Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherry Duckett

Sherry Duckett New Member

My mom's 13 yr old Siamese cat has diabetes newly diagnosed. Mom is 80 yrs old and will never keep up with this cat. I Now have her cat at my home. Not sure to go with treatments. How to pay for all of this is a big problem?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Sherry, welcome. We can help you figure out a treatment plan for your moms cat (what's his/her name?) An important part of treatment is a low carb canned food such as Friskies Pate or Fancy Feast Classic- much cheaper than the vet prescribed stuff. Have you started insulin yet? If so, don't change food just yet, and let us know what kind and how much you're giving. Does kitty have any other health problems? Also learning to test your cats glucose yourself will save on vet bills and we can teach you how to do this. Please come to the Main Health Forum and tell us more and ask any specific questions you have.

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Sherry, you're in a good place now. This is where you'll learn everything you never knew and find out how to do the things you never thought you could do. It doesn't have to be expensive, unfortunately a lot depends on what your vet cons you into. Poking holes and taking blood from cats is what we do here, some of the members here have been doing it for years. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions because there's no such thing, we all started somewhere.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

You are in the right place. You are really kind to take on the responsibility of the cat... I'm sure it's a great comfort to your mom. Depending on the kind of insulin (let us know) we can help you in finding the least expensive place to buy that, as well as all the other supplies you'll need.

5. Yong

Yong Well-Known Member

Welcome Sherry and kitty :bighug:
    Glad you found this forum. We can definitely help you care for your mom's kitty. Everything can feel very overwhelming at first. Sharon asked some great starter questions that we will want to know :). If you have any more questions, please ask on the Main Health Forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.