Moderate Ketones Help!

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hine87, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenzyandtheFurkids

JenzyandtheFurkids Member

I would increase him to 1.5 at night and leave him at 1.5 in the morning.

2. Hine87

Hine87 Member

Updated Jasper's SS-I didn't mark it on the sheet but I believe it was yesterday I did a fur shot. I know nothing got into him so I felt comfortable giving him some more insulin-but to be a little safe just in case I gave him 1 unit instead the 1.5. Going to the new vet here soon and will ask about trying a different insulin out. Jasper has been high the last few days and I really don't know why.

3. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether you believe no insulin got into him, we recommend you never give a 2nd shot of the long acting insulin, because if you are mistaken, the cat might go into hypoglycemia (too low glucose) which can be fatal.
    An option for a cat that has experienced ketones or DKA is to check around the nadir period, then if the glucose is very high, with very careful coaching from folks who have done it and if you are home to monitor, you might use a shorter acting insulin (NPH) to cover the next 6 hours or so until the regular shot time. NPH hits harder and faster than ProZinc so initially you start with teeny, tiny doses until you learn what works for your cat.
    "Better too high for a day than too low for a moment."

Last edited: May 9, 2016
    JenzyandtheFurkids likes this.
  4. Hine87

Hine87 Member

Yea I won't be doing it again, I have just been a little paranoid since his numbers have been running high for a couple days and worried about ketones. =/

5. JenzyandtheFurkids

You may well not be giving enough insulin yet. Our boy is on 2.5U Lantus twice daily. His sugars didn't even start to go down until I got him up over 2U. Typically you would want to check preshot and nadir every day. If numbers are high for 3 days, you increase insulin by 0.25U and continue checking. We had to do lots of testing for our cat for 3 weeks then got him in good control. It did require I set the alarm to do a middle of the night nadir check for awhile but that was just temporary.

6. JenzyandtheFurkids

Can you update your spreadsheet?

7. Hine87

Hine87 Member

Updated! So far so good with the vet for the most part. I took Jasper in on Monday and he had me call him Friday to go over his numbers. He also wants me to call next week to see how the dosing is going. He also spent time before, during, and after the appt to go through the spreadsheet to figure out proper dosing for him. He did although want me to jump up to 2 units but of course I didn't want to do that so I just went up to 1.75. He did tell me to go up a little if it's over 300 and bump down a little if it's under 200 which I believe you had already mentioned. He did ask why I was feeding him the food I was and not the prescription, I told him, and he didn't force their food on me-thankfully. I have moved his food a little bit around where I will put out one full cat in the AM and let him eat until he is full and pull the food away until lunch, let him eat until he is full and after that he waits until dinner. Then he will get about half or so can for dinner.

JenzyandtheFurkids likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.