For some cats when they are bouncing, there cycles might be all flat red or all pink, others it can be flat yellows or flat blues
    • Over time we can find that as a cat gets more used to being in normal numbers they might no longer bounce in pinks, but they bounce in yellows or blues
    Does that help?

Mimis mom likes this.
  3. Mimis mom

Yes a lot! It is a lot to understand!

So what would a normal curve look like?

say AMPS 220, then +2 250 (because of the spike from food). +4 200 , +6 150, +8 180, and up from there? What’s a good curve when it starts at like 180 and dips to 85 or something at nadir then starts to rise again? Would that look like someone well controlled?

4. Mimis mom

:cat:Woke up around 4:45 am with a feeling I should be up. Mimi usually sleeps in bed with me but she was sleeping under the bed (which isn’t abnormal) just I’m starting to think something she does when she’s not feeling 100 percent.
    I shut my door with her inside at night so I know she eats her food not Batman. I opened the door and went into the kitchen and I heard her slurping whatever small fraction of food Batman left in his feeder- mostly the liquid left behind (he doesn’t slurp that part - which I wish he would so I know he’s getting enough moisture- but that’s a different website :))
    I Figured “oh maybe she wants a treat” - I have freeze dried raw that I’ll give them a couple at a time if they’re being extra annoying in between feedings. Right before I was about to do that I thought-she seems ravenous let me check her BG...

yep- it was low, so I let her eat her 6 am meal at 5 am (she last ate at 3 am) and added a quarter tsp of FF GL to the LC she eats. (really it’s “no carb” because of what it’s contents are- turkey, turkey liver, heart, kidney, and a couple of supplements)

She of course inhaled it all.. I’m also a tiny bit skeptical still about the test strips coming from eBay so I tested it against the Relion (but didn’t do this until I thought of it which was 18 minutes later) and got 79, then I went back to free style within 2 minutes (how long it took me to grab her and get blood again) and it was 61.

Right now I’m at the +8 mark- and I’m going to test again in 10

5. Mimis mom

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello Rosa,
    Nice to see you.:)
    Just looked at your SS and see you got a 48 at+7
    Is that where you say you tested 18 minutes later and got 79 and 61?
    Edit....I see you have updated the SS and what I thought is correct.

With the BG 48 MiMi has earned a reduction in dose down to 1.25 units.
    Please reduce the dose down to 1.25 units in the morning.

Gill & George and Mimis mom like this.
  7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

@Mimis mom
    Rosa have you tested the BG again?

8. Mimis mom

I tested it at +8.25 (I need that sheet again listing the correct way to list the times)

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Rosa, Would you mind also putting the BG in the thread here and in the SS, Thanks
    I see it was 63.
    Did you give Mimi a bit more to eat?

10. Mimis mom

She just ate again (the auto feeder went off in the bedroom- I fed her earlier when she was low) so she just ate again LC. Should I still test again?

Since I don’t test in the night close to the nadir do you think she’s been hitting low numbers at night for a while and that’s maybe why she’s been bouncing a lot the last several days? Does hanging around in low numbers cause internal damage for the time you’re in those numbers? Like effects you would see with hypo. Wondering how long she’s been hitting low at night.. could just be recent?

11. Mimis mom

Yes she just ate her regular LC. Was that ok to do- give her a tsp of HC to her LC- or should it have just been HC.. also, HC with LC- can make MC right?

12. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Rosa, it is always a good idea to test around the nadir if you can.
    If you can't test, and you think she is dropping low, leave some food out for her around the nadir, which has some carbs in it....around 8 or 10% carbs....you may need to buy some cans.
    If Mimi is in low green numbers which are safe green numbers (above 50) she should be fine. But is it always best to test and find out where she is.

Yes you should test again in 1 hour to see that Mimi is not dropping again .

Did you see that I said Mimi had earned a reduction in dose down to 1.25 units?

13. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If Mimi was 63, it is fine to give her some Low Carb food. You just need to test again to see she is not dropping again.

If the BG drops under 50 you would give some HC food if it was around the nadir time to bring it up higher over 50 and you would retest again in 30 mins.

If you mix HC with LC I would imagine you would get MC, depending on the carb content of the HC and the LC.
    But you are better off just getting some HC cans and some MC cans and having them for when you need them.

You are doing a really good job looking after your girl and I can see you have learned a lot.

14. Mimis mom

Yes I did see that - I “liked” it

“If I think she’s dropping low”. How would I know if she was if I didn’t test her?
    How can I make my raw higher carb without adding canned..

15. Mimis mom

16. Mimis mom

I actually didn’t suspect it was dropping that low because her numbers have been mostly blue and yellow. Do you suspect she’s been dropping for a while or can it just happen overnight (literally) like this? Do you think that’s why she’s been bouncing because her numbers at night have been too low? ( I think I just asked that but I can’t remember if it was answered)

17. Bron and Sheba (GA)

The only way you can know she is dropping low is to test her.
    The only other way is if she is very low and starts showing signs of a hypo such as extreme hunger, shivering, weak and lethargic, unsteady...these are the early signs only and you certainly would not want that.

I used to feed Sheba a home made diet. But I always had some MCand HC food and honey incase I needed it.
    I agree that a raw diet is the best for a cat, especially a diabetic cat, but you do need to have some of the HC and MC food available unless there is a good reason why she can't eat it.

18. Mimis mom

Thank you!!! She’s resting in my arms right now.

19. Mimis mom

Mimi right now

Attached Files:

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  20. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Rosa, it is possible she could have dropped lower in couple of the cycles, but without testing, I can only guess.
    You are testing a reasonable amount at night, so don't be hard on yourself.
    Mimi has possibly just had enough of this dose and wants a reduction.
    That is a beautiful photo!

I'm heading to bed now so I'll see you tomorrow

21. Mimis mom

What was your homemade diet?
    Also, should I be proactive and leave a little carb mixed in with her regular at her nadirs?

22. Mimis mom

Ok thank you for all of your help! I forget the time differences in Australia!

23. Mimis mom

You can answer this tomorrow

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  24. Mimis mom

+9.75 @77... should I give a bit of food? She ate an hour and a half ago