Mittens - diagnosed about a month ago

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MittensKittens, Nov 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MittensKittens

MittensKittens New Member

Hello all, my name is Kat and one of our cats has been diagnosed about a month ago.

Mittens is about 7 years old, she is a rescue so we aren't quite sure about her age or breed. She is big, poufy and extremely cranky, which were all the reasons why nobody adopted her. We've had her for four years now and she received a clean bill of health at her yearly checkups.

I noticed her drinking a lot one day - she actually drank until she vomited - and called our vet. We had an appointment the next day. That night she was peeing everywhere and started walking on her hocks.

By now the initial shock has worn off a little and we have our routine down fairly well, she gets one unit every 12 hours, and I've been peeking at the forums for a while. I'm looking forward to talking to everyone!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Welcome! If you have any questions please write in the main health forum where more eyes will see it. Are you giving b12 methylcobalamin for the neuropathy?

3. MittensKittens

MittensKittens New Member

Thank you! I just found out about that today since our vet didn't mention anything (we are set to go back next week, she said she would address that then) but I'm looking into finding it - we live in a small town in Canada, but I will check our health food store tomorrow before I order it online.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Great. There are two forms of b12. You are looking for b12 methylcobalamin, not the one that starts with a c. This is a popular one folks use. Zobalineā„¢ (for Diabetic Cats) 3 mg x 60 tabs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008G3LI2M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9FveAb9KJB2TG

5. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You have to order Zobaline from the US and it's quite expensive once you pay for shipping, etc. and there's always a chance it won't make it across the border. One thing you can do instead is buy a human B12 supplement at a pharmacy or health food store. Read the label to make sure it's methylcobalamin and doesn't have any sugar in it. They don't include the folic acid that Zobaline has but they should help.

These supplements usually come in a variety of doses in micrograms from 250 mcg to 1000 mcg. Zobaline tablets are 3 mg each so you'd need to give several B12 supplements tablets a day to reach that dose. If you can get 1000 mcg tablets, each one equals 1 mg so giving three a day should do. They're tasteless and fall apart easily in water. Just crush one in a little water in her food dish and mix her food into it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.