Minnie’s BG still high

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA), May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Its been a week she’s been back on Lantus since they switched her to a fast acting insulin at the hospital last Monday for the endoscopy and Minnie’s BG has remained consistently high. In the 400’s at preshot and 300’s at nadir. Is it possible the depot is still not entirely replenished or should I think about increasing the dose? I hate that her numbers were so great at 2.5 before this ordeal, but also wonder if any of the meds she’s on or even the pneumonia/heart could be a contributing factor to the high BG levels. My worst fear is the neuropathy coming back, so I could use your advice on this since I’m not the most patient person in the world :cool:

2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

I would increase, based on those numbers. When is she due to have the feeding tube removed, or has it already happened? If she's still got it, I'd wait until it was out to increase, just because, as you say, the discomfort could be a contributing factor and the numbers may improve afterward.

3. Nan & Amber (GA)

Hmm, looking at the spreadsheet more closely, I'm reconsidering the increase. She's only been out of the most recent hospitalization a couple days, and you haven't gotten any nighttime tests in a while. I think I'd wait a little longer to better assess this dose.

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The tube is still on and I still don’t have the biopsy results. I don’t know if the holiday delayed it or if they’re just backed up but it’s driving me crazy because I want the tube gone. I haven’t gotten any +2 tests based on how high her preshot numbers have been and I’m trying to minimize all the poking and probing I’m having to do to her daily :( if she’s on antibiotics still fighting the pneumonia, could that increase the numbers along the lines of an UTI? She’s been drinking and peeing a lot but she’s still on the diuretics so I think it’s more that than the diabetes. She has been pretty ravenous when it comes to the food. She’s even eating the food I leave out at night which she never ever did before :nailbiting:

5. Nan & Amber (GA)

Maybe she's just feeling better? :woot:

6. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

OMG the vet just called and I’S IBD NOT CANCER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

7. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sweet words!:bighug: THANK YOU ALE! sigh whew

8. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

She was always a hungry girl :nailbiting:

9. Nan & Amber (GA)

WOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

Yay Minnie!!!!!!

10. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

IBD is totally treatable, just like the diabetes and heart condition is. Do you think you'll use the raw diet again for Minnie? Good for IBD and for the diabetes, as it's low carb. Minimal ingredients in the raw, so there should be less to upset her digestive tract and make the IBD flare.

It will involve a bit of juggling of meds and test times I'm sure, but YOU can DO THIS Ale!

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

WONDERFUL news! Are they going to remove the tube since she’s eating well? You must be soooo relieved. ☹️:bighug::bighug::bighug:

12. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I am SO relived!! The vet said they like the tube to stay for as close to 2 weeks as possible so the tissue around it can heal. I was hoping to have it removed tomorrow, but now planning to remove it this weekend.

So we all agree hold the dosage and don’t increase?

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  13. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’d like to go back to raw but we have to try a novel protein and it may be harder to get right now. I’m thinking Rawz to start. If the budinesone works well she could get off the anti nausea but she will need the heart medication. Although the vet said she was very surprised that nothing happened under the anesthesia and she’s a bit puzzled but we’ll know more after the electrocardiogram

14. tiffmaxee

What do you mean nothing happened under anesthesia?

I wouldn’t wait too long before increasing but I think I’d give her a little more time to get back to normal. She’s had a lot of trauma and pneumonia which could of course increase bg.

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so happy Ale that it's not cancer. I hope this week fly's buy so she can get that tube removed. Minnie is one tough cookie. :cat:

16. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Very good news!

I do have a question about diagnosis of IBD or cancer. I once asked in a facebook group whether to do an endoscopic biopsies of the GI tract to determine if it is IBD or GI cancer. All answers are no, because the treatment for IBD and lymphoma are the same. Is it true?

17. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I was told that too and initially it is but maybe a different steroid is prescribed depending. In my case, I needed to know what’s going on since she got so sick. IBD also requires a different diet than cancer

18. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

She’s my Brazilian Amazon warrior. She’s not a fluffy cat. She came from the mean streets of Rio!!! :D:D:joyful:

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Absolutely not. IBD may or may not need a steroid, and can often be managed with a novel protien diet and probiotics. A steroid and chemo are part of small cell lymphoma treatment. Food doesn't matter for small cell. If IBD is severe enough, the same steroid would be given as for small cell lymphoma. And same considerations, if a heart issue or diabetic, then budesonide.

One other thing, depending on where the inflammation is in the GI, an endoscope may not reach it, and you may need to do diagnosis with a surgical biopsy.

As for the insulin dose, first I would get a couple night time tests, to make sure you aren't missing some night time diving. It wasn't that long ago you saw a 46 on a lower dose. If you do find she's not doing anything interesting at night, I would increase ASAP. She'll be developing glucose toxicity.

20. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

She’s starting the budosodine. They use a compound pharmacy in AZ. Anyway, I’ll check levels tonight and increase to 3.25. I wonder what her levels were there because it must have been even higher

21. jt and trouble (GA)

fingers and paws crossed!

22. Wendy&Neko

As an FYI, when I first started heart meds and budesonide, I saw some temporary higher numbers for a couple days. It was like Neko's body had to learn to get used to the new meds. When she did, the numbers came down again. Either than, or they started to address what was causing inflammation and helping her.

23. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Great more ups and downs to look forward to :banghead::banghead::banghead: well, that’s what I was thinking that maybe the antibiotics and the pneumonia are keeping it high? Although today is the last day of it

24. Deb & Wink

You do need some night time tests Ale. But it does look like Minnie needs a dose increase, starting no later than tomorrow morning, 5/28/20 I'd say.

25. tiffmaxee

26. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Hi Gang,

increased dose since yesterday and numbers are still around the same. I actually got a 500 pmps which is an all time high since I began home testing :( I’m wondering how long till I see any type of improvement in the BG levels. Also wondering if the furosemide or the blood thinner she’s on clopidogrel could be keeping the BG levels high. She finished the antibiotics on Wednesday. Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks!

27. tiffmaxee

Dr. Google says it can increase blood glucose.

https://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/l...orse-owners/furosemide-for-dogs-and-cats.html

According to this it’s rare but can happen.

28. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Furosemide right? Yes I just called the same doctor ;)

29. tiffmaxee

Yes. Lol. How does she seem to be feeling?

30. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

A bit low in energy since yesterday but still doing well. Can’t wait for Sunday to get the tube out!

31. jt and trouble (GA)

(((((Ale))))) :bighug:(((((Minnie)))))

32. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Hospital called with the results of the culture for the area where the tube is and they found 2 types of bacteria. They want me to go over options with the vet tomorrow as the idea is she’s need 2 types of antibiotics to clear it all up :nailbiting:

33. jt and trouble (GA)

Well crap :( Poor Minnie needs a break Lord!

34. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

And how are her BG levels suppose to come down with all these infections?!!! :mad::mad::mad:

35. jt and trouble (GA)

36. Deb & Wink

They will in time Ale, but certainly right now it must be super frustrating for you that Minnie is so high.
    Heart disease trumps diabetes, so she'll need to stay on the furosemide. Not sure there is a substitute, but you could ask your vet.

So if the furosemide or any of the other medications causes her BG levels to be higher, you dose around that and any other medications that Minnie needs. Which means that Minnie may need a touch more insulin than a cat that is not on the same meds.

Although, the heart meds did not cause Wink's BG levels to go up. ECID Every Cat is Different. You probably want to throw that acronym right out the window and into the closest trash bin, you're so sick of hearing it. :p:joyful::p

What is your favorite color again? So I can lend you a pair of patience pants. How about these?
    rubber duckies pants in black.jpg

37. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

LOL and true dat!!!

green and orange please :p:smuggrin::oops:

38. Deb & Wink

Green Patience pants.png
    Sedate, simple,matronly, not your style.
    Now these scream Ale!!!!! to me. Bold, colorful, green and orange but also red yellow and blue. They might keep you awake at night, they are so loud.
    [​IMG]

39. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I do like the green ones and I love that shade of green too! :kiss:

40. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Picking up Minnie now. The echo didn’t reveal anything so vet thinks it was a one time thing and I’m reducing the fumosedine, but there’s still pneumonia :( Starting her on 2 new antibiotics tonight :nailbiting: No wonder she was feeling crappy since yesterday like I would if I had it too o_O

41. jt and trouble (GA)

Awww many prayers for "our" Minnie sigh. Lets hope the pneumonia gets taken down fast.

Hang in there Ale. :bighug:

42. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m taking the win that there may not be anything permanent wrong with her heart because the pneumonia is temporary and 2 antibiotics should do the trick dear god! :banghead::banghead::banghead: She’s on Veraflox and Doxycycline now in case anyone has ever used these before :bookworm:
    Also, the spot where the tube was is an open wound now that they said will close by itself in a week or 2. Any tips on how to keep it protected are appreciated if anyone has gone through this before

43. Wendy&Neko

Not having a permanent heart thing to deal with is awesome! FYI on the Lasix/furosemide, we had one member who was giving it as injectable and found it impacted blood sugar and when she went to pills, it did not. Neko's was liquid, but a tiny dose that did not impact her BG.

Is Minnie wearing a onsie or baby T-shirt to protect her tube site?

44. tiffmaxee

Great news about the echo! Maybe the bg is high due to the infection from the tube?

45. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

The vet said it’s most likely the pneumonia

46. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm praying the 2 new antibiotics will get rid of the pneumonia , this precious kitty needs to catch a break.

47. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

She’s taking the liquid form but they cut back the dose to half today. No she’s not. Should I ask them? I asked them what we should do to protect it and they seemed to think it would be fine exposed. It seems a bit risky to me

48. jt and trouble (GA)

They may want it open so it doesnt close off completely and cause an abscess?
    Sending Minnie positive healing thoughts!:bighug:
    Sending you calming vines. ;):coffee:

49. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I asked the vet to call me tonight and in the meantime, I’m metroMacgivering a tee for her. I’d like a good night sleep soon:rolleyes: :coffee::coffee::coffee:

50. jt and trouble (GA)

51. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Spoke with the vet and they want the wound to breathe so it heals faster and if it’s wrapped it will get humid or wet and not heal as well. I have however made her an improvised bib that will cover the area but not be tight around it. I’ll post a pic once I’ve got it on her. For now she’s still chilling most of the day so didn’t see the need to and I’m watching her like a hawk :cool: 86FB85FE-FF76-4BDB-A648-47D574F9BE04.jpeg

52. Diane Tyler's Mom

That precious little face of hers, It makes sense with what the vet says, good idea about the bib, as long as air gets in. :bighug:

53. jt and trouble (GA)

Minnie looks well and content. You've done an outstanding job Ale. Your strength and dedication has paid off!:bighug:

54. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

thank you my friend :kiss:

She’s not super thrilled with all the liquid meds but she’s starting to feel better and jumped on my bed this am to take a nap :bighug: also her levels went down to the 300’s :bighug::bighug::bighug:

55. jt and trouble (GA)

:D Never thought I'd be so thrilled to see a 300 reading ...GO MINNIE GO!!!

56. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

OMG I know right??! You and me both :smuggrin::joyful::D

57. jt and trouble (GA)

58. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

How Beautiful Minnie is ..... Praying get better Minnie you are a very loved little girl

59. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I think I get an A+ for metroMacgivering ladies especially since I can’t sow or even reattach a button :arghh:
    DAA6A953-211E-485A-9E9F-DB93938C34A3.jpeg

60. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Ale that’s a Great idea but will Minnie keep it on ? Minnie looks very happy

61. jt and trouble (GA)

You n me both sistah

62. Diane Tyler's Mom

Ale you did a good job making that little collar, I'm so happy her pre shots are coming down and that she jumped on your bed, go Minnie go:bighug::cat:

63. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

You can’t see the back but I put a safety pin to keep it tight on her neck and she’s still pretty mellow and not very active, but even when she’s 100% she’s not a super active cat. The most she’ll do is roll over to sun bathe and try to chase mice but mainly she just stares at them. I’ll take it off at night when she’s inside

64. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey as long as it stays on, Tyler isn't very active either, he's a big blob lol
    Plays a little bit, if he's tossing around a little toy and it lands out of his teach he will just lay there and stare at it, he's lazy

Only time he's active is when he decides to beat his brother up, I stop him asap
    Then he goes after him again.
    Perry is much smaller than Tyler but let me tell you Perry is like a raptor lol you should see him go after Tyler
    Tyler eats, pees and poops and then it's lights out for him, snoring away loud,sometimes I have to wake him up he's so loud

65. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

LOL yeah that’s Minnie in a nutshell only she’s the one being bullied by Bobo. I often have to get him away from her she’s clearly yelling at the top of her lungs and he won’t stop. They were kittens when I rescued them and I think Bobo never learned when to stop biting as he might have from an older sibling

66. Diane Tyler's Mom

Awe poor Minnie, here is something really strange that Tyler does sometimes, when he wants more food he will attack Perry until I get up and give him some. Then I'll give him a little boot in the butt for doing that to Perry
    He's a weirdo, don't let that face fool you lol

67. Diane Tyler's Mom

IMG_20180221_153714.jpg just look at Tyler go lol

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  68. Diane Tyler's Mom

69. jt and trouble (GA)

LOOK OUT! Its the Ginger patrol! :p

70. Diane Tyler's Mom

Too funny Jeanne:cat:

71. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Ale just wanted to check in and ask how is Minnie doing ?

72. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Thank you for asking :kiss:

she’s doing well, although a bit of diarrhea last night and I have a call in with the vet to see if I can give her more of the endosorb solution. She’s on at least 3 different meds that can cause diarrhea :arghh:

BG numbers started to come down and I actually gave her a bit of a token dose this am :bighug:

other than that, she keeps licking the spot where the wound is when she’s grooming and managed to remove the crusty lawyer that was forming there so she may have to sleep with her bib on :nailbiting:

73. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Someone has a thing for redheads! :D:joyful::smuggrin:

74. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

75. Dusty & Roe

Dusty & Roe Member

Ale she looks like a Beautiful Happy Kitty I adore that pink nose

76. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I’m very partial to the pink nose, pink gums and pink paws :cat::cat::cat:

Deb & Wink likes this.
  77. jt and trouble (GA)

:bighug: she looks so bright and alert! Thats because she has SUCH a good mama taking care of her.;)

78. Diane Tyler's Mom

79. Deb & Wink

New thread for sweet, sweet Minnie? Please? Pretty please?

80. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

I did did you miss it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.