Moisture in Syringe?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by nslade001, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Hi, so I use BD syringes Ultra Fine 3/10, 5/16,31G.

The other morning went to draw up insulin, so I took the clear cap off, drew the plunger back and forth a bit, pushed it all the way forward with pressure before putting the needle in my Lantus cartridge, and... a drop of liquid squeezed from the needle! Got a fresh syringe, and it was fine. Didn't know what to think.

Same box, different pack of syringes, same thing happened this morning. Bead/drop of liquid squeezed from needle when I applied pressure to the plunger.

Is this the lubricant? Is this normal? This morning with the (new) fresh syringe I made a point of drawing the plunger back and forth all the way to the 0.3 mL marking to ensure it was all spread, in case that's an issue. Please let me know if this is normal, otherwise I'll be buying a new box.

With love, Nikki

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

My guess is lubricant. I've never had it happen to me though.

nslade001 likes this.
  3. Sylvie

Sylvie Member

if individually wrapped (most are) than it is just lubricant, sometimes some syringes have too much of it in it even when others in same box may not. i have used different brands and only about 3 or 4 times have i had a syringe with too much lubricant in it form what i can recall. i always do what you said, move plunger all the way up and down to distribute it throughout syringes. that lubricant is a big reason why i didn't listen to vet in beginning when i was told to put air into insulin vial before drawing insulin. btw if you don't already, after you move plunger up and down, check marker line where plunger stops, sometimes it stops after zero line and i even had some stop close to .5 line, this has been the case with every brand i have used and if you don't check everytime, you may end up giving too much or too little insulin!

nslade001 likes this.
  4. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I've had it happen maybe 2-3 times in 3 years. My guess was lubricant as well.

nslade001 likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

It's not the end of the world but it shouldn't happen. If you can switch to Monoject syringes, you won't be sorry. Ask anyone who uses them.
    Quality control is not what it used to be, ask someone with Takata airbags. If you choose to complain do not say anything about cats, third class citizens move to the back of the bus.

nslade001 likes this.
  6. nslade001

nslade001 Well-Known Member

Thank you all! With llove, Nikki

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.