Minou is out of surgery

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen & Angus(GA), Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

Thank you for all of your good wishes!

I talked to the surgeon and she said everything went well. Her liver "has a definite fatty appearance" and she took 3 samples. She took two each of the stomach, small intestine, and large instestine. The intestines are "somewhat thickened". She was unwilling to offer an opinion (I understand) and I won't get the biopsy results for about two weeks. Due to the extent of the biopsies, they want to keep her until at least Saturday. I am to call in the morning and, if she is doing well, I can visit in the afternoon.

Do you think visiting will upset her?

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

I am glad she is out, safe and sound.

As for visiting..you know her best as to whether it would agitate her or not..

Hugs

Jen

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I am glad everything went well. Those two weeks will be endless.

If it were any one of my cats, I would be there to visit. But as Jen said, you know Minou best.

4. JJ & Gwyn

JJ & Gwyn Member

If visiting would upset her, perhaps you might drop off a worn-but-unwashed t-shirt or something similar that smells of you? That way, she'd still get some comfort from your 'presence' overnight.

5. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

glad everything went well :)

to visit or not - as jen writes, you know best. we visited meowzi the day after her surgery when she was not discharged - we had driven over (90 min drive) hoping she'd be, and was in the parking lot already when they told us she could not come home. so we spent the day with her. she was too zonked from pain meds to notice anything - we could hardly get her to eat - so our visit didn't seem upsetting to her at all. eta: i'd like to think she was aware of our presence and that at least comforted her.

the second surgery 6 weeks later, i asked to look in on her while she was in recovery right after surgery. bad mistake. she was conscious and although she was all doped up, she got very agitated and upset and cried when she saw me and couldn't get to me. my leaving without her probably made it worse. luckily she was allowed to come home the next day.

good luck, whatever you decide, and i hope saturday comes quickly for her and for you.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

So glad everything went ok. Continued prayers it stays that way.
    j.

7. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Glad to hear things went well. Hopefully the biopsies will come in sooner; the 2 weeks is a "max", sometimes there can be a quicker turnover.

From what I've seen, most cats do benefit from visits. Dogs sometimes become more agitated, but cats seem to be more emotionally stable. Also, some cats are "social eaters" and want to eat with their humans there so if she's permitted to have food yet, ask them to bring a variety of foods to tempt her (or bring a favorite from home).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.