Morning BG is 188? Give regular dose?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sudio3, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Hello,
    Nudi's BG was 188 this morning which is really low for him? He usually is in the high 300's in the morning. I'm glad that its low but I wasn't sure if I should give him the regular dose he has been getting of 2 units? Or decrease it a little?

Thank you!

2. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Are you home today so you can get in an extra test or two?

3. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Yes I will be home to give a few extra tests

4. Djamila

So it's really up to you and how comfortable you feel with doing the extra tests, and possibly steering with some food if he starts to drop too low. Based on the mid-cycle data you have, I would be inclined to try the full dose and keep an eye on things. However, if you would feel more comfortable decreasing the dose a little to 1.5 or 1.75, that's fine too. Either way you'll want to get a couple of tests in to see the impact.

From your curve the other day it looks like Nudi had an early-ish nadir, so you would want to start testing around +2 or +3 and then decide from there how much more you'll need to check.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you. I had to run out before I got your second message and I just decided to give 1.5. I’ll check a few times today to see how he does. Good to know about his nadir being early! Thank you so much.

Djamila likes this.
  6. Djamila

Keep in mind that the nadir can and does move around. So that's just based on the recent curve.

Sudio3 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  7. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thanks. I just got back and checked his sugar at +2 after his morning shot, he's at 198 which is higher then this morning? I probably should have just given him his full 2 units. I was wondering if I could give him the .5 now since it's only 2 hours later or just leave it alone? Thank you!

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

A BG of 188 and one of 198 are essentially the same allowing for meter variance. You did what you thought was right and followed Djamila's dosing advice. Don't give another 0.5 u now. Let this dose run its course. You're doing fine! :)

Sudio3 likes this.
  9. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

Ok thank you. I appreciate all the help.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  10. Djamila

The first time you get an unusually low PS, it's fine to reduce and see what happens. Some cats do dive on those numbers, so testing it out when you're home to keep him safe is an important step. So next time, you can give a little more. It's good to get a few rounds of this when you can monitor so that on the inevitable day when he's low and you need to leave, you'll have a better idea what to do.

Sudio3 and Kris & Teasel like this.
  11. Sudio3

Sudio3 Member

ok makes sense. thank you.