Montey from Montgomery, Al

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by axelrod0214, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

Soooo...I've done the "unthinkable" as many of my friends, coworkers, and family say....I have knowingly adopted a diabetic cat. I'm scared...he's scared...we are both trying to adjust, not to mention my 3 other fur babies......Montey is a 3year old boy I was pulled to adopt bc he was literally standing in line to be put down just because he has diabetes...I don't think I've ever met a more calm, timid, and loving cat. the vet I got him from graciously donated a months worth of hills prescription WD Canned and dry food and was told as long as he stays on this brand he won't have to be on insulin again, but now I am reading it is one of the worst things to feed him and that a brand like fancy feast classic canned is better...less carbs...Help please I'm single, young, and broke lol with a bigger heart than my wallet! Any advice is appreciated! image.jpg

Shiloh & Rhonda (GA) likes this.
  2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

He is beautiful! And bless you for adopting and saving him.

If I were you, I'd start feeding him only the wet. It isn't awful in terms of carbs; the biggest problem we have with it is that it is so expensive with ingredients no better than the regular foods like Fancy Feast and Friskies. And then get a meter and lancets. If you get the ReliOn from Walmart, it is the cheapest as are the strips. We can teach you to test. Then you can avoid any expensive tests at the vet. Plus yours are more accurate because he won!'t be stressed at the vet.

I think knowing what his levels are would be a good thing. You can try food only for awhile, but if he is real high, you want to start insulin.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Welcome. I myself have adopted over a dozen already-diabetic cats.

4. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

I just picked up the meter from Walmart...heading home to check it soon! He has his initial vet appointment with my vet tomorrow...thankfully he has already been tested for hiv, luekemia, worms, is neutered, and declawed...also got all his diabetes records from the other vet so I'm off to a good start and not much money spent yet. I will probably end up switching him to fancy feast soon.

5. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Great! Let us know how we can help. One of the things that helped us most was to heat the ear before poking

6. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

How do you heat the ear? Warm bath cloth?

7. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Welcome to FDMB, the best place you never wanted to be.

There are 4 things you'll need to manage your kitty's diabetes:
    - You - without your commitment, the following won't work.
    - Low carb over the counter canned or raw diet, such as many Friskies pates. See Cat Info for more info. If already on insulin, you must be home testing before changing the diet.
    - A long-lasting insulin such as ProZinc, Lantus, BCP PZI, or Levemir.
    - And home blood glucose monitoring with an inexpensive human glucometer such as the WalMart Relion Confirm or Target Up and Up (the pet ones will break your budget!). See my signature link Glucometer Notes for feline-specific reference ranges.

8. Sue and Oliver (GA)

We used a rice sack - a thin sock filled with raw rice and knotted. Warm in the microwave till very warm. Hold next to the ear

9. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

image.jpg
    I just checked it...296...I'm not to worried about it I know he's stressed out...thankfully I do work in healthcare so I'm familiar with diabetes in humans lol just alil different when they can't talk to you. He didn't even flinch or cry when I pricked him...didn't even have to hold him down. Thank you so much for the advice!

10. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Not bad. We consider a cat regulated if they are in the mid 200s at pre shot and in double digits at nadir. A cat is considered in remission if they range from 40-120 off insulin

11. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vet stress has been reported as raising the glucose form 100-180 mg/dL.

12. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

I will mention it to the vet tomorrow at his first appointment.

13. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

So you believe it could just be stress? I mean he went from being cooped up in a kennel to having to endure a 1hr and a half drive to having to be introduce to 3 new fur roommates and a new home lol

14. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

I would say that stress is definitely a factor; it may not be the only factor.

15. Sydney T_FL

Sydney T_FL Member

Welcome. He is a handsome kitty. I can definitely relate to having a bigger heart than wallet. Lol. I have my own 2 girls, adopted both from the vet at 8 weeks old. I have about 4-5 strays I feed and tend to. Getting them spayed and neutered soon. She had a litter of 3. Definitely keeps me busy.

axelrod0214 likes this.
  16. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

Awwww sounds like you got your hands full forreal!

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Awww bless you for taking that sweet boy in! I'm just up the road from you in Alabaster. :) Sounds like you're doing a great job already...so grateful you were there to save his life!

axelrod0214 likes this.
  18. axelrod0214

axelrod0214 New Member

Hey neighbor! Lol thankyou for saying that, means a lot...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.