? Monty

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kim Chesler, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Chesler

Kim Chesler New Member

Hi
    I am struggling with my 12 year old kitty. He was diagnosed in November and still having issues . I can't seem to manage the glucometer on my own .. I feel terrible trying to poke him and he is miserable .
    He is on 3.5 units of Lantus twice a day .. his fur is not shiny anymore , he seems depressed and I am feeling so sad ... please help

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! We’ll be glad to help. Come to the Main Health forum and tell us specifically what you are having trouble with. Include what glucometer you’re using and what you’re feeding. We have lots of tips and tricks to help you get your kitty on the road to recovery! I’ll look for you over there.

3. Kim Chesler

Kim Chesler New Member

Hi
    I have two meters and I am using a .25mm gauge needle from my vet ...
    Monty just seems so sad , listless ,his used to have a magnificent coat, orange tabby, and now his fur is dull
    The vet switched me to dry cat food from a different brand .. using w/d management dry food, prescription
    I add a bit of tuna to try get him to eat .. help please

4. Kim Chesler

Kim Chesler New Member

Also his skin is very dry .. I have heard that coconut oil helps .. anything to help ... I can't manage to prick his ear .. he wiggles and squirms and it is devastating to see him so unhappy

5. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Monty looks very relaxed.

There is a main health subforum (here). I encourage you to search there since many diabetes issues are pretty common and already discussed. Food is a common topic. The good thing about diabetes is that it is well understood and once you get the hang of it, you can really help Monty get better. My Leo is 2.5 years on insulin and doing pretty well.

6. Kim Chesler

Kim Chesler New Member

Hi wonderful people
    I bought Friskies last night and before I went to bed I gave my baby a teaspoon of pate ... hallelujah !! He loves it and he didn't cry the whole night !! I woke up before him and he already seems in better spirits .. is that possible? His gait was so much better..
    this morning I gave him a 11/2 teaspoons of wet with his dry and he ate all his food ...
    I have not been able to get a blood sample yet .. worst comes to worst I will take him fir a glucosamine ($$$$$$) at his vet .
    I will lower his insulin to 3 today instead of 3.5.

Question
    I noticed and read that most people seem to feed and then wait two hours for insulin .. what is the correct protocol .. vet told me every 12 hours,as he eats
    I can get up earlier to feed him so that I have a two hour window before I leave for school ... thoughts please...

Grateful mamma

7. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Actually, what we recommend is taking all food away for 2 hours before the pre shot BG test. That's so you know what the BG is without any food influence and can judge whether the planned dose is safe - ie. not too high for the BG level. Sometime we recommend another BG test two hours after feeding/injecting if we think there's a chance the BG might drop low. Most of us feed several small meals a day, not just twice a day.

Please post on the main health forum where more people will see it. This is the welcome forum and more advice can be given in more detail on the main health forum. :)

8. Kim Chesler

Kim Chesler New Member

Thank you
    Sorry new to this and I seem to be in both forum pages .. apologies ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.