More questions regarding BG & Food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harley's Mom, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

Here is a picture of Harley[​IMG]

When this saga started Harley went to the vet for pain but came out diagnosed with arthritis and diabetes. At that time he was eating Wysong Uretic -Dry.
    His numbers follow:

Vet's office 2 1/2 weeks ago - 443 - Had been on DRY Wysong Uretic

Vets office 1/23/10 341 - Had been on wellness core for 10 days - DRY

Home 1/26/10 6:15 pm Before Meal - 287 Had been on wet canned food for 24 hours

Home 1/27/10 6:15 am Before Meal - 204 eating wet canned food for 48 hours

Harley is not on insulin yet.

What do you guys think?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

BG is going down with the canned food which is good. If you are not giving insulin maybe diet control will work. f giving insulin then maybe can stop in future.

3. Karen & Angus(GA)

Karen & Angus(GA) Member

I think you can continue monitoring for a few more days as long as his BG continues to drop. It will level out eventually and that number will tell you if he needs insulin or not. If you want to try insulin, monitor carefully.
    We often tell the newly diagnosed not to shoot under 200 and you are very close to that.

4. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

You need more tests before you can plot a course of action. Take a few midday tests as well as premeal. The 200s are still diabetic, but Harley's response to the food change has been dramatic. If those numbers continue to go down you may get away without having to give any insulin, but if they stay in the same range insulin may be all that's needed to put Harley into remission.

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

WOOHOOOOO! Looks like you may also be one of the lucky ones like my Sweety!!! Diet controlled without having to start any insulin! YAY! Yup - it can work! Keep hometesting and you'll know.

And what a BEAUTY he is!

6. Harley's Mom

Harley's Mom Member

I am really hoping that we will be able to regulate him without insulin. I plan to keep testing for a while to make sure though. I hope he eventually gets use to the BG test and it would be heavenly if I could figure a way to do it alone but I can't think of anyway yet to make that work.
    Thanks for the compliment, We think he is beautiful too. In my avatar that is Harley with a 1lb Chihuahua!

7. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

Whoa, he's really big guy!

I got Sweety used to hometesting by: First, playing with her ears all the time, not just when I was going to test. She loves it, and doesn't even notice when I test. Second: catnip. She is oblivious to everything when the smell of catnip is in the air. I grow it for her on the windowsill. She only gets a leaf or two, and she's so good that she really only wants it when I offer to play.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.