Mocha 2/17 kidney failing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mocha aka Cold Play, Feb 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

Mocha spit up some early this morning.

Only wants water. Drank 4 oz overnight.

Would not eat the gravy can 3% she loved yesterday.

No stool this am.

Only would eat kibble and small amt of the can wet.

Took to vet 10:00, return 10:45 Fire alarm in all the garage and interior. After wheeling her thru the alarm in 2 garages, heard alarm inside and wheeled her back to car and left to avoid the alarm. Sat on the perimeter in the car with her and she was fine. After 30 minutes left to go get more of the canned food she loved yesterday and she was fine in the car the short time.

Get back and she will only eat kibble, will not even eat the SALMON Bites. I just tested her! 79! What! After a vet visit, a blood draw, and a car ride and the above alarm and getting in she was only 79?! How? The stress should have spiked her. Scarey.

Vet said he did not detect anything (old vet I have had some control issues with for insulin but had no choice since new vet booked til late tomorrow.) He thankfully did not question her diabetes or the insulin, as I just said she has come into normal range after the move and the last few days were very good.

He is testing her organs and should get the results this afternoon. Never knew IDEX is a few streets away from his cinic. While I would like to move her elsewhere, I love that his office is quiet and he always gets me in immediately and will talk to you anytime you call. I guess we wait and see.

She did eat the kibble only since back and drank lots of water. She has LEFT kibble on her table after eating not that much.

What I don't like, besides not liking the gravy can anymore, is she did not flinch or cry with the blood draw. He has always had problems with her moving and him poking her 2x to get it. She did not move. That scares me.

I feel sick. I just don't think this is good.

Her hydration is good. As I wondered if an IV to help appetite would help but will see what develops.

He did say cut the dose in 1/2 tonight. Which appears to be a divide here in opinion to give the same regardless of food or 1/2. I just am overwhelmed.

Thanks for your concern for us.

Ketones tested just now after vet, NEGATIVE

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Are you okay? Do you want to delete this thread? Just change the subject line to Hello or something and we'll all get it. But I hope all is okay!

Mocha aka Cold Play likes this.
  3. Mocha aka Cold Play

posted in health but no replies have to go... maybe pancreatitis

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Good luck! I hope Mocha is okay. And you, too!

5. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Okay, do not panic. She may be rejecting foods she liked before because she felt sick the last time she ate them and the body kind of naturally says "don't eat that again."

As for her being docile, well, she probably feels like sh*t. Not eating can do that.

Just take it one step at a time.

If she has pancreatitis, it is treatable. I had it myself. It makes you feel terrible. I made it to the ER (driven in by DH) and walked in, but I actually looked at the person behind the desk and just put my head down and could not talk. I was profoundly exhausted. They could have amputated my leg or something in the waiting room and I would not have cared. But it is treatable.

One step at a time, Kari. Don't think the worst!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Some cat's numbers drop with stress. It's not what you'd expect, but it happens.

Have you looked over Marje's Primer on Pancreatitis? I know several people linked it for you. The fact that Mocha is eating (vs looking at food and walking away) makes it sound like she's not nauseated. If the vet was poking her abdomen and she didn't seem uncomfortable, if it is p'titis, you may be catching it early (which also means that you may not get an elevated reading on a Spec fPLI).

At this point, you need to have the blood work to get a handle on what may be going on. It could be something as simple at s UTI. Like Lydia said, one step at a time.

7. Mocha aka Cold Play

Thanks for perspective. I think going thru severe ups and downs with my first kitty and then losing that battle to kidney failure has stamped in my mind here we go again and be prepared for the worse. I am trying to hold it together.

I still have an appt at new vet tomorrow 3:50pm. Will see what transpires today and if I stay with him (old vet) So hard. If she does need fluids, he is excellent with giving them on Sunday, even though he is closed. He helped my precious Zeb so I was not running to an emergency clinic. And, his office is peaceful. Just riding this out for now.

8. Mocha aka Cold Play

Are UTI detected in the blood draws usually? He mentioned checking organs but it may be a full panel. I wonder if she only wants kibble because she is so low. No more vomit since early this morning. Water is the main thing she wants.

9. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

(((Kari)))
    I'm so sorry Mocha is not feeling well. It's good that she's eating, even if just a little bit of kibble.
    I think urine needs to be tested to confirm a uti, but a high WBC can indicate that it's possible.
    She'll get over this, whatever it is. Hopefully you get to the bottom of it soon.

:bighug::bighug:

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

No...they can't tell a UTI from a blood draw. You can tell if there is infection but not specifically a UTI.. It has to be urine. But usually with a UTI, she would be trying to pee and very little coming out or maybe peeing outside the box, and often...but not always...numbers go up with a UTI.

I wish he would have given her something for the symptoms.

11. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

12. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

More hugs, Kari.
    I hope the results of the blood work will give you some answers...

:bighug::bighug::bighug:

13. Mocha aka Cold Play

Have not seen those signs. When she urinated later this morning and ketones were negative it was a typical stream for her and no sign of issue.

14. Mocha aka Cold Play

Please pray for me it is severe kidney issues. I have been thru this before and failed.

15. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

((((Kari)))) I'm sorry. Please don't despair. Everyone here will do al they can can to help. I know you must be reeling right now.

16. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Paws crossed for you and Mocha, Kari. Please keep us updated of course :bighug:

17. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

So sorry Mocha is so sick, this is rough right when her numbers start looking good, this may not have anything to do with it but one of my drivers was put on a new blood glucose pill, he had been running in the 250 range and dropped into the 90's, he said he had never felt so bad in his life. I will be praying for you and sending good vibes that it is not anything serious.

18. Mocha aka Cold Play

he said if the worst was a 10, she is an 8. This breaks my heart. I went thru this a mere 8 years ago and it nearly killed me physically. I could not eat, the constant up and down, crying uncontrollably that he would be lost and then he was good and then terrible. It was the worst 4 weeks of my life and I lost him. I feel like this battle can't be won. She has a terrible immune system, has since adoption. I don't know that she can get over this.

He gave an iv and an antibiotic for 3 weeks (those have worked in the past the best). I go back tomorrow. I feel I am reliving 8 years ago. It is too much.

I will probably fade off for awhile.

19. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

Kari, I don't have any words of wisdom except that I'm very sorry. Try to hang in there and we're all here for you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: Sending mega vines and prayers your way.

20. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

21. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hang in there, Kari. We're here for you - let us know how we can help.

22. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Oh Kari, I am so sorry that this was the news that you received. Praying for a miracle! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

23. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug:I'm so sorry. It can be a tough battle for sure. We were hit with similar shocking news about Trixie almost 2 years ago - out of the blue, she was in Stage IV kidney failure! With a lot of support, she is still going strong and feeling good 99.9% of the time.

One thing I want to recommend is having Mocha's blood pressure checked. High BP can affect the kidney values; Trix's was high and once we got it under control, her kidneys improved - she went from Stage IV to Stage III.

We also give her daily fluids, and she gets anti-nausea meds daily, too - that keeps an upset tummy at bay and as a result, she eats quite well!

It is possible that Mocha has an infection - that could be driving those kidney values up, too, and if that's the case, getting the infection under control will improve the kidneys.

By any chance, do you have a copy of the labs? If not, get them and post them here...there are several folks (@Marje and Gracie ) who are really good at interpreting the values.

Please know we are here to support you in any way possible. Sending tons of hugs and prayers.

24. Mocha aka Cold Play

Will get it tomorrow and post late morning and ask about what you mention. He did not detect anything else.

What was especially hard was she was shaking for the entire iv and for some time after, even into her jaw. My Zeb took the iv's well. This only will make the journey more hard if she suffers with every iv.

25. Peg and Toby

Peg and Toby Well-Known Member

Sending Prayers and vines for you and Mocha.:bighug::bighug::bighug:

26. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Kari. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

27. Bobbie And Bubba

Ah Kari, maybe she was just really scared and it will get better. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

28. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Do you mind me asking what is her B.U.N.?

29. Mocha aka Cold Play

I don't have the test results, they just got them late this aft and I had to whisk her back in. I was overwhelmed. Will get it tomorrow when my head is straighter (maybe).

30. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

31. ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer

ELLIOTT & Fran Munschauer Member

Be well and Good luck Tuxie and Mom!!!!

32. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Kari}}}

Hang in there. We have many kitties here with kidney issues, and with the correct care they can have good QOL for quite some time. I know you had a bad experience with this before, but remind yourself that ECID. We're all thinking of you and Mocha and sending extra strong vines and prayers and :bighug:s.

33. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

34. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I know this is impossibly hard. One step at a time. If you're not already familiar with it, Tanya's site if the FDMB for kidney issues. There are lots of people here who will lend you a hand and who have experience with managing FD and CRF. Try to get the lab values from your vet.

35. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of vines to Mocha tonight. Try to be positive, Kari. We are thinking good thoughts.

Ella & Rusty

36. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Kari)))

I've had four CKD cats and so am pretty familiar with the disease, what the labs mean, and treatments. If you can post the labs tomorrow, I can look at them and we can tell how bad it actually is.

Sometimes a few days of IV fluids at the vet really gives you a better starting point for daily subq fluids at home if the vet approves them. So take a deep breath, love on her tonight, and let's see what those numbers are tomorrow.

Many prayers and vines for you both.

37. sarahtee

sarahtee Member

Thinking of you, Kari :bighug:

38. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm sending yet more hugs and vines. :bighug: Neko's had kidney disease a little over a year, and so far I am just treating with benazapril, low phosphorus foods, and Azodyl (probiotics). ECID on kidney disease too. There is a wide spectrum.

39. Mocha aka Cold Play

how progressed by the disease when diagnosed? did you have any iv's?

40. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

41. marniepaul & miles

marniepaul & miles Member

I'm so sorry you have to go through the kidney disease again. :(
    Every cat's journey is different, though; maybe you will get some good news soon. I sure hope so. :bighug:

42. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Hugs to you and Mocha.
    We've had 3 kidney cats now. Our Taz lived with it for over 3 years. She made it to the top of stage 4 with a creatinine of 4.9 and BUN in the 80s. She felt like CRAP. We ended up syringe feeding her for a bit to get her through the worst. She came out of it and with some meds and subQ fluids daily she live another 3 years of good life. Its a very hard disease to get through the rough spots. Many prayers for you.

43. Nancy and Scotty

Nancy and Scotty Member

I am so sorry, will be praying for both you and Mocha.

44. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

She was at stage 2. First signs of issues for her was proteinuria - which is not uncommon with acrocats. That's why she's taking benazapril. So far she's only had IV's once (when feeling crumby/not eating - not sure if it was pancreatitis or hypothyroid).

45. Amy&TrixieCat

FWIW, with Trix, she never had any IV fluids at the vet; she's only ever had SubQ fluids at home (except the one time we went to the vet when they showed us how to do it). Doing fluids at home takes a little practice, but it really does help them when they reach the stage where they need them, and of course they do much better with being treated at home. I think they quickly learn that what we are doing helps them and makes them feel better, even though they are scared at first.

But, as Marje mentioned, sometimes a little bit of actual IV (as opposed to SubQ) fluids at the vet at first can really help get the "feel better" ball rolling.

46. Suzi_S

Suzi_S Well-Known Member

So sorry Hugs and vines to you and Mocha

47. suki & crystal (GA)

suki & crystal (GA) Well-Known Member

So sorry Kari, hugs and prayers to you and sweet Mocha.:bighug::bighug::bighug: praying she pulls through for you.

48. Gill & George

So sorry Kari, sending hugs for you and vines for Mocha:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

49. Mocha aka Cold Play

Maybe I am using the wrong word, pretty sure. He put a fluid bag on a rack and gave her a shot to the hind quarter to inject it. It is probably just subq. That was the word used before. An iv means what in comparison?

I am hoping the fluids today will allow her to go back to the wet on her own. She was not even opening for wet syringe yesterday. She has never refused wet, even when she had an ongoing gum infection and had trouble chewing before diabetes.

She had 2 healthy stools since the fluids. I think this is a good sign?

My male was diagnosed before when he could no longer have a stool all the sudden and despite the fluids, he never did. But, is that alone a good sign? I don't know anymore.

She hates needles @ this point. She does not even like her hair to be gentle rolled for injections. I will ask him to show me how to do it myself but I don't think I am there emotionally to manage. How are you keeping them still long enough to get a whole bag of fluid thru?

Are you supposed to rotate sites? On my passed away male he only rotated hip to hip and he had no weight to look elsewhere. Mocha is 7.5 but not really fleshy. Where are you giving the fluids? I thought I remember hearing @ home people used the neck? Can't imagine that for her.

50. Gill & George

IV means intra venous, I don't think the IV would be done in the hind quarter more likely along the front paw, or other prominent vein (that's where my pups had it post sterilisation ops).

Subq is sub cutaneous, under the skin like how we give the insulin shots, sounds like that's more likely what mocha was given.

Yay on the poop, I hope it's a good sign too.:bighug::bighug:

51. Bobbie And Bubba

Continuing good thoughts and healing vines to Mocha. There are lots of peeps here that can offer advise to you. :bighug:

52. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

The bags of fluids are usually 1000ml each, and you may be instructed to give her 50 or 100ml (or sometimes more) per day or every other day, or as needed, per her vet's advice. I used to give J.D. 100ml every other day, and found the process to be pretty easy to learn. It only took about 5 minutes of getting him to hold still, while the fluids went in. He was pretty good about it. I also gave him Azodyl, which seemed to help his kidney values.

I wish you the Best Of Luck with controlling or slowing the kidney disease. Lots of cats on this board are being treated for it. I also highly recommend reading the Tanya's CRF site. There is so much information there.

53. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

So sorry for the diagnosis. One thing different from last time is that you are not alone! You have your new extended family, full of caring, knowledgable people, here to help you along. Sending prayers and lots of :bighug:.

54. Amy&TrixieCat

As Gill said, "IV" is directly into the vein - this is something that would only be done at a vet's office; it's not something a caregiver could do at home. We can, however, do the SubQ (under the skin) fluids at home - and that saves kitties' a lot of stress (and beans' a lot of stress AND money).

Like everything else, ECID when it comes to fluids. Trix is fairly easygoing about it, but I do have to gently hold her down until we're done (I scratch her cheek with my left hand while I hold her back and the needle with my right), otherwise she'll take off. Of course she was a bit iffy about it at first, but once she got used to the process, she was fine about it. She knows fluids make her feel better!

I've never heard of anyone giving fluids at the hip, but my experience is limited to Trixie. I had always heard that you should give them "anywhere a saddle would lay". We do the fluids over Trix's right shoulder. I have say I can't imagine doing them over her hip - the skin is so tight there that I think it would be painful, and that may be another reason why Mocha was shaking so much (along with the fact that I'm sure she was scared because she didn't know what was going on). You're not looking for a fleshy area - you want the fluids to go under the skin. And yes, you do need to move the location around a bit because scar tissue does build up.

As Dyana mentioned, you just give small portion of a bag at a time.

Yup....healthy poop is always a good sign!!!

We are here to help you as much as you need....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.