Miralax for Finnicky Girl

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mocha aka Cold Play, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

Hi all. Just went thru a flashback that scared me horribly. My Latte was making a scene scurrying from the litter box. Thankfully, I was nearby to hear this and check her out. She had a stool only partially extended and it was annoying her. So, I used wet paper towels to loosen, remove and then cleaned her hair from the messy stool smell with a cat wipe. Why this horrified me is my first cat experienced this only once that I knew and it was more of an issue. But, he went to the vet and he had end state kidney failure.

Many of you know, I just lost Mocha to the same dreaded disease.

I took Latte in to the vet for a check up about a month ago and he said all was well. He does not order blood work unless issues detected.

I would like to try Miralax with her but I understand there is a powder with no taste? Can't it be added into the wet food juice? If there is any taste or smell to it, she will walk.

I saw this dose: Measure 1/8 teaspoon of the Miralax and dissolve into water as per the package instructions. If your cat will drink the Miralax mixture allow him too, but he needs to drink all of it. If he will not drink the mixture, you need to administer it with a syringe. Simply load a syringe (available from your vet or at more pet stores) with the mixture and slowly squirt into his mouth. Try to aim for about mid-way into your cat's mouth. Too close to the front and it can dribble out. Too far back and you can hit his gag reflex.

She probably will not consume all of it so does this mean I must syringe? That won't go well. She is cat dramatic with anything near her mouth.

Tips appreciated. I will monitor her and she has good stools generally since I have the cat grass for her to munch on several times a day plus wet food over the day.

How long will the miralax need to improve?

Thanks.

Kari

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Miralax is tasteless and does dissolve easily in a very small amount of water. Add 2 or 3 ml of water. Stir briskly, then let it sit for a few minutes. If not all dissolved, add another ml of water. Since you are only syringing a small amount, you are likely to get the full dose in. I find a shot glass with a rounded bottom works best.

Miralax works by drawing water into the colon. It takes a day or two to work. Make wet food a bit soupy to compensate.

1/8 tsp is a starting dose. Some cats need that twice a day. Some cats (mine) need 1/4 tsp twice a day.

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I added 1/8 teaspoon to a little food when Max started to have dry stool. It is tasteless. I have put it in coffee myself a few times. If I know Max will eat it goes in his regular food. Otherwise I put it in a little baby food after he gets his gelcap medication. It's a dose to effect thing and can take a few days to take effect. Now that Max is at least stage 3 CKD he gets it twice a day. :bighug:

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Hi Kari! Mr. Finicky Doodles gets a 1/4 tsp in his food twice a day and it's the one thing he doesn't detect. It's a balancing act though to find what they need. Starting with 1/8 tsp twice a day is good. Watch her stools...you may need more or less, once a day or twice a day.

5. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

@Doodles & Karen
    @tiffmaxee
    @Red

Thrilled to report that while I detected a smell from the bottle, she has not detected it sprinkled on her wet food @ 1/8tsp. Thanks! :cat:
    :cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::cat:

6. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Great. I mix it in the food with a little water.

Mocha aka Cold Play likes this.
  7. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Good to hear. I sprinkle it on Smokey food and mix it in then add wee bit of water. He told me I could go up to 1/4tsp twice a day. I also put pumpkin in the food I don't put the miralax in.

Mocha aka Cold Play likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.