Monty / AMPS 173 / +5 202 confused

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tom & Monty, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Hi there, I'm confused about Monty's BG being higher at +5 that his AMPS, what could be the possible causes?

My immediate thought is perhaps I unknowingly got a furshot this morning, his dose is 0.5U and it's difficult to "feel" that an amount that small went in. I usually rely on smell to check for a furshot as Lantus has quite a strong "clinical" smell but this morning I thought the injection was ok.

2. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Other things I can think of:

1. My Lantus is dead (but it's only a month old and kept in the fridge
    2. He went very low and bounced, but I've been with him all monring and he's been super energetic and annoying his sister, not at all showing hypo signs

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Tom, without seeing more tests during the cycles it’s impossible to say why he’s higher at +5 than AMPS. It’s probably not a fur shot. It could easily be a bounce ......as you are not doing any testing during the pm cycle, half the data is missing. It is very possible he is dropping lower at night as many cats do.
    Can you get a before bed test in each night?

If the insulin is only a month old and kept in the fridge I’m sure it’s fine. Does it have any floaters in it? Is it clear?’ And it is taking him down to blues so I’m sure it’s fine.

Tom & Monty likes this.
  4. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

In the short term I can't get a before bed test every night, but I'll get one tonight.

Once I'm solo testing better (practising once a day solo) I'll get more PM tests in.

If it was a bounce I wouldn't have expected him to be so energetic this morning, can they bounce low but not show clinical signs of hypo?

5. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

I'll get a +3 or +4 tonight

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  6. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

The insulin looks fine to me, look ok to you?

Attached Files:

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes it looks ok

I know you are trying hard to test on you own.
    Cats can bounce because they drop too low, drop too fast or drop lower than they are used to. So yes he could be bouncing and still be energetic. He could be bouncing because he is dropping too fast or he could be bouncing when he drops into low blues or high greens because he isn’t used to those numbers any more. He needs to get used to being in normal numbers again. Unless you are testing you won’t know why he is bouncing.

Tom & Monty likes this.
  8. Tom & Monty

Tom & Monty Member

Ok in that case tonight I'll get a +3 and tomorrow a +4 to see if he's falling fast.

Thanks!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Max hit the 30’s more than once but didn’t show any signs of a hypo. Most of the time he dropped under 50 he was super hungry but not always.

Tom & Monty and Marj & Djoko like this.