Motska's Stinky Behind

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Kris & Motska (GA), Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

How would I know if my cat's anal glands need to be done? The past week or so, when I'm poking her for her diabetes stuff and have her sitting right in front of me, I notice that her rear-end smells bad. It's not a very strong smell (I can't smell it unless I'm right next to her), but it ain't pretty!!! I keep trying to get a decent look at her behind, but when I try to hold her tail up so that I can get a look, she gets very angry, tries to keep it down, and runs away (she's always been that way when I try to mess with her tail).

She's due to go to the vet next week to be kenneled while I'm out of town, but I'd like to know if I need to get her in there sooner.... Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Kris

2. Kris & Motska (GA)

Kris & Motska (GA) Member

I should add that I did get a peek at her and there are no "dingleberries" stuck to her fur.... So although I can't really get a good look at her, there's nothing that's obvious to me going on back there.

3. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

"dingleberries" :lol: that gave me a good laugh! When the anal glands are full they can give off a foul odor. Also, if they have been expressed lately (by her or by accident) it can leave behind a residual odor that kinda lingers. It might be something you have the vet do while they are boarding her.

4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

A lot of times symptoms of anal gland problems is the animal persistently licking the area and/or scooting their butt on carpet.

5. Jayne & Sweety

Jayne & Sweety Member

yes, "dingleberries" made me laugh too!
    Sweety used to have that problem, I thought something might be wrong but it turned out to be that she was just so fat that she couldn't reach her butt to clean it! Her belly was in the way! After she lost some weight, due to the food change, all was/is fine.
    Hope it's something simple for you too.
    Yeah, why not ask while she's boarded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.