Minky supplies shopping

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by minky and diana, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minky and diana

minky and diana New Member

The more I read, the more complex this feels.
    I need to get a glucometer and strips and choose an insulin for Minky. Strips that sip; start low, go slow; cartridges or pens; different types of insulin.
    Presumably I get a prescription for the insulin from my vet. I get the impression that Lantus or Levemir are both slow acting--therefore a better option?
    Of course , I am more interested in strips that cost 35 cents rather than those that cost $1.
    When I start the insulin, I need to do it on a day that I will be around to test every hour?
    Diana

2. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the Maxima AST meter available from www.hocks.com The test strips sip, the meter reads quickly on a tiny 0.5 microliter drop of blood and the test strips cost $16.50 per 50ct or less if you buy 6 at a time (I think $15 per 50).

You also will need Lancets (Invacare from Hocks cost $1.49 per 100ct) to get the blood drop from the ear. Some people use a Lancet device (I do) and some prefer to "freehand" the poke - just holding the lancet. If you get the Meter Kit, usually a lancet device is included.

Yes - Lantus and Levemir require a prescription. Request that the vet write it for a 5-pack of 3ml pen-style cartridges. Levemir is less fragile than Lantus but is newer (less data / less proven so your vet may not have heard of its use with cats).

No - you do not need to test every hour on the first day. It is helpful to start on a day that you will be home in case your kitty has an adverse reaction and needs a quick trip to the vet.

3. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It is a steep learning curve at first, but know that we have all been where you are and survived! Lots of people like the Relion from Walmart; it is the least expensive and easy to use. It doesn't really matter - you want a meter that sips just a tiny drop (0.3 -0.5) and that has strips you can afford. We got the Precision Xtra from a drug store for free. Then we went on ebay and were able to get strips 1/2 the price of the store, so it was reasonable to use.

As for insulin, people here like Lantus, Levemir and PZI. They are all slow acting and longer lasting. If I were you, I would go to each of the Insulin Support groups(go to the main board index and choose Insulin support groups, then the 3 kinds of insulin) and read the stickies and some of the posts. That way you can get a real good idea of how people are doing with all these insulins and whether they will work for you.

Yes, it would be nice if you were around the day you started. Not to test every hour, but just to watch how Minky is reacting and be available to test if you see anything off. On that first day, be sure to get a test before the am and pm shot and about 4-6 hours after you give the insulin. (It varies with the kind of insulin. You are looking for the nadir - the point at which the insulin takes his bg levels to the lowest point.) Every cat is different. The first day some cats react to insulin right away, others take a few days to react much at all. It will be your job to get and record data. This spreadsheet is a great tool to use: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

Testing every hour is a curve to get more data. It would be better to wait several days at least before you do a curve.

4. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

This is my Hocks shopping list (syringes with half-unit marks, Maxima AST stuff, Lancets)

http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 40030.html
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 10030.html
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... FM-14.html (METER KIT DEAL - Introductory offer with 100 strips)
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... MAX50.html

Needle clipper for safe syringe disposal -- (cut off needle with this and throw the syringe in regular trash)
    http://hocks.com/hocks-healthcare/hocks ... 83796.html

Hocks offers free shipping if your order is above a certain $ amount -- so I buy these products

5. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

depending on your location - you may need a prescription for the syringes too.

I got syringes from Walmart pharmacy (relion brand) sells for about $13/100.

You can also get the relion meter and strips to go with that meter - price wise - they are the least expensive option - and reliability wise - many people use it and are satisfied.

To purchase lantus - I found the least expensive store is Costco pharmacy (at least in NJ). Call around and ask the prices, then go with the cheapest.

hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.