Ming - dropping by with an update

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Crista & Ming, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Crista & Ming

Crista & Ming Well-Known Member

Hello PZI family!

It's December and Happy holidays! Time flies, huh?

I thought I would give an update here since I'm feeling pretty good about Ming right now.

First, he is still the most bounciest kitty ever but when he wants to be low, he does it hard and fast. Last night, he earned his first reduction on Lantus (he hit a 47 at +8.5 which was about 3:30 AM for me which meant NO SLEEP!). I'll say on PZI, he was hitting blues a lot more frequently but not staying flat. Sometimes I look at our PZI days and think: maybe he was doing just fine with it??? But I yearn for those beautiful flat curves on Lantus so we're gonna keep truckin'.

I also tested him for acromegaly and he is NEGATIVE for that so I'm really happy. Vet A was pretty sure he wasn't and I was taking her word for it but of course, speculation doesn't squash all my doubts. Only a true test can. So I was just casually talking to Vet B about it and Vet B loves to cause trouble and said, "Let's just do the test!! Why not??" And I explained that Vet A doesn't think he has it and that I haven't told her that we're doing the test. Vet B joked that Vet A doesn't have to know. When we were taking Ming's blood, Vet A walked by (she was in surgery) and Vet B was like, "No! This is a secret test!! You weren't supposed to know!!" :woot::woot:

He's still on 1.25 mg of pred twice daily. I had initially planned to put him on bupe and cerenia every day but stopped doing that. He seems fine without all those aids ... for now. I give those meds to him sometimes when he's high or when he scarfs and barfs.

I've learned to shoot LOW. Just this morning, I shot him at 76. Didn't even blink. Just gave it.

My mom is the testing queen now. Most of the AM tests you see are her! She is no longer opposed to everything we're doing here. When Ming went down to 52 last night, my mom told me to feed him some FF gravy and I was like, "Oh yeah... I should probably do that." :rolleyes:

I'm leaving in a week for Japan and Hong Kong and won't be back until the new year. I hope Ming does well for my mom. We're still working on his BGs but the difference since switching from PZI to Lantus is really having a much larger support system as opposed to just me and my sister desperately trying to figure out our schedules to help Ming. Since my mom's been on board, it's been so much easier :)

Anyway, hope you are all doing well!

Love,
    Ming and Crista

P.S. Here's a pic of him from in the back OR during a night shift of mine. I had to bring him into work the first 2 weeks he was released from the hospital because his BGs were just insane with all the whack doses he was getting. But that's all in the past!
    IMG_4362.JPG

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You have made a ton of progress and so has Ming! I'm glad your mom has become a testing queen too. Ming is such a handsome boy! :):bighug::bighug::bighug:

Crista & Ming likes this.
  3. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Crista, it's SO great to hear from you! I love it when you stop by and visit!

Ming is absolutely adorable and it sounds like you guys have made tremendous progress...what wonderful news! I know it has to be so much easier for you now that your mom is able to test as well...I remember what a tough time your schedule was causing! Your stress levels must be lower now. I'm sure Ming will do fine with your mom while you're out of the country. You've done SUCH an amazing job with him. He's so lucky to have you!

Crista & Ming likes this.
  4. Debbie & Mishka

Debbie & Mishka Member

He is so gorgeous!!!!