Moving abroad with a diabetic kitty [Mission accomplished!]

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jenna & Kitsu (GA), Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Jenna & Kitsu (GA) Member

Hey all!

Life is moving quickly as I prepare for my great hop across the pond soon. I'm making this thread to collect ideas, advice, suggestions, and all sorts of things from others who have done this type of thing before. I also just want a place to share my timelines and what my vet and I are doing to plan for this, just to hear second opinions from those who wish to share them.

Origin country: USA
    Destination country: Ireland (Republic, not UK)
    Approximate flight date: Early August 2018
    Flight details: No direct flight from where I live. Would need to drive 7 hours to nearest airport that has direct flight, so having a layover is no fun, but necessary. Kitsu will be in the cabin with me, not in the cargo hold.

Right now, I'm planning the best way to bring her with me. I called my vet today to ask about getting a dental before I go, because Kitsu's breath has been pretty bad since she transitioned into my care (she was with my dad until December 2017). I've had 3 different vets mention tartar in the last 7 months, so I figure she needs it. It will be difficult to get her dental done once I move over (I'll be far away from a vet who can do that), so I feel like I better do it now while I have the chance.

We scheduled the dental for June 28th. I am to dose and feed her normally the night before, but pull her food dish up at 9:30 or 10:00pm and not allow her to eat at all through the night or the next morning. The next morning, I was advised to give her a half-dose of insulin with no food. This scares me a bit because she's on Vetsulin, which can hit pretty hard without food, but it should be okay because her dose would literally only be a 0.25 unit or so. I take her into the vet that morning (June 28th) at 7:30 - 8:00am and leave them to do the pre-surgery blood work to make sure she is safe to be given anesthetic. I pick her back up after work around 5:30pm and take her home.

The vet is currently checking with the Irish regulations on bringing a pet over, so she will give me more updates on what we need to do later, but I do believe I need to get her health certificate within 10 days of my flight. This will be confirmed later. Regardless, I plan to have a T4 panel done on her, whether it's at her dental appointment, or during her health certificate exam. She has never had one done before and I just want to see what it looks like.

Next up is her nerves - Kitsu pretty much turns into a solid brick of fear and anxiety when we leave the house. She does NOT travel well, and I hate to bring her on such a long journey, but no one else I know is willing to take care of a diabetic cat and I'm not just going to put her down because I decided to move away (she's perfectly healthy aside from the diabetes, no reason to put her down). She's coming with me, so I will do my best to make her the most comfortable I can. I spoke to the vet about her nerves and the vet told me that she could prescribe basically "kitty Zoloft" (she gave me the name of the drug, but I forgot to write it down and don't remember what it was). I've read online that a cat should only be sedated for travel if absolutely necessary - why is this? Are there any lasting effects I need to worry about that my vet isn't telling me? My main thing is I WANT to sedate her because I know as soon as she goes into her carrier, she will freeze up and start breathing rapidly. Doing this for 18-20 hours (flight time + layover + a lot of driving between airports) is not good on her, so I would rather give her something for it, but I keep seeing people advising against this, but not stating why.

My game plan is to get her dental done, let her recover for a couple/few weeks, then take her back in for her health exam to get her certificate so she can fly. On flight day, I will line her carrier with puppy pads and replace them if she soils them. I will bring all of her medical supplies, food, and water. I do not imagine she will want to eat or drink on the plane or in the connecting/destination airports, so should I be providing her food/water through a syringe, or just leave her be? I doubt I will be giving her much insulin, if any at all, because I won't really get a chance to do a blood test on her. I will attempt to in the connecting airport bathroom, but it just may not happen.

I just want to make this nightmare-ish travel experience the best it possibly can be for her. I know it's never going to be ideal or comfortable for her, but I just want to hear some extra opinions. I think I left some information out, but typing everything right now is going to produce a novel, so here's the main stuff for the time being. Thanks for reading my ramblings and for any insight you have to offer towards the dental or the long day of traveling.

EDIT: We have made it to the Emerald Isle, safe and sound! If anyone has questions or needs help with anything that was discussed in this thread, please PM me. :bighug:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Reason for edit: Updating original post with final result
  2. Lilly’s Mom

Lilly’s Mom Member

I don’t have any insights but bless you for loving her so much. I hope your travels go better than expected.

Jenna & Kitsu (GA) likes this.
  3. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I had a cat named Jordan (who looked so much like Kitsu) who would completely FREAK OUT if I had to take him anywhere. He did the rapid breathing thing to the point that I thought he would pass out. So, the vet gave me a sedative for him. I have no idea what the name of it was as that was years ago, but I had to give him one of the pills anytime he had to be taken somewhere, like to the vet's office. I hated giving it to him though. I ended up crying every time. His little inner eyelids would start to droop down over his eyes which looked so pitiful. And, I think it made him feel weird, which he did not understand, so he seemed to become a little scared. It did make it possible for me to get him in the carrier with no fight (he was a big boy, 18 lbs and not overweight), and he would be 'loopy' throughout. I had the impression that he 'fought' it the whole time. He was like a wet noodle, but I did not have the impression that he was at ease. Again, I really think it made him feel so 'off', that he was trying to re-gain control but could not. (That may not make sense, but that is the best way I can attempt to explain it.)

If I was in your situation, I would definitely want to give her something, but I would want it to be something that just chills her out a little rather than a sedative... at least one like I had to give Jordan.

4. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Thank you, Lilly’s Mom! Kitsu and I have a lot of history together, plus we both lost our dad together, so even if I had someone who would take care of her... I just couldn’t give her up. She needs to stay in this family. She’s with me for life.

FurBabiesMama, thank you for explaining that, that’s exactly what I needed to hear. I’ve never had to sedate a cat before, so I don’t know what it really does to them. From what you describe, it sounds like they go into a trance where they are easier to handle physically (picking them up, putting them in the carrier, etc.) but they are still conscious enough to try fighting off the sedative and look possibly miserable doing so. That would break my heart as well, so I can see why it was upsetting for you and Jordan.

I’ll ask my vet more about what the “kitty Zoloft” does, but I think it’s more of an anti-anxiety than a sedative, so it should be fine, but I’m always worried about side effects. I know she needs SOMETHING, I can’t just take her on this trip unmedicated, but as long as the side effects beat out the crazy stress she goes through, then it’s worth it. Hopefully it will let her get some sleep on the longer flight, since that one is anywhere from 7-9 hours depending on which airport I connect at.

5. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Some people use gabapentin before going to vet visit, maybe that is something you can ask about. Depending on the length of the layover, bringing a small portable totally enclosed pet kennel you can set up in an area or gate not being used so kitty can walk a bit, use box or puppy pad, get food and drink might be an option.

I saw one in an airport the used a pup tent in a gate that had no flights going or coming. Deliberately took night or flights that had 2+ hr layovers just to give kitty a break. Set up the tent put kitty in tent to have break from confining carrier.

6. alexthecat

alexthecat Member

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to wish you a happy, peaceful move.

7. Juliet

Juliet Guest

Southern Ireland is beautiful. Which part are you going to? I am from the highlands of Scotland and came across the pond the other way - to Canada.

8. PiePie

PiePie Member

My cats had a similar experience on Valium. I had to give them 1/4 of a pill (which I literally had to shove down their throats) and they fought the effects the whole time. It might be worth seeing if you could dissolve a pill or maybe even practice with the pill taking, since the administration can be a stress in itself. If this is the only option, I would even consider dosing your cat at home a couple times so that she knows what it feels like (as long as that won't be too hard on Kitsu).

9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

There is a thread in Think Tank about this. @Jill & Alex (GA) knows someone with experience.
    We flew a dog just this week on 2 flights of 1 hour, a 2 hour layover and then 5+ hours. Air Canada would only take him at night when cargo compartments are cooler. In this case the dog was already very calm, did not even wet her crate.
    My boys BJ and Leroy were drugged for their trip of 5 hours years ago. That was 1994 so the details are sketchy but they were already 15 years old so a cardiac exam was given and whatever drugs they were given worked because they were stoned but not clumsy for 24 hours.
    Noah is the worst traveler ever. He needs to cocooned in piddle pads and a beach towel for a 5 minute car ride so I know exactly how this must feel. I know cats feel safer in a small space but I can't say that translates into hours. If you go big I'd say a big crate with strapped down piddle pads under a few towels with more piddle pads on top of that. Water??? Bowls will get knocked over one way or the other. Maybe a block of ice in a plastic bowl under a few inches of water?
    Valium worked great for our older dog. It has a nice even delivery without getting so zonked your pet doesn't know what end is up.
    I'm just making this up as I go, I'll try and dig deeper later. Good luck in Ireland. My wife is Scottish/Irish and so was our Border Collie. No Haggis!:blackeye:
    We have some members in the UK who might be of help. :bighug:

10. Noah & me (GA)

One of these strapped/ bungee corded to the side. The bowl never fills complete up so no big splash or tipping over. Ours hold almost a gallon. This is not a fountain so nothing to plug in to.
    Have you paid for airline tickets? Nonrefundable? Some freight ships have nice accommodations and are insured for passengers. You might be bored but you'll be 24/7 with Kitsu. No pirates in the Atlantic.
    catwatercooler01.JPG

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

12. Noah & me (GA)

I just re-read your post about Kitsu not being in cargo so half of what I said is blather.
    I have a sign by the bed. First your pants, then your shoes!

Sonia & Leo likes this.
  13. Noah & me (GA)

14. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

Our two cats emigrated with us from the UK to New Zealand . Ty was not one for any sort of carrier & no good at travelling. He remained a nightmare on any sort of short car journey right up until his last time. Holly had a more laid back approach.
    The journey was and is two long haul flights. By that I mean a good 10 hours followed by 13 hours + layover. Following that they had an internal flight as well + customs etc. Prior to that they had a 2 1/2 hour car journey to the airport but the flight was preceded by a few days in a cattery/kennels to ensure all paperwork etc was in order before the flight. Also to rest the cats .
    both cats breezed it with no problems , arriving fit and healthy at the other end.

I admin for an expat migrant community & there are frequent questions about exporting and transporting pets.

This is just what I know of things . Not what I am saying is right for you or your cat.

It is not a good idea to give a cat a tranq or sedation . Most all pet carriers and exporters would state the same & these are the companies and people most practiced at this.
    No vet should issue a sedative for an animal about to undergo air transportation
    Reasons:
    There could be respiratory & cardiac reactions to the medication whilst in the pressurised environment.
    Not all pets are sedated by the medication. Some have higher anxieties as a result.
    A sedated animal loses its ability to keep its own equilibrium & sense of balance. Not so good for take offs,landings , turbulence.
    Some animals do not come round so easily from sedation which is why such matters are usually cared for by trained veterinary staff .
    Some animals may react to the medication by becoming more excitable , anxious, scared.
    A cat will fight the effects of an unwanted drug. Neither a flight cabin or a hold is the place for this to be dealt with.

Many airlines would not and should not fly a sedated animal.

It is also not considered a good idea to have a cat stowed in a carrier in a passenger cabin. The noises, smells , smaller space etc is not good for the cat. It is good for the person as they can put their eyeballs on the cat. It can be not so good for other passengers.

A hold is not a place of extreme temperatures and imminent death. Pet crates for a hold are much larger. The hold is overall a quieter place.
    Animals most usually revert to a resting state when in the dark and quiet of an animal transport hold.

During the flight there should be no food , however there should be water provided at all times. Just like us, cats can suffer dehydration .

Obviously you already know all about the pet passport requirements.

HTH

15. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Hey everyone, sorry for late responses! Getting to them now.

Thanks Paula, I'll check into this! I would love to get her out of the carrier to stretch and walk a bit, but I think she will just continue to ball up like she usually does when we go anywhere. I'll give it a shot if the airport staff will allow me to.

County Donegal, so opposite direction of Southern Ireland, haha. Are you enjoying Canada?

Good idea, I will definitely practice dosing at home before going on the trip. Thank you!

Thank you for both of your other posts offering advice and experience! I've taken all your points into consideration and will keep them in mind before and during the journey.

Thanks so much, Jill! I gave that link a read and it helps a lot. Knowing it can be done gives me hope that this will work out.

Prince, thank you for your insights on this situation. I do agree with most of what you said, but I will add on that I believe it will be in Kitsu's best interest if I fly her in the cabin instead of the hold, not just in my own interest. Yes, I risk annoying other passengers with her being there, but it's a temporary annoyance that may save her life. Where I live, it is extremely hot. I won't have the forecast for the day of my flight this early, but I can bet that it will easily be over 90 degrees, if not over 100. I read those news stories about airline companies leaving the pets on the tarmac in the hot weather and the pet ends up dying before/during the loading process. While this is a rare scenario, I still don't want to run that risk. Sure, she might get loaded up and fly out with no issues, but if she did somehow die from it, I would never be able to forgive myself. As far as the sedation goes, would the "kitty Zoloft" still be classified as sedation, or is it something different? I will check with the vet and do some home tests with her before taking her on the flight, just so I can see how she reacts to it. I know home tests won't truly reflect how the situation will be in the car, airport, or plane, but it will give me a rough idea of how she reacts to it. I just don't want to fly her without any medication, because as soon as she goes into a car or a place she's unfamiliar with, she starts hyperventilating. I'm not sure which is worse, honestly. Hyperventilation for 20-22 hours, or being under the effects of medication for a majority of that. I know neither is ideal, I just have to make the choice on which one I want to do. On the plus side, the long-haul flight (7-9 hours) is red-eye, so they will have the cabin lights turned off and most people will be asleep. Hopefully Kitsu can rest then, too. I might get lucky and only have to pill her at the beginning of the trip and not re-dose her during the middle of it.

I quoted your sentence above because I didn't understand - I don't see a requirement for a pet passport? The sites I was reading said I wouldn't need a pet passport if flying from USA to Ireland.

Also, in case anyone suggests it - I have tried to ease Kitsu into traveling before. Many times. I've been as patient as I can be, but she's stuck in her ways of fear and anxiety during traveling. I will attempt to ease her into this trip as much as I can (spending some time in the carrier without traveling/giving treats when she's in the carrier/etc.), but I feel like you can't train certain cats to react to things the way you want them to, especially a 15 year old cat who has been this way her entire life. I'll do my best, but I'm far from perfect, even though I try my best to be.

Thank you all so much for your assistance with this. :bighug:

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  16. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

17. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

If Kitsu is bonded to you, you might want to put a tshirt you've worn recently in the carrier with her. Your scent might comfort her.

I used to have a cat who was stressed with travel. I don't think he was as bad as Kitsu, but the vet tech suggested I spray Feliway in the carrier (not directly on the cat) before we headed out. I was surprised at how much it calmed him.

I'd also suggest that you carry a lightweight towel that you can throw over the carrier to block visual stimulation. Cats like small, dark, hidey-hole places and usually feel safer there. The towel will help create that safe zone. Sensory overload often freaks them out and makes them feel vulnerable. You just want to make sure there's ample airflow.

If you're even contemplating taking Kitsu out of the carrier, I strongly recommend you have her travel in a secure cat harness and leash. Even cats who "brick" under stress can turn into the Tasmanian devil and bolt.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  18. Noah & me (GA)

I wouldn't worry too much about your fellow passengers. I've flown with screaming kids and people who chew food like it's their last meal. Just be civil to them and try your hardest to make nice with the attendants. If the airline lets you on the plane with a cat then everyone will just have to deal with it. When it's quiet on the plane maybe you could sneak in some private time in the washroom.
    Since cats can't wear noise cancelling headphones I wonder if you could bring some kind of music player that would play ocean sounds or basically anything that would be better than all the clunking and clanking.

19. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Thanks for the information, JL! That is exactly what I planned to do with the towel. I have a blanket that I use to wrap her up in for her insulin shots (only when she's agitated, otherwise she will let me stick her without being blanketed). I planned to bring that blanket with me on the flight and use it to cover her carrier, so she feels more secluded away. I'll have to check into the Feliway. Maybe my vet has a free sample that I can try before I buy. And a definite yes to the harness/leash - I don't anticipate she will want to leave the carrier at any time, but just in case she does want to get out for a bit (be it on the plane if the flight attendants don't mind and I have an empty space next to me), or be it at an empty gate in the connecting airport. Definitely don't want her escaping, either!

Noah, thanks for the reassurance, and I agree. Only thing I worry about is people with cat allergies, but I'll be willing to relocate my seat on the plane if it helps. I plan to be very communicative to my fellow passengers and the flight attendants, so I can get Kitsu what she needs without having to worry about people freaking out if I do take her out of the carrier mid-flight, which I will only do if she wants/needs it, otherwise I'm content with her chilling in the carrier the whole time.

So my vet called me back today and left me a voicemail, but my phone didn't show it until after she had already left for the day, so I didn't get to talk to her directly. She won't be back in the office until next week. Here's basically what she said I need to do to get Kitsu into Ireland:

1. She must pass the EU health certificate.
    2. She must be microchipped with an EU chip.
    3. If not previously microchipped (she's not), she will also need another rabies vaccine, even though she's current. Something about how EU regulations can't accept a rabies certificate unless it was performed after the microchip was installed, so she just needs to get another one after we chip her.
    4. I will need to take her health certificate to the State Animal Health Officer to have them endorse it (~1 hour drive).
    5. She cannot have the health certificate done until at least 3 weeks after her new rabies vaccine, but also within 10 days of the flight day. This means I also need to drive to the State Animal Health Officer and have it endorsed within 10 days of the flight day.

So the game plan is to keep the June 28th dental appointment and just have them microchip and do the rabies vaccine the same day. Poor girl is going to have a lot of needles stuck in her that day... wish we didn't have to go through all of this. I will also be asking about the "kitty Zoloft" and try to get a prescription that day, so I can give her a trial run on it at home before she travels. I still haven't decided on my flight date yet. I was going to do the first week of August, but airline tickets are literally over $2,000 for that week for some reason. The week after, they're back down to normal prices of around $800, so I'll likely book then and take Kitsu in for her health certificate about 6-7 days before the flight. That will give me a little wiggle room in case my flight gets delayed to the next day and/or Kitsu needs to go back to the vet again after getting her health certificate (complications or what-have-you).

Will keep this thread updated as the news progresses.

20. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello! I just recently moved across the US from Massachusetts to California. I have two brothers who are 17 and 19 lbs (not overweight) and Pita (17lbs) is diabetic. They both traveled to the vet horribly for the years I had them prior to moving. They both got carsick every time we had an appointment and still do! I was like you in 1- knowing they would travel in cabin with my boyfriend and I. 2- originally wanted sedation because of how badly they traveled. The carrier I bought is similar to yours and I love that you're also putting a tshirtt or blanket in with her. I did that with both as well. I don't recall in any of the above posts a mention of leash or harness. She will need one! At least you should. I had to remove both from the carrier so they each had a harness and leash so if they squirmed around in our arms we could put them down without fear of losing them.
    Now, the reason I went from wanting sedation to not, was because of a lot of the reasons other people said. It freaked me out the more I read about it and realized I would be upset if anything happened while in flight. Also, my vet said that even though they didn't travel well in the car, airplanes are different. The 'hum' from the plane can actually be somewhat calming to them and once on board and under the seat, they don't move until you land! I knew theret was also no way I was putting them in cargo. No thank you. I also placed some puppy pads into each of their carriers and had extra pads, wipes, cleaner and towels in case of any accidents. Brat threw up on the way to the airport, so upon arrival, Matt and I found a family restroom and were able to clean it/him up before going to security. Now, I joked that at this point, I needed the sedatikn because I was a WRECK. I was so nervous and anxious but I had to trust that they would be okay. We arrived at security and waited until the very last second to remove them and walk through. This was an afternoon flight from Boston, so it was packed. Well, let me tell you- they were AMAZING. The entire way. I sat on the floor with them before we boarded and kept talking to them soothingly, carefully put my hand inside to pet them. They each layed in their carriers and would each occasionally meow, which would worry me until Matt reminded me they were okay! Once we boarded, they settled down and were completely quiet the whole way. I was worried they would be loud and bother people but remembered kids can be loud too!
    Anywho, they made it the entire way sedation free and Matt and I literally said earlier today how proud and impressed we were by how well they did. Yes, it's going to be a very anxiety ridden time, but she may surprise you also. If you do go with sedation, I suggest you give it a 'dry run' about a week before so you can monitor her behavior and see what happens. I almost did that as well. Sorry this is super long, just wanted to give personal experience. Feel free to ask me anything else! Yayyy new move :cat:

Djamila and PussCatPrince - GA like this.
  21. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Oh! I don't recall anyone saying this, but if you have some extra money, you may want to try Feliway! You can buy a plug in similar to Glade, but there's no smell to you- I did this for about a month before we left. It's supposed to really help calm them. I also bought the travel spray and sprayed their carriers with it every few days leading up to the flight as well. If she's not great in a carrier, I'd also suggest leaving it open and out in the open for at least a few weeks so she can get used to it's presence and maybe even hang out inside on her own. Both my boys ended up napping in them! But yes, check out Feliway! I can't say for certain because it doesn't affect humans, but I do believe it works a bit to help calm them.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  22. Noah & me (GA)

Can't sleep Caitlin?
    Feliway works great but check for a pump action as opposed to aerosol can for the plane.

23. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Caitlin, thanks for sharing your story! I love that you were detailed and gave the entire run-through. Don't apologize for a long post; I like reading them, haha. I'm so glad your kitties did alright on the plane without sedation! I think on June 28th when I go to the vet for her dental/microchip/other stuff, I'll just ask for an anxiety medication instead of a sedative. Then I can try it a couple of weeks before her flight and see how she does on it. If things go well, I might even pop her into her carrier and into the car, then drive her around and see how she does on the medication in the car as well. As for Feliway, I just remembered that my old vet gave me some Feliway wipes to try out. I used them the last 3 times I took her to the vet (rubbed them all over the inside of her carrier and towel in the carrier) and it didn't seem to show any improvement. Do you think maybe the wipe just isn't as effective, or maybe it just doesn't work for her? I hate to spend money on a different version of the product that doesn't already work unless it has a higher chance to work, if that makes sense. Especially when it's about $20 for a bottle.

24. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Hi. We flew 2 dogs and 3 cats from U.K. to Maine in 2016. As far as I know there are no airlines that will fly long haul in the cabin and I would not advise it. I was v worried about it but they all sailed or flew through it with ease. The cats were just asleep in their travel crates when we picked them up completely chilled. I used PetAir expensive but worth every penny as they picked them up the day before, vet checked them for fitness to fly and notified me when they were on the plane with us. I made sure the Pilot knew they were on board. We flew Virgin and they were brilliant. Captain sent a message to say they were safely on board and he’d look after them. As said previously no airline will fly a sedated animal. We then had a 4 1/2 hour cramped car journey and my usually v vocal cats in the car were still v chilled Please try not to worry too much they do these long journeys better that you expect. The image on the left was taken after a few days of being here. They had apparently woken up to empty feed bowls (in the days when I free fed dry)

PussCatPrince - GA likes this.
  25. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Anne, thank you for your response and letting me know how it went for you! Like you said, it's very difficult to find an airline that will fly her in-cabin for the long haul flight. I'm glad your kitties made it through with no issues.

So here's an update on what's been going on and why I've gone "cold" the last couple of days, aside from being really busy with getting things together for the move.

I called United Airlines two weeks ago and asked about flying a cat in-cabin to Ireland. They assured me she could go with no issues. Last Thursday, I called to ensure this was still the case, as I've been burned many times on a company's policies because someone told me the wrong thing, so I didn't want to chance it with Kitsu. They said it was fine again. I even called the accessibility desk to ask about bringing insulin and syringes on board, and they said as long as she has a prescription from the vet, it will all be good. They wanted to charge me an additional fee of $25 to book my flight on the phone, so I went to book the flight online and when I chose the pet option, it said it had to narrow my results to flights that would accept her on board. I expected this to happen, so I picked from the flights that came up. When I went to the confirmation of the booking screen, it had my second flight (Newark to Dublin) highlighted in red. I looked and saw a message at the top of the screen that said she would not be permitted to fly in-cabin on that flight. I called United back and asked about it. 3 reps later and no one understood why. I had to keep calling back to get a different rep. After several calls/reps later, I finally got a rep who could help me. She basically said that per airline policy, they cannot fly pets into Dublin airport in-cabin, they must be checked as cargo. This was really upsetting after being told twice by other reps that everything would be fine.

The next airline I looked at was Air Canada. Their booking system is a little strange in regards to bringing a pet. You book a flight, then you call their customer service desk and book the pet to go on the same flight with you. There's no way to book the pet with you while you do the original booking. And unless you pay their premium flight prices, you also don't get a free 24-hour cancellation window, so if you book your flight, call them to book your pet on the same flight, and they tell you the pet cannot go on the flight, then you're out for whatever money you just paid for the tickets. I thought that was pretty horrible. So I called their customer service and asked all kinds of questions about bringing my cat on board and bringing her to Ireland in-cabin. The rep told me there would be no issues. But it just seemed too easy - this is what United did to me, then I come to find out it's against their airline's policy to do it the way I want it done. What if Air Canada was the same? My fear was that they would let me book the flight, let me put Kitsu on the plane, but when I connected over into Toronto airport, they would refuse her boarding on the second flight unless she was checked as cargo. It's already stressful enough to layover in another country's airport and clear customs/immigration with a cat, let alone be told the cat now needs to go in the cargo hold in a soft carrier instead of a hard carrier, so I was fearful of this option, too. I ended up sleeping on it and set out to do more research last Friday.

Last Friday, I did a lot of reading. Some things were conflicting one another, so I still don't know the 100% truth, but here's the basics of what I found:

1. Ireland is rabies-free and is super protective and strict about pets coming into the country, even if they have prior rabies vaccination history and no lapse in boosters.
    2. Because of the rabies issue, high-risk countries must perform what's called a rabies serological test (also known as the rabies titer test) on the pet, which has a 3 month waiting period and a standstill period of 3 months before it is allowed to travel to Ireland. High-risk countries aren't always defined the same way. I've seen some websites say that the US is considered high-risk, and others that exclude the US from the high-risk list. If this test is required for Kitsu to move with me, then I will not be able to bring her over during my move, so this is my biggest concern right now.
    3. She must be cleared at Dublin airport by a veterinary consultant before being allowed in the country, even though she will have all her paperwork in line.

Friday afternoon, I emailed a company called Pets on Board (there are actually a few companies with this name - this one was actually based out of Ireland) with a plea of help for my situation. They are a pet moving company with veterinary staff that will clear your pet at the airport when you arrive. I explained to them what United said and didn't allow, and what Air Canada claims but I'm uncertain with. I asked if the rabies serological test is required and if there's any way possible to get around the 3 month requirement if so, because I saw something about speeding up the process if you can get an EU-certified vet to do the test, which they would be able to do since they employ vets at their company and they are actually in the airport, too. I have not heard back from them yet, but I do plan to post any updates I receive from them, and hopefully soon. The flight prices are getting ridiculous and I'm getting nervous about Kitsu not being able to come with me. I just want to put this stress in the back of my mind. Who knew how hard it would be to bring a pet into Ireland. It's 10 times harder than bringing a human. :banghead:

Anyway, as for the whole in-cabin vs cargo thing... here's my stance. Yes, I want her in-cabin with me. I will do my best to make that happen. If this is not an option, I will use Pets on Board or another company specialized in moving pets abroad, because I don't trust an airline company to do it by themselves. Sure, everything could be fine if I just use the airline, but I don't want to run the risk. I also may or may not try to drive the 7 hours it takes to get to the nearest airport that has a direct flight, if it means less risk for Kitsu being checked as cargo. I just have that fear that she won't make her connecting flight for some reason, and if I show up in Ireland without her, I'd be absolutely devastated.

Here's to hoping I can get a game plan started soon. Such a headache, but she's worth it, and I'm doing my best so I don't have to leave her behind. Plus, I don't want to start this next chapter in my life without her.

26. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I can’t imagine how stressed you must feel right now. I definitely felt PetAir were worth every penny. If you were doing a connecting flight would the pet flight company not help with that too? Do let us know how you get on. Where is the main airport you’ll be flying out of?

27. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Also, I do believe USA is not high risk rabies so you should be ok without testing.

28. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Thank you, Anne. I'll look into PetAir if Pets on Board doesn't work out, but I'm probably going to stick with them due to them being able to clear her at the airport when she lands. I think I have to schedule a separate vet company to come out and meet her if I don't use them. The details on that are still being worked out. It's been fun trying to figure out everything. It also doesn't help that this isn't the only major issue on my plate, so my brain is a little fatigued on what I'm retaining/remembering correctly, since I'm looking at a lot of other things in between Kitsu's stuff. Thankfully my last day of work is Friday, then I can focus on everything else and prepare a little easier.

Pets on Board should be able to help with the connecting airport, yeah. I'm just a worry wart in case something goes wrong. :( I know direct flights will always be easiest, but the only airport closest to me that does it is a 7-hour drive, which is no fun. And as for what airport I'd be flying out of, it would either be St. Louis (STL) or Kansas City (MCI), depending on which flight has better prices/layover times/overall scheduling.

This is what I saw last night when I researched it again, and I hope this is the case. I just remember seeing something on Friday during my research that the US was considered a high-risk rabies country, so I panicked when I saw the serological test requirement. I very much hope you are right and I'll get full confirmation from Pets on Board, since they will know the laws/policies for certain. Thank you for the support. :bighug:

29. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Stay calm lol. USA is considered a controlled rabies country so you’ll be fine. Just review whichever pet flight company you use, some are definitely better than others. They will help you put all the paperwork together and you should therefore not have to be vetted the other end. You do have to pay to clear the other side in addition to fees which I think they call compliance checks. My company messaged or called me each step of the way ie collection, arrival at overnight boarding and confirming they were on the plane.

30. PussCatPrince - GA

My belief is that the USA is not a high risk country.

I am so pleased that you are liaising with a pet carrier or two.

31. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Thanks Anne, and yeah, "stay calm" is something I've struggled with my entire life, haha. Worry about everything, even though I know it doesn't prevent issues from coming up, so there's no point in getting worked up before things happen. It's something I need to work on, for sure. I think once all is said and done with the pet company and the flight being booked, I'll go get a professional massage done, haha. But yeah, Pets on Board seems to get good reviews and they have success stories/pictures on their Facebook page, which is reassuring. I'll be sure they keep me informed on everything.

Prince, thanks for weighing in again - I will let you and everyone else know how things go. Hoping to have everything squared away within the next few days so I can finally book my flight and not have to worry about whether or not she's coming with me. Especially since her EU microchipping and rabies booster are on Thursday this week - definitely don't need to get those if she isn't coming with me, but I will find out for sure before then.

32. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Where are you? I ask because every time I look into flights anywhere, I have to compare between MCI and STL too since I'm right in between them. It's 6 of one and half dozen of the other as far as miles for me, so the best price wins out every time!

33. Noah & me (GA)

Lots of good advice. These are for you Jenna.
    xanax-25.jpg

34. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

Hello Jenna,

Best of luck on your move! I couldn't help becoming interested, and when I'm interested I start researching.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/pets/bringingyourpetcatdogorferretintoireland/#Your
    This is Ireland's official Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine website, and the link should go immediately to the section where is shows the US is a lower-risk country. There's a fair amount of good information here, and since it's a government site it should be up-to-date.

The Annex IV certificate may take 7-9 days to get squared away. That's not a lot of leeway. And I'm finding total costs to be "around" $150. I'm not sure if it's best to stay with your vet for the certificate, or to find one that's done several -- or better yet, lots. In the hopes that no mistakes are made that might put you behind schedule. This might be an area where Pets on Board might be helpful. I took a look at the form, and it's, like, 7 pages long. :bookworm:

Your compliance check will need to be arranged in advance. The DAFM only lists two veterinary practices (with their email addresses) for this step. If you do go with Pets on Board, this might be something to double check with them. Also, get the complete price for the compliance check, since it's giving me the impression that everyone involved wants to add their own little fees to it.

--I couldn't help but laugh that if your pet is microchipped but it's *not* compatible with ISO standard 11785, you may bring your own hand-held scanner for them to use :smuggrin: Probably not something most people pack in their carry-on.

Once you're settled, you may want to look into getting Kitsu an EU pet passport; your Annex IV should be good for 4 months after entering Ireland, and you'll need it for the passport.

You've likely already read all the above information elsewhere, but I thought another pair of eyes going through it couldn't hurt. And the DAFM has both email and phone numbers; no reason not to get in contact with them just to triple check everything you might need. In fact, they might have a recommendation on suitable airlines. :bighug: Wishing you and Kitsu the best of luck on your journey!

35. ArmyFrau

ArmyFrau New Member

Hi,
    So I've done much traveling in my past with animals. My first grey tabby traveled pretty well in the car but I was nervous taking him on his first flight so I tranquillized him. I practiced slightly beforehand by giving him doses at home to see how much I needed. I regret that I didn't actually take him out in some stressful place while testing dosing. If you decide to dose, practice plenty beforehand with dosing and actually taking him out while he's medicated. So he seemed groggy for most of the flight (LAX to Atlanta) in the bag at my feet. Until maybe an hour or so before landing he started to howl! Something he has never done before or since! Then he started grabbing at the bag (I had gone with a soft-sided bag to make sure it had a little flexibility to get it under the seat....no way would I risk having to put him overhead! He grabbed and grabbed at the bag like a wild animal trying to escape! VERY out of character for my boy. Then he actually ripped the zipper a little bit....I had been so careful and put a twist tie on the zipper end so he actually ripped the sewing a little bit and got the zipper a little separated from the bag. I was so afraid he would get out! I never tranquillez him again. After that I flew with him just as he is. He flew several more domestic flights, once I had to ship him as cargo, and then we did LAX to Dusseldorf connecting to Stuttgart. He always did well.
    When we had the layover in Dusseldorf (it was something like four hours!!!) I looked around until I found a really private corner and made it more private with my carryon. I let him out and put down a peepeee pad and sprinkled a few tablespoons of kitty litter on it. He wouldn't use it. He did drink some water. But he must have gone 18 hours? or so without urinating. I think cats are very capable of that. But I think the idea of the family restroom is a great idea! They didn't have those 10 years ago.
    A few points:
    1. Leash and harness is a must. He has to come out of the bag to go through security and I saw a rabbit once escape in the area and everyone chasing it!!! Night mare!
    2. Customs in Germany barely looked at me let alone the cat?? And I had been so scared of their stringent requirements. But they don't sound as serious as Ireland.
    3. Taking cat out in the plane is a very big no, no! I have squeezed a finger into the bag while he was on the floor to scratch his neck but that's all. I tried to keep him very low profile so as not to have upset neighbors. I have seen other cat owners take a different approach....like you suggested....and be very open and offer to move, etc.
    4. I have a psycho-dog who's even more traveled than my cat. He is TOTALLY NEUROTIC. I really thought he would die on his flight from Stuttgart to Frankfurt to Atlanta. He apparently did absolutely totally fine. I should have taken a valium.
    5. Get a Thundershirt. I don't have a cat one because my cats don't travel anymore. But I have the dog one and it has made a VERY substantial difference in the dog. With it, ha can actually sit down.
    6. The Feliway makes a collar, too. even if you don't notice a difference, it can't hurt. It's supposed to be the pheromone mother lactating cats give off to newborns to make them feel safe in the world. I figure the cat needs the pheromone not the bag so I put it on my cat who doesn't like my dog.
    7. The tryptophan comes in little treats for dogs....it. might come the same way for cats.
    8. I did the overkill approach on my dog....every thing I could do, I did.
    Good luck, keep us posted and try to be as calm as possible. Terrible advice, I know but it helps. It's international flight with free liquor.....if you drink, have a glass of wine! Unless you took that valium in which case, skip the wine!!! I feel your pain....it was very difficult for me every time. :nailbiting:

36. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Mid-MO, just like you, judging from your signature and airport choices. Small world! :cat:

Thank you, Esse! I actually looked at the agriculture website you linked before bed last night (before I saw your post today) and I know why my wires got crossed on the whole "high-risk or not high-risk?" thing yesterday. On Pets on Board's website, they basically copied the requirements for the high-rabies countries and slapped a general label on it, stating that, "If your pet is not from the EU, these are the requirements to bring the pet in" and it listed the rabies serological test because they had used the high-risk country requirements. I was kind of an emotional mess last Friday when I was reading all of this, so my brain must have skipped the United States being listed on the 'normal' requirements instead of the high-risk requirements list. So yes - she will not need the test. Incredibly happy about that!

I appreciate all the research you have done so far. It helps having a second set of eyes on it, for sure. If you don't mind, can you clarify why the Annex IV cert may take 7-9 days to get squared away? As far as my vet has told me, I just need to get it done within 10 days of my flight, then take it to the State Animal Health Officer and have it endorsed. As for the compliance check, yeah, it looks like I'll have to use one of their two vets, because I heard back from Pets on Board today and they basically said they can't help me if I want to fly her in-cabin. They can only assist if she is flown as excess baggage or cargo. :(

I'll check into the EU pet passport when I get her settled in. Oh how I cannot wait for that time to come! Thank you again for your researching, I really do appreciate it. :bighug:

Thank you, Army! I read through all of your points and appreciate you sharing your personal experience on the matter. Looks like you had a lot to go through as well. I'm glad your pets came out alright after it was all said and done! I will say the more I hear people sharing experiences of a sedated cat, the more I definitely will not be doing it. Only thing I plan to give her is a little anti-anxiety tablet, and if her home testing goes awry with it, I'll just skip it on flight day and take her over cold turkey. Not something I want to put her through, but it's going to be a bit of a struggle regardless of how it's done, since no cat wants to ride in a car/plane for 20-22 hours. :( But I will do my best!

---------------------------

Alright, so here's an update: Pets on Board got back to me today. They said they cannot help me unless she is flying as excess baggage or cargo, since in-cabin pets require different procedures for going into Dublin. Kind of silly that they didn't give me any ideas on what that meant, but they told me to contact the Department of Agriculture, so I emailed them right after asking what the requirements are for me to bring her into the airport in-cabin. I will wait to see what they say. Thanks to Esse's post from earlier, I will also go ahead and reach out to the two vets on the DOA website to see if they have any information to give me on this process, and can hopefully recommend an airline to me. Still thinking it will be Air Canada, though, because of their pet policy. Just have to chance customs and immigration in Canada, which I hear is pretty strict. But who knows, maybe I'll find another airline as well. I'm also not 100% sure I will be flying her in-cabin, it's still a decision I'm wavering between depending on what the DOA says. Will keep this thread updated!

37. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

I think the 7-9 days estimate is to account for any error or mistake that might have been made in the paperwork, or a delay with your local APHIS. According to their website, the Annex IV can be mailed in, or you can make an appointment. Maybe part of the delay might be from people not knowing they might need an appointment? Just in case you haven't been to this particular section of their site, it's: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel
    When I click for Ireland, one of the requirements is that it has to be an USDA Accredited Veterinarian that fills out the cert; perhaps some folks get their form filled out by an unaccredited vet, which would also cause a delay? I think, with all the planning and research you're doing in advance, you shouldn't have any hold-up :bighug:

Now that I think of it, that 7-9 days might solely be what people are waiting for the cert to get mailed, then mailed back to them :eek: Not a problem you'll have.

38. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Well... crap. I was taking it the way my vet explained it - she said she could fill out the EU cert, then I could run it down to the USDA State Animal Health Office and have it endorsed. But on this website, it looks like they would need to do the health certificate AND the endorsement, as my vet would not be qualified to do the health certificate. Guess that will be my next point to follow up on. I will call my local USDA office and find out what needs to be done, and if my vet truly can fill out the EU health certificate. Otherwise, getting an appointment with this other vet might be really difficult, considering there's only one for the entire state. Grrrr. :banghead:

Thank you for your research, it really is appreciated. :bighug: I will update tomorrow once I find out what's going on. Hopefully they will just let my vet do it, or if not, hopefully they can get me scheduled in before I have to leave.

39. PussCatPrince - GA

AFAIK from what I have been trying to double check for you, neither the UK nor Ireland allow landing for pets in cabin if the route begins outside of the EU.

People sometimes choose to fly from a non-EU country into another EU country which does allow for pets in the cabin. I think France may be one such country. However, that then means getting your pet from France to Ireland.

40. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Yes. That’s what I posted earlier. Also please don’t sedate. No airline should allow a sedated animal to fly. It’s a much higher risk to the pet. If you use a pet transport agency they will do all the paperwork and vetting for you so you don’t have to worry. Our trip was effortless because of this. I knew everything had been properly processed. They even collected them and had made to measure crates. From what I read animals traveling cargo are actually less stressed as it’s dark and no bustle. They just sleep. As I said if you’re worried make sure the captain knows your precious fur baby is on board once you are.

41. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

As far as the landing side my agency gave us specific instructions on where we had to go to collect and how much we would have to pay. In Boston you have to go backwards and forwards collecting paperwork before you can collect your fur babies. I stayed with them whilst hubby did that. Have to say everyone was lovely and the cats were so relaxed. This was Bella (one of my dogs) when we picked her up.think she was pleased to see us! Lol. 25709695-847C-49FC-8373-368D5292F647.jpeg

42. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Ooh I forgot to mention. I sorted all the vaccinations etc and sent copies to PetAir their vet then did the fitness to fly certificates just before they flew.

43. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Just a quick update, since I’m posting this on my phone (not at home).

I called the USDA office in my state and they said that USDA Accreditation is something a lot of vets will opt for, but it’s not mandatory. The woman I talked to also said she would check the database to make sure my vet was accredited, and she is, so that’s a HUGE relief. So my vet is to fill out the EU health certificate, then fax it and the rabies vaccination history to the USDA office the same day. This is only so they can check it over, not endorse it. Then I will call them about an hour later and make sure there are no errors in the certificate and if everything looks good, I will drive there and have my original certificate endorsed. I don’t know why they don’t list accredited vets on the USDA website - I guess the list would need to be updated so frequently that it’s just easier to have people call the main USDA office in their state.

Haven’t heard back from the Department of Agriculture in Ireland yet, nor the two vets that can clear her in Dublin airport, but hoping to hear back from them soon.

Prince and Anne, I’m still looking into the in-cabin thing, just to be sure. I may go with a pet shipping company anyway, but I do want to see if this option is available and what it takes to accomplish it. I will not be sedating her, no worries there.

44. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

I'm so glad to hear the good news with the USDA! Although it is an extra pain that they're not able to list all accredited vets. It sounds like you have all the necessary steps planned well; you should be able to get the cert completed in a quick one or two days. :D You've got this! And you should be hearing back on your other inquiries fairly quickly; it's their jobs, after all, to answer questions and concerns just like yours :bighug: I hope your day is going well; even if you decide not to use a pet shipping company and decide to continue handling all the details yourself -- you're doing great! Maybe losing hair from stress, but doing great anyway. Kitsu is one lucky kitty having you!

45. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Esse, thank you so much! I appreciate it more than you could know. :bighug:

Another update: Today is Kitsu's big vet day. I was so nervous about dropping her off at the vet and going to work. She had a dental (first time), full panel of blood work (I added T4 as well), EU microchip implant, 3-year rabies vaccination (booster), and the FVRCP booster. Got the call from the vet around 30 minutes ago saying that she just came out of anesthetic and is awake and in recovery now. She is stable, but very drugged/wobbly, haha. I'm picking her up after work, so they'll be monitoring her until then. She only had 1 extraction, which was good for a first time dental in 15 years of life! The vet said they didn't catch it on initial exam, but saw it in the X-ray. It was rotten. It was a tooth closer to the back, I can't remember if she said it was a pre-molar or next to a pre-molar. Her blood tests came back great. Thyroid and everything checks out just fine, which is nice because this was her first thyroid test. Only thing that was elevated was BG (of course) and globulin, which I asked about. The vet basically said that it just means there's some inflammation, likely from tooth disease, but it also may be nothing because their machine 'runs high' on that test for some reason. So I won't worry too much on that one.

As for the journey to Ireland, here's what I've found out since my last update. One of the vets that I emailed that can clear her in Dublin airport (Lissenhall) got back to me. Here's the exchange on our email conversation so far:

My first initial email to them: I will be moving to Ireland from the USA in August of 2018 and I would like to bring my cat with me. She is diabetic, so I would prefer to bring her in-cabin on my flight, but I know I'll need to clear her in Dublin airport when I arrive. My question is, how do I go about doing this, and what should I expect when I arrive? I should be meeting all the requirements of bringing her into the country - she will have the EU microchip, the rabies vaccine (booster, since she's been vaccinated her whole life), the EU health certificate, and the EU health certificate will also be endorsed by my State Animal Health Officer. What will I need to clear her in Dublin airport? Where do I need to go once I get off the plane? Thank you for your assistance.

Their reply to that email: We will need name and contact number and flight details ie date and time of arrival and flight number to make the booking. The courier will clear in Dublin Airport and transport your pet to us for the vet to do the compliance check. You should then make your way here to Lissenhall to collect your pet.

My reply to that email: Is the information you provided for when she flies in-cabin, too? Or only as cargo? I guess I just don’t understand if she can come in-cabin with me, and if she can, where do I need to take her once I get off the plane, since the courier won’t find her in the cargo area?

Their reply to that email: The courier will be informed of this and collection will be arranged.

So from this exchange, it does sound like she can be flown in-cabin. I just have to pick an airline that will do it. I will say that while I was waiting on responses from them, I looked more into the cargo option. Here is my pros/cons list of using in-cabin and cargo, and why I WANT to do cargo, but am still leaning more towards in-cabin:

Cargo Pros
    1. Atmosphere - quieter/darker/less scented than cabin
    2. Paperwork will be checked by multiple authorities, leaving very little room for error

Cargo Cons
    1. No control/access to her for 14-16 hours - fearful that she will not be properly cared for (such as not being given water and food between airports, puppy pads not being changed in carrier/traveling in filth, and I won't be able to check her BG or administer insulin)
    2. Increased risk of death due to heat stroke/dehydration, because it will probably be 90-100 degrees that day (only if left outside too long, I know the hold is temperature-controlled)
    3. Atmosphere - could be a few barking dogs in the hold with her
    4. Overall worry of something going wrong and she shows up in Ireland dead on arrival or missing (missed her connecting flight and still stuck in the US alone)

Cabin Pros
    1. Full control of her well-being (BG tests, insulin administration if necessary, food/water, cleanup when she has an accident)
    2. Lessened risk of death due to heat stroke/dehydration, since she will be with me at all times
    3. If she happens to die in-transit for any reason, at least I will be with her in the final moments, rather than have someone deliver the bad news to me

Cabin Cons
    1. Atmosphere - more unfamiliar scents than cargo, may be noisier than cargo depending on if there are babies/kids on board (but the same could be said about cargo dogs barking)
    2. Higher risk in running into issues with airport/airline/customs/immigration staff, since I'd be responsible for her, not an agent from a pet moving company
    3. May have trouble fitting her under the seat in front of me, but she has a soft-sided carrier that's approved by mostly every airline, so this shouldn't be an issue... but it's not impossible

So I'm still reviewing things and waiting to hear back from the other Dublin vet and the Department of Agriculture in Ireland. I guess what would put my mind at ease most with cargo is if I could be promised that my cat would have someone caring with her almost the entire time through this whole ordeal. I don't want lazy airline workers to bring her out on the tarmac and take forever to get her loaded in, especially with how hot it will inevitably be on whatever August day I fly. I don't want them to skip giving her water before the flight and at the connecting airport. I don't want her laying in her own filth if she has an accident and they don't have time/don't want to put fresh puppy pads down. I don't want them to forget to put her on the connecting flight and leave her in the US while I'm thousands of miles away in another country. The list goes on and on. I've made a new mantra for myself this last week or so, which is "trust the system" - basically letting go of my desire to be in control of everything when it comes to her and what she needs to do to get to Ireland. Letting other people (such as my vet today, or the pet transporter if I use one) do their jobs and trust that they will not mess up. I've just had a lot of bad experiences with customer service and I've seen some people mess up really simple tasks so many times, so I'm always going to be worried that someone cannot do a good job with her.

Anyway, this post is a novel, sorry. I'll update again once I hear back from some other resources.

46. Noah & me (GA)

I would definitely go with the cabin option. Just the thought that she is somewhere beneath you but unreachable would be agony for me. Every smell, noise and sight in the cabin is magnified in cargo. Earlier in this thread I mentioned I had flown cats on 2 connecting flights in cargo and just recently a dog in cargo. The dog came off quickly but the cats required me to drive to the cargo hangar which just added to our anxiety.
    No matter what you hear once cargo leaves your hands it's just that, another piece of cargo. If all your paperwork is in order there's no arguing with dimwitted cargo workers or waiting for a supervisor to confirm what you already know. And through the whole ordeal you'll always be able to sneak off somewhere even if it's the washroom for some one on one time.

47. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Thanks Noah, I mainly feel the same about it. I can't shake the feeling that something bad may happen if she's in cargo. I know thousands of other pets have traveled in cargo with no issues, but all it takes is for one careless person to accidentally (or purposely) leave her on the tarmac a little too long in the 90-100 degree heat. If I could delay my flight to a cooler-temperature month, I totally would, but I have to be in Ireland before September (going back to college).

Alright, I have a great update for those who are pro-cabin!

My head's been a little clearer since Kitsu came out of her dental surgery and has been in recovery, so I used this to do some more research into airlines that would allow her to fly in-cabin, as well as continued to reach out to the Department of Agriculture in Ireland. So many airlines look very promising with flying pets in-cabin internationally, until you get to their "government regulations" or "countries with exceptions" list and see the Republic of Ireland listed almost every time. It was very disheartening. However, I went back to "trusty 'ol Air Canada" to triple-check their website to make sure they were still a candidate and that I somehow didn't miss a section that said Ireland was exempt. Sure enough, I found Ireland was listed under a special section (which I hadn't seen before), but it actually said they DO fly pets in-cabin to Ireland. I was completely dumbfounded and in disbelief, so I called them again.

The lady I spoke with confirmed that they can fly her in-cabin the entire journey. I don't like hearing just "yes" and nothing else, because that's what United did to me until I found that it wasn't possible, so I asked a few other questions. She actually pulled up the flight that I was interested in and mentioned that the first flight (small plane) allows up to 2 animals to be booked in-cabin, and that no one had booked an animal yet. Then she checked the second flight (long-haul, big plane) and said that up to 4 animals could be booked in-cabin, and no one had booked an animal yet on that flight, either. So I could go ahead and book if I wanted to, but I told her I would call back and do it later. I emailed the Department of Agriculture in Ireland again last night (this time a different email address that I found on their website specifically for moving with pets) and to my surprise, they actually replied back to me on a Saturday, so I saw their reply just a few moments ago. My question to them was basically, "Can I truly fly my cat into Ireland in-cabin from the USA to Dublin, or will there be issues because she's not in the cargo hold on arrival?" Their answer was: "It’s fine, please come to our office in the customs channel on arrival. You can contact us should you have any difficulty in finding us. Please don’t leave the arrivals hall without meeting us."

So, I think I have all the permission I need to make this a reality. The DOA of Ireland's official response, one of two vets that can clear her on arrival's official response, and Air Canada's official response. The only other thing I can think of being an issue is if, for some reason, Canada has an issue with me laying a pet over in their country. I asked the Air Canada rep if there was anything I needed to do, since I would technically be bringing a pet into Canada, even though it was just a layover and she wouldn't be staying there. The rep said I would need to contact the DOA to be sure, but she didn't foresee any issues, since she would be contained to the airport (and I play to stay in the airport even if my connecting flight gets delayed/cancelled). So I may not follow through with looking that up, since she's the second Air Canada rep that has said that, and no where in my research on pet travel does it say you need to meet requirements of your connecting airport's country just to lay over there.

Alright, that's enough for now, I will post the next update soon. I plan to book my flight either tonight or tomorrow so I can secure her spot on the plane before other people get their pets booked on first.

48. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

I do have secondhand knowledge of one person who years ago flew with her cat in cabin from Atlanta to Paris via Toronto. For some reason, she couldn't fly her cat into the UK, but was allowed to enter the UK from France. She did an overnight in Toronto because of flight times, staying at an airport hotel. She had no problems.

49. Noah & me (GA)

Air Canada is infamous for sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Their agents overstep constantly making judgment calls they're not authorized to.
    I've flown AC many times and eight times in the last few months. Once the plane leaves the gate they're great but on the ground they are just miserable. They did get my wife and our new dog here in one piece but we had to find the dog ourselves. Just pathetic!
    You could always get a second mortgage and fly business class with British Air. We paid an extra $30 to sit in economy-plus, more legroom, same "food".

DSC02782.JPG DSC02784.JPG

50. kimberbee

kimberbee Member

@Jenna & Kitsu
    I hope your plan to fly Kitsu in-cabin works out!!

I wanted to make sure you saw that some airlines have travel restrictions for pets based on weather. I found the ones for Air Canada below, but it looks like this is for cargo pets:

https://www.aircanada.com/cargo/en/shipping/shipping-solutions/ac-live/#subtab_ac-live-restrictions

I don't mean to make you worry about another possible hiccup unnecessarily, but a few years ago, my sister was flying with a cat from Little Rock to Miami not realizing these types of restrictions were in place... and the temperature in Miami was a real issue at the time.

51. Noah & me (GA)

Air Canada would only fly our dog at night, cargo was too hot during daylight hours.

52. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

Hi Jenna,
    @Jenna & Kitsu
    I was just wondering how you and Kitsu were doing leading up to the big move :cat: I hope Kitsu is doing fantastic after her dental.

Two things I thought about, that you might want to do before leaving :joyful: I know that you'll need (and have with you) the physical, original copies of Kitsu's records and paperwork. When I travel with Sam, I have those things, too, but I also keep an up-to-date pdf file online, just in case something catastrophic happens to the physical records. I know the veterinarians and government agencies keep records, but it's handy having them in one place that's accessible anytime, anywhere (there's wifi lol!). Second, which I also have for Sam, is a special red tag with the caduceus saying he's diabetic, what insulin he's on, my contact info, and what food is safe to feed him. Actually, I have two, one for his harness, and one for his carrier. I can't hardly imagine ever losing my big boy, but if I did... whoever finds him will want to turn him in instead of keeping the big luv-a-butt. I think my concern comes from living in a neighborhood where people think pets are interchangeable. But when they see Sam's handful of tags, they ask, "Hey, that cat sick?" and I nod and say, "Yeah, needs shots every day." It's funny how quickly they walk away from the fence.

I hope everything is going smoothly for you :bighug: And that the fireworks are tapering off where you're at.

53. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Time for an update! Sorry to keep anyone who wanted to know more waiting. There have been a lot of things progressing for both Kitsu's situation and my own, so I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and think back on what has happened since my last update.

Dental recovery: She did wonderful on her recovery. The antibiotic she was prescribed (ZydaClin) gave her a bit of diarrhea, but I took some canned pumpkin and added water, then fed it to her through a syringe 1-2 times daily. She hated that, but it did help with her stool consistency. She was on ZydaClin for 10 days, so we just finished that up last Sunday. Her pain med was Buprenex, which was a 5-day treatment. All meds were given as per instructions of the vet and she is now med-free (aside from insulin, of course)!

Flying in-cabin: I booked my flight with Air Canada last week using their online booking process. I called immediately after and made sure she could be in-cabin for both flights and they said yes and got her booked in on both the first and connecting flights. I also checked Canada's regulations with bringing pets into the country, just in case that stops me for some reason. Their Department of Agriculture website basically just states that a pet must have a valid pet passport or equivalent, which is what her USDA-endorsed EU health certificate will be. I emailed the one of two vets that got back to me about clearing her after we arrive in Dublin and they booked my appointment for the day/time I fly in. Their courier is supposed to meet me before I go through immigration. I emailed the Department of Agriculture again and asked if they needed anything else from me, or if the vet would take care of it all, but they have yet to respond to that. I'm 99% sure that the vet relays any information over to the DoA, so I don't think I have to do anything, but I'll keep trying to get an official response before I go.

Carrier: I returned her carrier to Amazon and ordered the Delta Deluxe Sherpa carrier instead, because the other one didn't fit the carrier dimension requirements for Air Canada. It was a bit too tall, even for a soft-side carrier, and even though I can squish it down under the seat, I don't want to give them any reason to deny her boarding. I've been rubbing cat nip and putting treats in the carrier to get her to warm up to it. She does go into the carrier to retrieve the treats, but she will not lay down in it yet. I'm hoping I can get her to lay down in there at some point before her trip, but that's asking a lot, haha. Also, her harness and leash came in today, so I put the harness on immediately to make sure it fits. She was able to slip one arm out of the arm hole, but the other arm and her neck were still secured. I left it on her for about 20 minutes, then took it off, since I'm going to let her warm up to it a bit each day. I also gave her treats as soon as I put it on her.

Sedation/Feliway: As already discussed, I will not be sedating her. Feliway doesn't seem to work on her very well, judging from the effectiveness of the wipes. The spray may be another story, but I went ahead and ordered some Bach Rescue Remedy for pets instead. I feel like that might be a better option for her. I plan to do a trial run with it tomorrow to see how it affects her. The fireworks are slowly tapering off, but still lots of them being shot off each day and night, so we will see how the trial run goes.

Now to catch up on some replies...

Red & Rover: I've been noticing that Ireland, UK, Australia, and a few other countries are really hard to get pets into via the cabin. It was very tedious looking through every airline's requirements and restrictions. I did a double-take when I saw that Air Canada directly states they can fly pets in-cabin to Ireland. That's why I called them as well to confirm it. It still baffles me how they can do it, but most other airlines cannot. I'm glad she didn't have any problems once she got everything figured out. Thanks for sharing that story, it's reassuring!

Noah & Me: Thanks for the warnings! I expect to run into some over-zealous gate agents, but I'll be prepared to counter anything they try to throw at me. I'll have printed copies of their in-cabin policy, as well as flying to Ireland policy, and my receipt of payment to book her through the entire flight, not just the first one. Hopefully things will go smoothly and there will be no need for me to have to pull all my paperwork out for them. I'm glad it worked out for you, although it does sound like a pain for what you had to endure. Cute dog, by the way! :bighug:

Kimberbee: Thank you! I did read about the weather restrictions, which is why I opted for in-cabin as well. Nearly every day has been 90-100 degrees here for the last several weeks, and it's only going to get hotter and more miserable when August rolls around. There aren't a lot of options for early morning or evening flights where I live, so in-cabin was the only way I was going to get peace of mind. I can't see why they would restrict her travel in-cabin, but I'll definitely keep it in mind. Hopefully they don't go to that extreme, though!

Esse: Thank you! I actually did just order a tag for her harness, it has her name, my phone number, and it says, "Diabetic diet only" and "Insulin dependent" on it. I plan to stick it on her harness or her collar, if I decide to make her wear one. I'll probably just opt for the harness and put her rabies tag and her custom tag on both. I did plan to print out a small slip of paper to put on the actual carrier, though, basically with the same information as the custom tag, plus a bit more. I like the idea of keeping digital copies of her records, so I'll definitely take pictures of those and store them both on my phone and in my email, in case something happens with my phone. I'm also going to have her Young Again Zero Mature dry food in a baggie in her carrier pouch and I will label that, too, so people know she has food with her. I plan to give her a little at the connecting airport if there's time and if she will eat (I don't think she will, but a couple of kibbles would be nice), and the vet can give it to her when she lands in Dublin. At first, I was pretty worried about her going off to the vet without me while I was dealing with immigration in the airport, but honestly it's probably for the best. She will be delivered to them while I deal with long lines and paperwork to get myself into the country, and they can give her insulin/feed her/give her water/let her go to the bathroom as needed. I'll only be an hour, two tops without her, then we'll go on the 3 hour car ride to our new home and be done with this whole deal. I can't wait! Thanks again for your suggestions and feel free to throw any more that you think of my way.

I will post my next update when something significant happens, but right now, the plan is to continue packing up my place so I can move in with my mom next week. I'm living with her since my lease expires at the end of the month, so Kitsu's going to have to get used to another new house for a month before her flight to her new permanent house. Things are definitely moving quickly! Thanks to everyone who has been helping us along the way so far. :bighug:

54. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Just a quick update, as I need to get to sleep. Kitsu's health certificate day was yesterday, so I took her into the vet. It was an hour and a half visit, mainly waiting on the vet to complete paperwork and fax it to the USDA office for approval. Once everything was approved, they said I could run the official copy down to the USDA office and get it endorsed. However, they close at 2:30pm, and my vet appointment was finished up at 1:30pm. The time it would have taken to drive Kitsu home and then go to the USDA office wouldn't have worked, so I had to put that step off until today. Today, I drove the paperwork to the USDA office and had it endorsed. Basically they added an official embossed stamp to every page of it, and signed off on a page or two. When they handed the paperwork back to me, I asked, "So this is it, right? This is all I need?" and the lady told me I would need to check with my airline to make sure that's what was needed, since it was only good for immigration/customs. She mentioned something about maybe getting a smaller health certificate for the airport, although I don't know why that matters. Sigh. I'm PRETTY SURE what I have is all I need, but to be safe, I called Air Canada. They had a hold time of over an hour and I never connected with anyone, so I'll try back tomorrow. It's been a crazy rush to get everything squared away for both Kitsu and me before our flight, which is coming up this weekend. I will try to update again before the flight, but may not have time. Here's to hoping I have everything we need!

Leah likes this.
  55. Noah & me (GA)

Not wishing you bad luck but a lot of Air Canada's call centers are in India. When my mom lost her walker that word was not on their list of 100 English words to know. "Mobility device" finally did the trick. That might not be PC but it's really not in tune with today's world.
    Once you get to Irish soil and let Kitsu smell some Celtic grass this will all seem like a distant memory. Keep us informed. :) ;) :smuggrin:

56. Susan&Felix(GA)

Susan&Felix(GA) Well-Known Member

Looking forward to hearing that it's over, it went well, and you're all contentedly at home in Ireland!

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  57. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Hey, everyone! Typing this up from the Emerald Isle. Kitsu and I made it safe and sound with no issues!

So where I last left off, I said I was going to call Air Canada again to make sure I had whatever they needed to let Kitsu board her flight. The first day I called, I got a rep that sounded like he didn't want to be there, and he just said, "They don't really check anything." I knew this was false, so I called back the next morning. The lady had a very hard-to-understand accent. She said I would need an identification tag with some information on it, but I couldn't really make out everything she said other than departure address, phone number, etc. and arrival address, phone number, etc. She said it would need to be attached to the carrier. I think she thought my pet would be flying in cargo, even though I said cabin. I went ahead and made/printed a label for it, anyway. I called back the next day just to make sure everything was squared away one final time. The guy I got said all I needed was the EU health certificate. So basically all 3 reps told me something different. I just figured with my EU health certificate and my label, I should be good.

Onward to the journey! Long story, but want to include detail for anyone who reads this in the future and has questions about how it all worked out.

So the day of my flight, I got up and started getting things ready. My vet told me to give her a half-dose of insulin if she would eat. If no eating, then skip the insulin. I got her to eat, so I gave her the half dose. She had 2 hours to continue eating a bit before we hit the road, which she did eat a tiny bit more. I gave her some treats with Rescue Remedy for Pets on them. We had a 2 hour drive to the airport, then about a 30-minute check-in process with Air Canada. The rep I got had never checked a pet in before, so she got her supervisor. Between the two of them, they were the hardest part of the trip with their incessant questioning of things that were mentioned in the paperwork they asked for (that I gave them). First, they assumed she was a dog, I'm unsure why. Then they asked why I didn't have a pet passport and I had to explain that the EU health certificate acts as a pet passport. Then they said the rabies vaccine shouldn't have been done the same day as the microchip install - this is only true if the rabies vacc is done BEFORE the chip install, but Kitsu's was done after the chip install, which is correct. I had to explain this to them. They argued with me on it for a bit, until they finally checked into it and realized they were wrong. They also thought the health certificate was done back on June 28th, which is when her chip/rabies vaccine were done, so I had to explain the health cert was done on August 6th and was still valid. Then they said I owed $100 for the pet in-cabin fee, which I told them I already paid by phone when I booked her into the flight. They said they didn't see that I paid it, so I had to show them my receipt (good thing I printed everything). Finally, after a few more stupid questions, they printed my boarding passes and I was able to go through security.

Security was easy-peasy. I read on TSA's website that you need to declare things like syringes and insulin to the agents before screening, so I did. They said it didn't really matter, so I left them in my bag. They had me remove Kitsu from her carrier and I walked past (not into) the body scanner. When my bag and her carrier passed through, the agent took them off the belt and inspected them. She said she knew that I had the medical supplies, but they still had to screen it, which is fine. After a thorough search of both the carrier and my backpack, they had me put Kitsu back in her carrier, then they swabbed my hands. I came back negative on whatever they were testing (Explosives? Not sure), and was able to continue on to the gate. At the gate, I gave Kitsu some more Rescue Remedy by rubbing it into her ears, since she wouldn't eat or drink. We got on our flight and I was lucky enough that several people didn't show up, so I got my own row to myself, which I used to store my bag and her carrier under the seat. She only meowed a few times through the 2.5 hour flight. She did try scratching through the carrier a few times, but her nails were trimmed, so she didn't succeed. We landed in Toronto and got off the plane to head to our next gate.

Toronto was... kind of a nightmare to navigate. They dropped us off on the tarmac, which isn't the first time I've deplaned on one, but I was hoping to avoid it with Kitsu because of loud noises. I quickly hurried inside the airport and the walk was long and tedious to the next gate. With her 15 pound carrier (her + carrier weight) in my arms and my 30-pound backpack, I was dripping sweat when I got to customs and immigration. I dipped off into the nearest bathroom to get Kitsu cleaned up (she had only peed, thankfully) and to clean myself up a bit, too. She got many compliments and strange looks from the women entering and leaving the bathroom as I had her on the baby changing station (which I thoroughly sanitized after I was done with it), giving her a baby-wipe bath. I cleaned out her carrier with the wipes and put new puppy pads down for her. Off we went to customs and immigration, which was... fun. They have these kiosks that you check in at. The crowds are enormous, even after 9:00pm. People were shouting and pushing into each other to get to the kiosks. As soon as I got in line for a kiosk, they all suddenly went down. Mass panic ensued as people didn't know what to do. The airport staff was trying to herd us all into a line to get to the customs and immigration agents, but people were yelling about this or that. I felt so sorry for Kitsu having to endure what probably felt like another planet to her. We finally made it through that and it was another long walk to security.

I was hoping to avoid going through security again, but that wasn't going to happen. Fortunately, Canada's security is a hell of a lot more relaxed, so I was able to keep my shoes on and didn't have to take liquids out of my bag. I took Kitsu out again and we walked through a metal detector. They didn't search my bags, they just did the hand-swab again and I tested negative, so we were free to go. I took Kitsu into a family restroom for some privacy. I took her out of the carrier and let her walk around in the clean area for a bit. I put her on the baby changing station and offered her some food and water. She didn't want either, there was too much noise outside the bathroom. I tried for a bit longer, but ended up giving up, as we needed to get to our gate. Once I got us to the gate, I took her into another family restroom nearby and she did eat a few treats and drank a small bit of water. I tested her BG and she was over 400, the first time in a LONG time, but it was to be expected with the traveling. I gave her some more Rescue Remedy, this time on the nose so she would lick it off.

We boarded the second flight and I didn't get lucky to have the row to myself again, but I did sit next to a very nice Northern Irish man. We chatted for a bit at the beginning of the flight. His reaction to me moving to Ireland was priceless. I didn't mention to anyone on either flight about my cat, I figured it would just cause a fuss if my seat neighbors were allergic or something. Kitsu did great on the second flight as well. She meowed every so often, but the engines of the plane made it hard for anyone else to notice it unless you were specifically listening for it. She did try to claw the carrier again, but thankfully the nail trim stopped any damage. She was quiet for a large majority of the flight, so I assume she either nodded off, or she just sat in silence. When we landed in Dublin and sat on the tarmac waiting to deplane, she did meow a few times, audible enough for other people to hear, but no one cared since we were getting ready to leave the plane anyway. We finally got off the plane and headed for immigration. This was the part that confused me - in the emails I received from the Irish vet and the Irish Department of Agriculture, I wasn't exactly sure where to meet the courier. I figured I would just speak with immigration and find out. I tried to find a bathroom to dip away into again to check on Kitsu's puppy pads and to see if she needed to be cleaned up, but there were no bathrooms on the way to immigration, so I just had to skip it.

My immigration agent was... unpleasant, to say the least. I've had good immigration agents when I visited the country before, and one other sour one, but this one took the cake. Just a crab, I guess I could say, to put it nicely. He made snark remarks every time I answered his questions. Anyway, after he checked my paperwork and stamped my passport, I asked him where I could take my cat to be picked up by the vet courier. He told me to take her down to customs and they had agents there to accept her. Off I went to customs, which is also where baggage claim is, so I grabbed my bags first. I was going to head for the restroom to check on Kitsu, but because I had scheduled the appointment for 10:45am for the vet courier to pick up Kitsu, and it was already 11:30 after going through immigration/getting my bags, I decided not to delay the process any longer (and there were no bathrooms nearby). I talked to the customs agents about Kitsu and they were very nice. They told me the vet courier was at the other terminal and he would circle back around in about 5 minutes to pick up Kitsu. They had me take a seat and I waited for him to arrive. A lady came over to me and told me that the courier wasn't going to make it over, but she worked directly with him, so she would be taking Kitsu to the vet instead. I handed her my paperwork - the EU health certificate, her rabies vaccination certificate, and her shot records. She was really nice and helpful. She told me she would take Kitsu to the vet and her compliance checks would take about an hour, so I could come pick her up then. Off she went with Kitsu and all of her paperwork.

I went to pick up Kitsu about an hour later and the vet said she was cleared and everything was good to go. The fees for the courier + importing her into the country were 230 euro - not bad because I never did check on how much this was all going to cost. It definitely gets pretty spendy if you add everything together - $137 for the EU health certificate, $38 for the USDA endorsement, $100 for the in-cabin pet fee, $260 (converted from 230 euro) for importing into the country, not to mention the other small stuff (rabies vacc, microchip, carrier, traveling supplies, etc.) But it's all worth it. I knew it wouldn't be a fun experience for her coming here, but I honestly think she will like Ireland, and I can trust myself to take care of her rather than leaving her with a friend/family member who won't give her the care she needs because they don't want to do BG tests or shots.

Anyway, Kitsu and I had another 3 hours of driving before we finally arrived at our new home. She has her own shed that has been nicely fixed up and is honestly something I wouldn't mind living in... haha. She will be allowed outdoors soon, I'm just keeping her in the shed for a few days to let her get adjusted to the new climate, smells, and sounds. But she is doing great. Been a little shy on eating, but that's usually how she is when she goes somewhere new. It takes her a few days to adjust and get back to eating normally again. I'm making sure she gets enough food in the meantime.

There's my story. I can't thank you all enough for the help you've offered me through one of... wait... maybe THE hardest thing I've ever done in my life. I've been to Ireland several times so I knew I what to expect for myself, but ensuring the comfort and wellbeing of another creature, especially with not having experience with flying a pet before, was definitely a challenge. Yes, I defnitely did worry too much on certain things, but on other things, I'm glad I triple-checked and asked the annoying questions that people probably groaned about. Everything went so smoothly, and like I said in the beginning of the story, the hardest part was dealing with Air Canada's check-in agents. But TSA, Canada's security, Canada's customs/immigration, Ireland's customs/immigration, and Ireland's Department of Agriculture/compliance vet were all extremely easy.

I'll submit this post and attach some pictures of Kitsu soon!

Susan&Felix(GA), Dyana and kimberbee like this.
  58. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

IMG_1085.JPG
    "Why a leash? Do I look like a dog to you?" - Taken before boarding first flight.

IMG_1090.JPG
    "Are we there yet?" - Taken before boarding second flight.

IMG_1105.JPG
    Kitsu's new shed!

IMG_1106.JPG
    "Welcome to my new pad!"

IMG_1129.JPG
    "Finally, the long journey is over! My new permanent home."

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    Leah, Susan&Felix(GA), Dyana and 2 others like this.
  59. Noah & me (GA)

Yay for Kitsu! Did everything I told you about Air Canada agents seem like an exaggeration? I'm Canadian so there's no built in bias, it's just been that way forever. They are the definition of miserable. Toronto airport is fun isn't it? The signage is terrible, you never really know what level you're on and the security is (thankfully?) a joke. I've never been scanned in Canada, just groped.
    I know that had to be hard especially with all the driving and waiting between flights. Now you'll never have to fly AC again. I hope you and Kitsu have a wonderful new life. You don't have to thank us, it was a pleasure and we hope you stay in touch. This is everything the internet should be; more compassion, less Kardashian.
    Oh yeah, God save the Queen! (and those stupid Corgis, nasty little dogs). Oh wait, you're in Ireland, not the other Ireland. God save Kitsu, all hail Kitsu! :smuggrin:

60. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

Congratulations on your new home. So glad it all went smoothly for you. They travel far better than we think they will. Lol

61. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

No exaggeration on the AC agents, they were pretty incompetent at times, haha. I can't complain too much since I actually made it here. Toronto's airport was very strange. I've been to several airports, I think Chicago O'Hare is still my least favorite, but Toronto was pretty bad. Like you said, the signage is terrible, I had to ask for help because I had no idea where I was or where I was supposed to go. I followed all the signs that lead to "Connections" and then I ended up in some weird baggage claim room with a guy just sitting there. I showed him my boarding pass and asked where to go and he said, "out the door and 2 levels up" And just like you said, the levels are confusing because they aren't signed well, so I had to ask for help again once I got out of that room. Thankfully I was not groped, had that done plenty on my last trip, haha. Maybe they took pity on me because I had a cat in my arms.

It definitely was difficult with all the driving between airports and waiting for flights. I think it was a total of about 22 hours from the time we left my old home and the time we got to the new home. The longest trip she's ever been on without a break is 1 hour, so I imagine she felt like she was passing through so many unknown portals of hell or something. I'm just glad she made it without any injuries. She really likes her new shed and I just got done applying some Advantage Multi on her, so she will be able to go outside once it dries and once it stops raining, which should be in about an hour or two.

Haha, yes, I'm in the Republic, not the UK, so no Queen here! ... But I do have to pass through Northern Ireland enough to carry the Queen's currency every so often, so... it's not totally avoidable. ;)

Thank you, Anne! You're right, she did excellent on her travels, I couldn't be more proud of her!

62. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

What a story! Thank you so much for sharing. I am very glad the grand travel is over for you and Kitsu. I hope both of you will be very happy there and, yes, please do keep in touch. Just because you moved, doesn't mean you aren't still part of the family/community. Will there be any issues getting the insulin, test strips, proper food? Again, I am so happy you both arrived safely.

63. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I just finished reading your entire story. I'm know you are so glad that is over with.
    I always used the Large Sherpa carrier that you had previously on flights and never had a problem as they fold down to fit under the seat ahead of you. And even though I always had the Health Certificates with me, not once did they ever ask to check them. I had my hands swiped about half the time on flights with my cat, and I never did understand what they were testing for.

I'm taking my two cats on a 6+ hour car ride tomorrow morning and will be returning with them back again on Sunday, and I will be using their hard carriers (because it's a car and safer) and Rescue Remedy. We go on this trip once a year. They will have snug fitting harnesses on while in the car. They do their soft meows for about the first 2 to 3 hours, and then are pretty quiet. Once we are driving home, they always seem to know and sleep the whole way home.

Is Kitsu's shed connected to the house. I was just wondering why she is not staying in the house with you.
    I wish The Best to you and Kitsu, and hope you will continue to post here, and send pictures ;)

Susan&Felix(GA) likes this.
  64. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Lou, I brought my ReliOn Prime meter with 120 test strips to hold me over until I can get a new meter and test strips here. Insulin should be no bother, I'd actually like to talk to a vet here about switching her to ProZinc or Lantus, since I'm not happy with Vetsulin, but I have enough Vetsulin and syringes to get me through the next month while I get settled in. As for food, she loves Young Again Zero Mature, which does not ship to Ireland, and it would cost way too much to order it in the States and have a family member/friend ship it to me, so I brought an 8 pound bag of it over (~3 month supply) and will try to transition her to a new food during that time. I had already ordered some foods from Zooplus to be delievered before my arrival, so she's gotten to try one of the new foods already. Not a fan yet, of course. Picky cat! But I'm working on it.

Dyana, yeah, the differences can be funny when flying with a cat. Who knows when or if they will check your paperwork. I could have probably used the large Sherpa, but just wanted to be safe. Of course, no one really checked the carrier dimensions, so it would have been fine. That car ride does not sound fun, but it's good that you are prepared and know what to expect with it. Also good that they sleep on the way home! As for Kitsu's shed, no, it's not connected to the house. I would have her in the house with me, but my SO (who I moved in with) does not enjoy the company of animals as much as I do, so she has to stay outside/in the shed. She's probably happier this way, anyway, as this is the way she grew up - she used to live in a garage and come and go as she pleased. The same will be with the shed here, although I'll need to lure her in for BG tests/shots every so often, haha.

Thanks to both of you for the well wishes! :bighug:

65. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

I think it's safe to say that she likes it outside. :cat: She got to go out twice so far today, might take her out another time before dark. Trying to slowly acclimate her to it, since it's a way different environment than she is used to. She will be allowed to go outside whenever she wants next week.

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

IMG_1143.JPG

IMG_1144.JPG

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_1149.JPG

66. Noah & me (GA)

Watch out for these guys.
    lucky_charms.jpg See what happens when you learn about other cultures from a box of cereal. Lucky Charms my butt!

Can I ask what made you make such a big move? What a lot of people don't think about is how close you are to so many other cultures and countries. Italy, Spain, Portugal are now almost short-hop flights. My wife is Scottish/Irish and although she's never been back it's in her blood. My mother in law packed parachutes for Lancaster bomber crews. What we think of as being a long time ago was yesterday for some people.
    I envy you making such a big leap. Too many people I went to high school with just stayed where they were, had six kids and drive a 12 year old minivan.
    This is my mom coming to Canada in 1954 on (what else) a boat. My sister is my only sibling born in Holland, also know as "the old country".
    mom00004.JPG

67. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Haha, I love Lucky Charms! They are unfortunately imported here, and the marshmallows are not as soft as they are in the States, so they aren't as enjoyable. I made the move to Ireland for several reasons, but the main one being to end the long-distance with my SO, who I've been with for nearly 6 years now. We visited each other once or twice a year, but we're sick of the distance. Second reason is that I'm going back to school for a bachelor's degree (currently have a 2-year associate's degree), and third reason is like you said, it's a skip away to get to mainland Europe, and I want to travel and explore! Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Denmark, Switzerland, and so many other places are on my list to visit eventually. So it was a lot of reasons that brought me here. I do plan to move back to the States eventually, just not sure when. Will be a while from now, at least.

That is a great picture you have of your mom coming over on the boat, it's crazy to think how much advancement has happened in the travel perspective. I never would have dreamed that I'd be taking Kitsu out of the country, and I'm very fortunate that a plane (well, two) was able to do the job for us. Technology has come a long way and made impossible things possible. And I know it will continue doing so in the future. Teleporters will be a thing, I tell you! Haha. Anyway, yeah, like you said, there is a lot of rich history all over the world, and coming from a 'young' country to an 'older' country is definitely something special. It's funny because my ancestors from my grandma's side (dad's side) of the family came from the same county in Ireland that I'm living in now. It's like we've come full circle or something. So you said your wife is Scottish/Irish and has never been back... not even for a visit? Have you been on a visit? If neither of you have, I highly suggest you take a trip if you're able to. I haven't been to Scotland yet, but I hear it's great, and I've been around bits of Ireland to recommend it to anyone who likes temperate climate and beautiful scenery. :cat:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Reason for edit: Spelling
  68. Noah & me (GA)

Marshmallows here are made with gelatin (meat glue, yummy) and my wife is a vegetarian. I'm 90% of the way there, no Haggis here. Or Rice Krispie squares or a thousand other thing if you read the contents.
    How on Earth did you keep a long distance relationship going for six years especially at that length? A transporter would be ideal but the Holodeck, you'd never get me out of there.
    When my parents came here WWII had only been over for 9 years and a lot of Europe was still a mess and of course Stalin breathing down your back had to be unpleasant. Back then immigration could tell you where you would be living for the first bit of time so my parents grasp of English was useless as they were sent to Quebec.
    My wife's family is whacked, my sister in law has already dragged my mother in law back to Scotland and Ireland when she was too old to enjoy it. She's a pompous ass because she thinks she will be the one going back to spread MIL's ashes when the day comes. And of course she won't be paying a nickel. If she knew what we did with her Dad's ashes she'd drop dead. He wanted them spread across the finish line at the Kentucky Derby so we snuck into the funeral home a day early and scooped some out for ourselves
    I'd love to go to Ireland and Scotland. I've read couples who have only been together a short time are not permitted to get married in Scotland because it might be the scenery and culture that's swaying their decision. If I had to toss the caber I'd be staying an extra month in traction.
    This is just another lame excuse to post a photo but we have another Irish connection. We have her family tree dating back five generations.

hannah_nigel02 (2).JPG hannah001.JPG No sheep, only cats. Could have been Kitsu's best friend.

69. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Skype was our main bread and butter, but yeah, keeping a long distance relationship going that long was not easy. I couldn't wait another year, it was too difficult to think about. Each trip to see each other was made harder each time by saying goodbye at the airport. So I finally moved. That's really interesting how your parents have so much history going back to WWII and immigrating to Canada. Sounds like your sister in law is pretty unpleasant, but I'm glad you got to take your father in law's ashes to the Kentucky Derby finish line like he wanted. I didn't know that about Scotland and not being able to marry during a short time because of the scenery and culture, that is hilarious and probably for the best. I love those pictures, thanks for sharing! Kitsu is definitely making friends with the sheep, crows, magpies, and rabbits, haha. :joyful:

Sorry for such a late response, things have been very busy since I got here. And since the purpose of this thread has been fulfilled, I guess I should probably stop posting here, too. If anyone has questions about flying with a cat or doing any of the required paperwork and such, just PM me and I'll try to help when I can! Aside from that, Dickson, and everyone else who has been helping me - thank you so much! :bighug:

70. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Please don't stop posting altogether, perhaps create a thread in Community and Off Topic? We still want to know how you and Kitsu are doing. We have all been companions of the heart on this journey and this part has just begun. I think it's great that Kitsu is getting to know the locals, I hope she is happy and well, same goes for you!

71. Noah & me (GA)

Oh you're not done with us yet. Especially after all we've done for you! :rolleyes:
    Kitsu is still diabetic so you're stuck with us, forever. We need more photos, stories about life, what Irish vets are like. I don't currently have a portrait of the Queen so I'll need a large one, framed of course.
    I'm not sure about that marriage thing, might just be an urban myth but it sure is a nice one isn't it. Now if it was Finland or Zimbabwe I'd know it couldn't be true.
    irish_stamp01.JPG

Idjit's mom likes this.
  72. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Oh no, I don't mean stop posting all together, sorry! I meant on this thread only, haha. Thanks Lou and Dickson. :bighug: Sorry for another late reply, just getting things sorted still. I'll make a new thread in the off topic forum soon. :cat: I love those kitty stamps! Maybe if I stick about 50 or 100 of them on the portrait of the Queen, it will get to Canada? :joyful:

73. Noah & me (GA)

I know it's not Irish but you'll need more stamps for this. Look at the pecks and quads on that guy!
    Don't burst a vein Angus, it's just a game.
    caber02.jpg

74. Jenna & Kitsu (GA)

Idjit's mom and Noah & me (GA) like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.