? Misha need advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tiri, May 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiri

Tiri New Member

Good morning guys
    unfortunately, yesterday we got a diagnosis
    Diabetes
    I am happy to hear all recommendation regarding pen, insulin, glucometer, and food.
    I really want to help her asap. I am afraid that the bill will kill us.
    I would like to use your experience to avoid expensive mistakes.
    She lost her weight very quickly and at the same time, her appetite has increased and she is mad when I feed her. She stole food from our plates and dog's bowl. She is a mixed-breed.
    Cheers!!!!

3 months difference between the pics.:(

Attached Files:

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Are you in the united States or somewhere else? Insulin... A longer acting one like lantus or ProZinc is recommended. Don't use the pen, you can't fine tune doses like with syringes. The syringes you get will depend on which insulin you get. Get ones with half unit markings so it's easier to do fractional doses.

Food... Switch to all wet, low carb. There is a link to the food list in my signature. Pick foods under 10 percent carb (under 7 is even better). Many people feed fancy feast classic or Friskies pate foods. I feed Tiki cat for the lower phosphorus. No dry food.

AliceMeowliss (GA) likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

Oh the glucose meter.... So glad you're planning on testing. I use alpha track which is a pet meter and probably what your vet uses. To offset the cost of strips I use freestyle insulinx strips in the alpha and have found it very accurate (I compare them to the alpha strips). Many on here use a human meter and that's fine too. It will read lower than the vet but can still tell you if your cat is high or low. You can get one at any pharmacy. I would say pick one that takes a small 0.3 size sample.

4. Tiri

Tiri New Member

Thank you !
    I really appreciate it
    We live in England so not all products are available here but believe I will find good and accurate replacements.
    Food chart is amazing. I bought glucose meter but I am really worry to stab her .we will see

5. JanetNJ

The first few injections are scary, but honestly the needle is so small they barely feel it. There is a UK chart... Hang in I'll find a link....

6. JanetNJ

7. Tiri

Tiri New Member

!!!! that's really helpful! great ! thank you

8. AnitaW

AnitaW New Member

Hi all. I’m in NewZealand. My cat Rosie was very sick with pancreatitis. Once that was sorted she came out diabetic. Vets not sure if it is permanent yet. I have found that Rosie’s personality has changed. More standoffish, doesn’t sit with us anymore and we don’t get cuddles anymore. She use to be quite an outside cat but now prefers to curl up in the spare room. We lost our other cat While she was so sick so not sure if she is grieving or if it is the insulin. She is on lantus.
    I have read a few things that have helped already on this site so thanks.
    Anita

9. JanetNJ

BTW, I would take off the GA prefix... It means gone ahead. People use it when the cat has died.

10. Tiri

Tiri New Member

oh sorry haha I press it by mistake and had no idea what is mean

11. JanetNJ

I didn't know at first either. I thought it was like a question for General Audiences. Lol

12. Julie and Honey

Julie and Honey Well-Known Member

Hi Anita,
    Saw your post about Rosie here. If you have future questions about Rosie feel free to start a new thread in the main Health forum. This was under an existing thread and might not get as much attention if you had a question because someone else started the thread. I know this whole thing can be confusing, just want to make sure if you have concerns about your kitty they get noticed and people will respond directly to you.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.