Molly...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Cate123, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cate123

Cate123 New Member

Just diagnosed, 16 years old. We also have a dog in the home and are frequently away, so shots are sort of out of the realm. I think I’m suffering because I think the right thing to do is to put her down. She lives now by her choice, in the basement...and has taken to closeting herself in her crate down there where I store it. I have 2 litter boxes going because of the excessive peeing...any advice?

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome. It is possible to manage diabetes treatment. There are people with many different sets of circumstances who are able to make it work. So, if you are willing to try, please post any specific challenges you see with the shots so that people can chime in and offer advice. Is your cat already on a low-carb, high-protein wet food diet? Sometimes that can help bring the numbers down.

If you get the glucose under control, the excessive peeing will stop.. and she may decide to come out of her crate and maybe even out of the basement since she will begin to feel so much better.

3. Tanya and Ducia

Tanya and Ducia Well-Known Member

Please forgive me for saying this, but I believe it is the last thing to do - the diabetes is rather a condition, not an illness as such, and it can be managed/ manipulated at home with care and planning.
    Do you have any specific question, something we can help you with by sharing our practical experiences?
    Please, ask, nothing is too small where the little fur-babies are concerned.

jayla-n-Drevon likes this.
  4. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

I agree with @FurBabiesMama -- the hiding may be that she does not feel well. FD can be managed without tons of testing it just depends on your goal. It sounds like you are not aiming for remission with a busy schedule which I can understand. When my boy was dx I hoped for remission but now I just keep him in decent numbers and always test before I shoot because it can be very dangerous to shoot "blind"
    The peeing will definitely get better when the glucose is controlled.
    16 is not that old for a cat, my boys are 19 and 20. Many experts are on this forum that can help you.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Diabetes is very treatable. Millions of people walk around every day with dealing with it :)

I would probably start with a high protein, low carb diet. Wet is preferred but if you are in the US there are 2-3 options on dry food as well.

I take it that you travel for work. That can make it tougher but there has been some CG here that have worked around that.

I am sure once she is feeling better the peeing and hiding will stop.

6. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

Dr Elsey dry food is acceptable
    chicken under 5% carb
    salmon under 10% carb

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

It's not a death sentence.... Once the numbers are in control they feel good again and the excessive pee stops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.