Miralax question

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ohiogal, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohiogal

ohiogal Member

Hi all,

My kitty Casey is on 1 unit of Lantus 2x a day, and to make a long story short, up until this past weekend she was on Lactulose to treat chronic constipation.

At the suggestion of several fine people on this board, I took her off the Lactulose (which has sugar in it) and over the weekend started her on 1/8 tsp. of Miralax mixed in with water and her food, 2x a day.

Yesterday morning she pooped, but nothing since. She usually poops about once a day, but my concern is that the Miralax isn't doing the job as well as the Lactulose is, and she's going back to being constipated again. Which is obviously no good.

So my question is: should I up the dose of Miralax? Is Miralax safe to give long-term? Does it take a while for Miralax to "kick in"? What should my expectations be?

Thanks for any help!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Was the volume eliminated about the same, or a different size (larger or smaller) than usual?

If it was larger than usual, it could be that more went out, so more can collect.
    If less than usual, she may need an increase ... but I'd discuss this with a knowledgeable vet or if anyone on the board uses it and knows. (I don't; sorry)

3. Jenn & Baxter

Jenn & Baxter Well-Known Member

Recently, Dr. Lisa comment on a thread about Miralax. The question asked was very similar to yours.
    Here is the thread scroll down some & you will see her recommendation.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=61627

I hope this helps.
    Jenn & Baxter
    cat_pet_icon

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

from the post mentioned above

"Miralax is my first choice - dosed to effect starting with 1/8 tsp twice daily in food and working up from there. It is very safe and effective."

5. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Water. Are you adding lots of water to the food? The miralax will work only if there is water to draw from the body to soften the stool.

I soup my cats' foods. You could try 50% water to the amount of food would be a good start.
    One of my cats has what the vet called 'slow stool', so I was putting about 1/4 tsp in each of his meals. If you don't get good enough results with the 1/8tsp and more water, try to up the powder and water. You can adjust the powder when you see the 'results'. If a little loose, decrease a bit, but if still too firm, increase a bit more.

Whatever works for YOUR cat is good.... just know that you may need to make the odd adjustments from time to time.

6. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Racci takes Miralax. It's better because it has no taste or odor or sugar and is very safe. I give between 1/8 and 1/4 tsp in her water dishes. She has 3 dishes in different rooms and drinks from all. I encourage her to drink by carrying her small bowl to her every test and shot. Once she's gone, I change her water. She's been going regularly once a day this way. It did take a couple of days to get her regulated and figure out the best way to work it for her. She did not poop for 2 days and had 2 mushy movements following hard balls the first time. After that, she had two extra large movements of normal hard texture. She is normal since then, going once a day and feels much better.

I think Racci's problem is her neuropathy and her arthritis & furballs, so I am going to keep giving it to her. I have actually caught her resting in between struggling by lying in her litter box, my poor baby.

Melanie & Racci

7. ohiogal

ohiogal Member

Well, we're getting poop! It's very dark, though. Is that normal?

Also, can I do this long-term?

Thanks!

8. Karen & Smokey(GA)

Karen & Smokey(GA) Well-Known Member

Long term: Absolutely, yes !

Be sure to provide additional water somehow....like mixing some into the kitty's canned food.
    (Do not add water to dry food...it can mold/mildew very quickly).

Dark poop....wait it out a few days and see it things improve.

Maybe it's just the 'backlog' working its way out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.