Mittens and Jody

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jody Banta, May 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

Hi am a newbie here but not with Diabetes, Had a dog who had it so I went to my canine diabetes site to see if there was a cat one and this is how I found you all. My cat Mittens and I would like to say hello.

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Jody and extra sweet Mittens! Welcome to the best place you never wanted to be. You'll find a big difference in the treatment for a diabetic dog and diabetic cat. I'm glad you landed here!

We look forward to learning more about Mittens and you both! Just post questions in our Health forum. Poke around too - lots of info here.

HUGS!

Jody Banta likes this.
  3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

4. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

what are some of the differences in treating a cat verses a dog? other then different numbers from what I can tell and a cat can go into remission other then that I do the same thing with her as I did with my dog. I even use the same kind of Insulin ( novlin N from Wal-mart) I check her sugar in the morning before feeding her and mid-day and evening again. I find it more difficult to get her to eat at a certain time she just grazes all day so I let her. I have 2 cats so now they both are eating the same thing. Grain free! I feed them Fancy Feast Classic and a can Food called Daves which is Wheat and Gluten free, and Nutri Source Pure Vita Holistic pet foods for dry.

5. Yong & Maury GA

Just a quick note and I could be wrong, I just use formulas I've found through research, but the carb content for your dry food - NutriSource Pure Vita Holisitc is too high for a diabetic kitty. Grain-free does not mean Carb-free. There are 3 acceptable dry foods for diabetic cats.
    Young Again Zero / Zero Mature: 0 - 2% dry matter carb
    EVO Cat and Kitten (Purple bag): 6 - 8% dry matter carbs
    Dr. Elsey's Clean Protein Chicken: 2.2 - 5.7 dry matter carbs

Nutri Source Pure Vita Holistic: Dry Matter carbs
    29 - 35% Chicken and Peas
    31 - 36.6% Salmon and Peas
    32.2 - 37.8% Duck and Red Lentils

6. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

N is a good insulin for dogs. However, cats metabolizes insulin faster than dogs (and humans) and thus N only lasts 8-10 hours in most cats and thus is not a good insulin for most cats

7. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

My cat seems to be doing fine on N, actually there are days were she goes without insulin cause her numbers are in the normal range ( in the low 100's) or if its higher seems like she only needs 1 shot. seems she goes high in the morning cause she grazes all nite. Well now I have taken away her food when we go to bed and now in the morning her sugar is in the low 100's, so no shot.

8. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

Those are some awesome numbers, Jody! I 'm hoping for remission too!
    I wonder if changing the brand of the dry food like Yong mentioned would do it (because of the carbs)?

Another thing to consider, one of my crystals boys when he was diagnosed with crystals, the vet told me, "with these numbers it's likely diabetes", but I knew it was crystals because I have another crystals boy... We were there on a Friday, ecause by some force of nature bad stuff always seems to happen after normal vet hours. So I took my boy home for the weekend with knowledge of where the local kitty ER was... what a weekend... when I brought Tristan back in on the next Monday for additional tests and more sub-q fluids, the tech and vet said, "we didn't think he was going to even survive the weekend". They were shocked I had a very much alive cat in my arms. Once you go through crystals... the second time is easier. (I imagine it's like you going through diabetes with your dog, and now your cat.) Back to the point.... Tristan didn't have diabetes, but because of other issues, pain, and being forced to go to the vet his glucose numbers ran high. Is it possible your Mittens just had an infection and caused a misdiagnosis like my Tristan? (I am very new to the world of diabetes... so my experience is limited...)

Also, I am very jealous of Mittens pulling numbers in the hundreds just after diagnosis! If you check out my spreadsheet, we're very happy when we have a day where we're not in the 500's...

Welcome!

9. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

AlphaCat likes this.
  10. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

That really is wonderful that her sugar is back in normal levels!
    So happy for you both!!!

11. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

I have only been checking her BG in the morning I wonder when I no longer need to check? If she starts drinking alot and peeing more do I restart checking her? I really hope this is the end of diabetes for her cause we have several trips planned and one is for 3 weeks and I really don't know who could give her shots and check her sugar for us while we are gone. Thats the part that gives me the most anxiety when I hear your pet has DIABETES!

12. AlphaCat

AlphaCat Member

I'm not sure on that question, there's a few others on this site that their kitties are in remission, but they stick around to help others. I know one of the mods does that and also @JanetNJ ... perhaps they could answer about when to stop testing?

13. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I still check a few times a month.... Some only check once a month. It's harder to get a cat back into remission the second time around, so the key is to catch it as early as possible.

AlphaCat likes this.
  14. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

thanks for the info I think I will gradually reduce checking her BG

15. Yong & Maury GA

Just remember, you won't ever want to completely stop spot checking Mittens. It's remission, not a cure :). When she receives no insulin for 14 days, she is officially OTJ (off the juice) and in remission. Good luck to you guys and hope you can enjoy your vacation! :woot:

Kris & Teasel and AlphaCat like this.
  16. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

well she went 8 days without a shot then the other day had to give her a shot her sugar was in the 200's now today her sugar has been fine no shots low 100's. I am going to try a new dry food that EVO to see if that will keep her sugar lower. she sure does like her dry kibble but I am going to keep feeding mainly wet and put food away at nite.

AlphaCat likes this.
  17. JanetNJ

Yeah def no regular dry. Evo is 12%, Dr elsley's is 5 %, and Young Again Zero carb is 1%.

18. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

I looked in the food stores around here no one carries young again :( I will look on -line also. looks like it's around $30 for a 4# bag! WOW thats expensive.

19. JanetNJ

It's only available online. It is expensive. But I will say it lasts longer than a regular bag. If you are considering it you can ask them for a free sample.

20. Jody Banta

Jody Banta New Member

will do

21. Yong & Maury GA

My 8lb bag lasts Maury about the same time his old food of 28lbs lasted :blackeye:. YAZ is nutrient dense so less fills them up :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.