Mouth sore leads to diabetes diagnoses

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by PercyCat, Oct 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PercyCat

PercyCat New Member

Hello!

It's been an emotional week for me. I took my cat Percy to the vet last week because his lip was swollen. He was also drinking a lot of water.

When we were there the vet said she had to run some tests, but the symptoms Percy was showing was likely kidney failure. She also said due to the swelling on his lip she couldn't tell what it was. She said it could be that he bit his lip and it got infected, or it could be a mouth tumour. Luckily(?) I found out yesterday it was diabetes. I took him in to see the vet again today so she could go over the treatment plan. She took a look at his mouth and said she can't be 100% sure, but it's now looking like an infection from biting his lip, and the diabetes meant his body couldn't fight off the infection.

I've just been crying all day. Partly due to relief because he doesn't have kidney failure or a mouth tumour. Partly because I'm sad he has diabetes and I'm blaming myself.

Is this emotional roller coaster normal? And when does it even out?

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Welcome! So sorry for the diagnosis. I remember the day my kitty was diagnosed. It was scary and overwhelming, but once I found FDMB things began to improve. So many here can help you learn the best way to care for sweet Percy and get him on the road to regulation. Please come to the Main Health Forum and tell us more about Percy. Let us know what you’re feeding, what insulin you’re using and if you’re home testing his glucose, highly recommended as really the only way to keep him safe and know how well the insulin is working. Hope to see you there!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.