Morris's Mommy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by hsb52070, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hsb52070

hsb52070 New Member

Hi. This is Morris's Mommy. Morris is a nine year old indoor shorthair domestic gray tabby. He has been healthy his whole life until recently and was just diagnosed with diabetes today. He's a grazer. His brother from another mother is 2 years old. Also indoor. A grazer. And only has 1 functioning kidney due to a birth defect. His name is Mordred. Concerned about their diets because according to the vet, their diets should be close to opposite. Also, Morris's rx is 3 units BID after meals. I don't wanna OD him. And AS I mentioned, he's a grazer. Not sure how to train him and Mordred to be otherwise. Glad to find this forum! Thanks!

2. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Welcome! :):)

Sorry that you found yourself here but here is the best place to be.

The main health forums are great for general questions so feel free to pop over and ask away. You will find more replies there than here to your questions.
    My kitty is a grazer too, so all I did was lift her food 2 hours before testing her bg prior to shooting insulin. That can depend on which insulin you use though as some need a good meal in before shooting as they can hit hard. (The insulin that is). But I always found Tempest ate well after a 2 hour fast lol

Anyway, hope to see you on the main health forums! :smuggrin:

3. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Welcome Morris, Mordred, and their Mum!
    Here's a link to get to the Main Health forum :).

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Welcome! What is working for me right now is giving wet food for the shot time meal AM and PM but having Young Again Zero Mature dry available for them to graze on throughout the day/night (taking it up two hours before test/meal/shot time). I have seen where several people on here give only wet food (which is better but is just not happening for us right now) but leave it out for grazing. If you post your questions/concerns on the main forum, I am sure you will get plenty of responses. There are a lot of nice, helpful people here. :)

5. srk4cats

srk4cats Well-Known Member

Welcome. I've tried several different things. The one that seems to work the best is to put young Chico outside or in the garage while I feed Chloe, my diabetic cat. Or I will put her (Chloe's) food bowl in the bedroom and close the door to keep the other cats out. She doesn't like being isolated, though. I give her wet food in the morning. Every so often, she expects me to scrape the food from the edges into the center. I use a spoon for that. Once she sees me do that, she'll go back and eat some more. I add some water, too. Whatever is left I put in the fridge. I used to keep dry food out for Chico, but I've caught Chloe eating it. So now I put the kibble in Fuzma's room. Chico goes in there but Chloe doesn't. I give Chloe the leftover wet food from the morning for dinner. Sometimes I leave some YA out for Chloe, but probably Chico gets at it. Chico eats everything, including whatever is left on my plate after I eat. I haven't been feeling him much lately because he's such a scavenger. He can go into Fuzma's room and eat kibble if he wants to, although Fuzma growls at him. It took me about 6 months to work this all out. Chloe comes first because she's the loudest.

TempestsMum likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.