? Mimi 4/8 AMPS 131.. PMPS 72 +1.5 59... carb her up or wait?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimis mom, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/mimi-4-3-amps-111-2-96-4-100.227883/#post-2552214

It seems as though Mimi might be clearing a bounce still. Or the dose needs time to work.

The reason I feel this way is she was just on 1.5 and it was too much, so now 1.25 doesn't seem to be enough, what do I do?

Her cycle showed numbers under 100 less than 10 cycles ago and I know according to TR that said to hold for at least 10

If I increase her to 1.5 will she just need to go back down to 1.25- will my little baby ever get better?

(I did a fat dose this morning.. if that doesn't bring her down a little Ill increase to 1.5) or is she someone who would benefit from half .25 increases or decreases?

@Marje and Gracie

@Wendy&Neko

and if I forgot to tag you, thank you for any insight!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I used to increase and decrease in smaller increments because Max was a bouncer for a long time and didn’t hold reductions. Once regulated I continued that way.

3. Mimis mom

smaller like half of .25 increments (with a caliper of course)

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You were 15 consecutive cycles at 1.25 units - well past time to increase. We hold doses with nadirs under 100 for a total 6-10 cycles. You don't start the count after the green.

If you think Mimi isn't holding reductions well, another option is to move to 3 drops below 50 on separate days or 1 drop below 40, before a reduction is earned.

I found increases by a full 0.25 units were better. Almost like the smaller increase wasn't even noticed.

5. tiffmaxee

Yes. I relied on digital calipers for every dose. I also looked carefully at each syringe because the markings varied.

6. Mimis mom

So do I-
    I pull out the amount I think looks like the dose based on the lines and then double check it with the caliper, and gently push out extra based on where the calipers actually line up

7. Mimis mom

when you say 3 drops below 50 what do you mean? Can you give me an example?
    Thanks Wendy

8. Mimis mom

well now her PMPS is 72...
    could this mean she's that sensitive to tiny changes in insulin, like a fat or skinny dose?

9. Mimis mom

I also don't think I should give her a dose increase now right?

10. tiffmaxee

I agree with you. I would hold the current dose for now. I hope she behaves herself and surfs nicely. I’d get a +1or 2. Max didn’t ever tell me his plans until +2-3 but ECID.

Mimis mom likes this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

I mean you hold the same dose and don't reduce if she goes below 50 just once. You wait until she's gone under 50 three times on three separate days, then reduce. Or if she goes below 40, then reduce.

Mimis mom likes this.
  12. tiffmaxee

Sorry. I misunderstood your question. I did the three drops under 50 with Max as well.

13. Mimis mom

ohhh Ive heard of such things with more experienced diabetic cats..

So now her +1.5 is 59....

She going to get active on me tonight?

I gave her a dose in between 1.25 and 1.5..
    so on the caliper its 1.65 for 1.25 and 1.98 for 1.5 so I did 1.81...

when should I feed her again?

Also, I remember marje telling me that a lot of you guys feed at +1 +2 and +3 I think it was, and then don't feed till the next shot.
    Is there a post about how often to feed a diabetic cat?

14. Mimis mom

haha, they love to play those tricks on us. Ive mentioned this in previous posts, but ever since I had Mimi give me a 21 before her PM shot a few weeks back, nothing surprises me anymore!! She wanted to "party" that night

15. Mimis mom

which question?

16. tiffmaxee

About going under 50. Wendy answered you.

It looks like an active cycle bud feed a little lc food. I used to feed the curve. I’d feed a little with each test if an active cycle.

How often to feed depends on the numbers and the cat. I’d try to feed several small meals most of it during the first half of the cycle.

Mimis mom likes this.
  17. Mimis mom

18. tiffmaxee

Id get another test about 60 minutes after feeding.

19. Wendy&Neko

Nope, it's ECID. Truly each cat is different and you have to figure out what feeding schedule works for them. Cats that are divers might need early intervention to slow the drop. Others don't. It also depends on when the nadir is (which is again ECID) as you want to feed ideally just in the first part of the cycle before the nadir. After that, the insulin is waning and extra carbs can shorten duration. So try something, stick with it for a couple weeks and see if it has the effect you want. If not, try something different. Feeding and what works for Rosa is a series of experiments.

20. Mimis mom

+3 80 , ate at +2.5

21. Mimis mom

Well, Ive always done every 2-3 hours, and lately Ive been doing +2, +4, +6 and then a little snack at +9, just so her tummy doesn't get too empty, Ive seen her puke before.
    Regardless of ECID I always get nervous her not eating because of her having been DKA, but I might need to get over that and realize that situation was a very calculated experience. She was newly diagnosed, on the wrong insulin (vetsulin), I was skipping doses here and there because I didn't discover this group yet and her having numbers in the 50s mid cycle scared me, not knowing that's a nadir. And she didn't eat for almost an entire day...
    I do notice when she doesn't eat too much before her next shot, her numbers are in the low 100s..
    Since this lockdown Ive been feeding her more randomly (well not exactly random- just not bothering with the feeders, and feeding her around +2, and "around" +4, etc- if that makes sense)