Missed insulin

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Adonis' Mom, Apr 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adonis' Mom

Adonis' Mom New Member

Hi all,

This morning I tried to give my 14 year old cat his insulin injection twice and he jumped out of my lap. He gets Lantus insulin 1 unit twice a day. Is it ok to wait until tonight to give him his injection. I have been doing it at the scruff of the neck, would there be a better place to do it?

thank you,

Adonis' Mom

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Our first diabetic Nigel was very cooperative but after 18 months his numbers went up. Before we upped his dose I thought he might be getting scar tissue (that's doubtful) and when I switched to his back shoulder everything went back to normal. Noah gets his in the shoulder, not enough meat on his scruff. The missed dose, it's 2:40 here. Check his numbers now. I can't keep Noah on a 12/12 schedule and I would give him a 1/4 dose if I were really late but that's only Noah. I can't ethically advise either way, best to watch his levels and at least do him early tonight.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Yes, you can wait until tonight. You might have to change the location of the injections. I sit on the bath mat on the floor in my bathroom, door closed. I put my cat between my legs facing forward. If getting down on the floor won't work, maybe on the couch or the bed? You can use the scruff for now until you're sure you have a secure way of corralling him.

4. Noah & me (GA)

I see you joined today which doesn't mean you don't know what you're doing. We have an expression, fur shot, which means a complete miss. I've seen vets do this with vaccinations, squirt right across the room. It's not a tragedy as long as you're on top of things. The 12/12 thing? I've broken all the rules as far as food, eating schedules, strict dosing advice. That only comes after years of knowing what works and what doesn't. This isn't medical school, you can't fail. Kris & Teasel are correct, you can miss a shot without killing you cat. It's one part rocket surgery, one part Voodoo.

5. Noah & me (GA)

How did it go tonight?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.