Moving into dog home with my remissioned cat. Considering Prozac for anxiety

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Braden & Zoe, Oct 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Braden & Zoe

Braden & Zoe Member

hello peeps. Zoe is almost 1 year into her remission. We were lucky and acted fast on switching her food over to friskies pate and after a week of insulin she was no longer diabetic.

Zoe’s little world is going through a shake up next month. Me and her are moving into my girlfriends apartment with her 2 hyper small dog. Zoe has met the dogs a handful of times at my apartment. Maybe no more then 5 30 min visits. She seems Relatively relaxed while the dogs explore the apartment. But if they get in her bubble she starts the long meows, hissing and swatting.

The last time they were over she attacked the oldest dog and it made my girlfriend uneasy. She doesn’t want the cat to meet the dogs again until Zoe gets those rubber nails, and I’m starting to get a little anxious feeling about how zoe will like living in a new apartment with two dogs. We lived in a basement suite once that had a couple dogs upstairs and they met nose to nose a several times but felt uneasy. Zoe is about 10 years old now and I’m concerned how she’s going to take on this new life style from just me and her, quite apartment to new home with a second human and 2 noisy dogs.. She’s always been a very anxious cat. Easily spooked, run for dear life if an alarm goes off or someone knocks on the door. Heck I could be laying in bed petting her and if I rub my foot on the bed sheet she almost jumps out of her skin.

I’ve been doing some research online of how to handle their move-in, greeting and such, but I’ve also been coming across people using Prozac for their cats? Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or if I should worry about any bad side effects that could affect her being in remission? I want the best life for her but I don’t want her spending her golden years , scared, anxious and always on edge.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

I had a "scaredy" cat once, not a diabetic, for whom life was one tiny anxiety attack to the next. He also took to urinating outside the box. My vet doesn't prefer Prozac because she said that it tends to be too sedating, and she liked Amitriptyline better. It did the trick both with the urinating and with just chilling him out a little, and the best part for him was that he didn't have to be on it continuously. We would have him on it for a little while, then lay off for a while until he started peeing out of the box again, or jumping out of his skin, and then we would start again for a while. I'm sure you've also seen the Comfort Zone/Feliway pheromone products in your research -- diffusers, collars, sprays. I've used all three with some degree of success. And of course, give her extra love during the transition! Extra cuddles if she is the cuddling type.

Unfortunately, stress can increase blood sugar, so I encourage you to keep home testing at regular intervals. I personally wouldn't go longer than a week without testing, but honestly I would randomly check every few days to start, and keep a close eye on her water intake and output to see if anything increases.

I don't know how small the dogs are, so it may not be possible to put up a doggy gate with one of those cat escape doors in it to reserve a space for Zoe to go where the dogs can't. But they do make cat flaps that are activated by micro chip. If possible, you could get one and insert it into an interior door into a room where the dogs can't go. Or you could fashion one (without cutting up an interior door) out of a dog gate that has the micro chip activated cat flap installed into it that you can put up and down as you need to. But the idea is just that Zoe would always have a safe place to go even if you get to the point where you feel secure leaving all the critters roaming free together (that's not where I would start, but it sounds like you have that part covered in your research).

Best of luck to you all!

3. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I've heard of Prozac for pets before, it's not as extreme as you might think. It's happened to me.
    If you're thinking about getting a Border Collie think twice, we had no idea what we were in for. In addition to walking off leash for 12 years, nosing kids back when standing too close to cars and learning hand signs on the first try you also get a world of neurotic behavior. Her separation anxiety was one thing but thunder and fireworks sent her into the basement to dig a hole behind the furnace, crawl in and die. Valium was the answer. She could knock down dogs twice her size if she felt you were threatened but was terrified of elevators. What goes through an animals mind is always a mystery. She died of dementia, something people still think is impossible.
    We had a Zoe too, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. She was the accidental momma of our last four yellow cats, it's how we went from 3 to 5 to 9 cats in one year. The happiest time in our lives. Good luck!

4. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

While I understand your GF's desire for the nail caps, those claws are one of Zoe's primary defenses against intrusive behavior by the dogs. And yes, a few swipes to the nose by cat claws is often enough to set boundaries.

That said, I strongly encourage you to set up a "safe zone" for Zoe as soon as you move in. This would be a room or area of the home that has her familiar bedding, food, water, litterbox, etc., that the dogs can't get to. It will take her awhile to settle in and feel safe in a new environment, and an area that is "hers" is really important, especially for a cat who is already anxious. Be sure to spend time with her there too. Introductions to the dogs will need to be slow and controlled. I wouldn't even consider trying an introduction until Zoe has settled into her safe zone and is moving around confidently, tail in the air, and eating and drinking and using the litterbox normally.

Also, it's not just Zoe who has to make concessions. I don't know whether the dogs were raised around cats, but training and control are critical for the dogs. Little dogs can and should be trained to behave as well as big dogs -- i.e., they should know how to sit, stay, be quiet, and "leave it" on command. Full disclosure (general statement and definitely not directed at your GF): my pet peeve is small dogs who have no discipline, get carried more than they walk on their own 4 legs, and act like bratty kids. All of my dogs have coexisted peacefully with my cats but, given that they're all rescues, it sometimes took some work. Hopefully your GF's dogs are well behaved and well trained and are capable of sit/stay when you reach the point of making introductions with Zoe. You might also introduce Zoe to one dog at a time (start with the quieter dog, perhaps) and let her get used to that dog first. Two dogs simultaneously might feed off each other's energy and be far too overwhelming for Zoe.

I'd also suggest exercising the dogs before attempting to make any introductions. Take a long, long walk to burn off excess energy and get them tired.

If the dogs aren't well behaved, then I'd sign them up for dog obedience. Like I said, this isn't JUST Zoe's problem to solve. Dogs and cats can coexist but they have to learn how to do it (especially if they weren't raised on a multi-species home), respect each other's space, and develop trust. All without anyone getting seriously hurt.

If affordable, a dog behaviorist might be able to give you tricks and tools for easing the transition.

As has been said, keep an eye on Zoe's BG. Stress can cause higher BG.

I don't think I'd go straight to Prozac (or any other drug) without first trying to set up a calm, controlled environment and giving Zoe a chance to transition normally. Most cats hate change of any type and need time to decompress after a move. She'll probably hide for awhile -- maybe even a week or two -- but as long as its "her" space and on her timeline, most cats come out and start exploring eventually. If not, maybe talk to your vet about options, including drugs, at that point. And exercise the heck out of those dogs!

Jackson Galaxy had an episode of "My Cat From Hell" where a cat and 2 hyper dogs were moving in together. The couple focused on the behavioral issues the cat was having but Jackson pointed out very clearly that the SOURCE of the problem was the dogs (loud, unruly, uncontrolled). I recognized the scenario right away but it was an interesting and educational episode. Sometimes we need to address the source of the problem not just treat/mask the symptoms.

Zoe will be moving into the dogs territory so it's up to you to set her up for success.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

You will also need to provide places where she will be able to go that the dogs cannot get to. A couple tall cat trees would work. You can also block off access to your bedroom with a baby gate. Use one that is high enough to prevent the dogs going there but she can jump over. I live in a townhouse and have a gate at the foot of the stairs. That is my cats zone that the dog cannot go into. This allows the cats to come out when they want and they are not confined to a room.

These are the things that worked for me when I introduced my dog into my household. My dog is a very hyper husky/boxer mix and can be very overwhelming to my cats. It probably will take several weeks for Zoe and the dogs to adjust to each other. But as long as the dogs are not aggressive and trying to hurt Zoe, they should be able to learn to live peacefully with each other.

6. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes I didn't actually say that but was assuming it -- I agree totally that meds should not be Plam A. Thx @JL and Chip for mentioning it.

But the pheromone things should be, in her safe place, if you decide to use them. Along with everything else mentioned here.

7. Noah & me (GA)

I agree with JL & Chip on a few points. The safe zone is something I've always done when moving. They know something's going on and assume it won't be good. I get them set up in a safe room first, then do the moving. I wouldn't call the drugs a last resort but dosing and timing can take a long time to work out.
    (all future italics are mine)
    From a Google drop-down list: "Fluoxetine is the veterinary equivalent to Prozac. It is used by veterinarians to reduce anxiety and aggression in dogs and cats.
    Side Effects in Cats: Anorexia and behavior changes (anxiety, irritability, hyperactivity/insomnia, and elimination behavior) are the most-commonly reported side effects in cats. Anorexia is a common-enough side effect in the cat that the client should monitor the cat's appetite and weight".

When I Googled both "Prozac in cats" and then "Prozac in animals" I got somewhat conflicting info from PetMD, my go-to guide for stuff like this.
    From Prozac in cats https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/fluoxetine (edited for fluff) I got:
    "Fluoxetine is used by veterinarians to reduce anxiety and aggression in dogs and cats."
    Side Effects:
    Loss of appetite - most common, usually temporary
    Lethargy
    Vomiting
    Tremor
    Diarrhea
    Drug Reactions:
    Acepromazine
    Amitraz (including the flea/tick collars and dips)
    Buspirone
    Cyproheptadine
    Diazepam
    Alprazolam
    Diuretics
    Isoniazid
    MAO inhibitors (selegiline)
    Pentazocine
    Phenytoin
    Propanolol
    Metoprolol
    Tramadol
    Tricyclic antidepressants
    Trazodone
    Warfarin
    Insulin
    An overdose of fluoxetine may result in seizure. An allergic reaction may cause swelling, hives, scratching, vomiting, or seizing.

From Prozac in animals https://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/fluoxetine I got:
    FDA Approved: Yes, for dogs.
    General Description
    Fluoxetine is used by veterinarians to reduce anxiety and aggression in dogs and cats.
    How It Works
    Fluoxetine increases serotonin levels within the central nervous system by allowing it to accumulate and effect the part of the brain that is responsible for social interactions, general awareness, coping mechanism and adaptability. It may take up to 4 weeks to see results.
    Side Effects

Loss of appetite
    Lethargy
    Vomiting
    Tremor
    Diarrhea
    Drug Reactions
    Acepromazine
    Amitraz (including the flea/tick collars and dips)
    Buspirone
    Cyproheptadine
    Diazepam
    Alprazolam
    Diuretics
    Insulin
    Isoniazid
    MAO inhibitors (selegiline)
    Pentazocine
    Phenytoin
    Propanolol
    Metoprolol
    Tramadol
    Tricyclic antidepressants
    Trazodone
    Warfarin
    An overdose of fluoxetine may result in seizure. Contact your veterinarian immediately if your dog begins to seize. An allergic reaction may cause swelling, hives, scratching, vomiting, or seizing.
    Notice the second list says FDA approved for dogs but then says "reduce anxiety and aggression in dogs and cats".

I know that's a long list, maybe print it and sit down with a hi-liter. I felt compelled to reply because I've been in the same situation but was much luckier. The first time we brought home a puppy, then found out our "spayed" female was pregnant. They all adored each other. Fourteen cats later it happened again. We rescued a 72 pound dog that had never seen a cat and before we knew it the dog was grooming the cats.
    If the drug reduces anxiety and aggression in dogs maybe it's the dogs who could be medicated and Zoe could get away with Feliway. Just a thought.
    Good luck.

8. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Try feliway first

9. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Not really true. Prozac is one manufacturers trade name for fluoxetine. Fluoxetine is the generic drug since the patent for Prozac had expired years ago.

I am using fluoxetine for my Stuffles to help resolve problems of him biting me and being aggressive to my other cats (and like my d9g). It is helping and I really do not see any real sedation. It takes a while to work. For humans

Sleep, energy, or appetite may show some improvement within the first 1-2 weeks. Improvement in these physical symptoms can be an important early signal that the medication is working. Depressed mood and lack of interest in activities may need up to 6-8 weeks to fully improve.
    https://www.nami.org/Learn-More/Tre...tions/Types-of-Medication/Fluoxetine-(Prozac)

10. Noah & me (GA)

Hope cats and dogs don't feel this way. My doctor gave up long ago trying to get me on various antidepressants. You'll feel a bit better all right but everything will be so utterly boring. My depression is just the low grade stuff everyone gets but being honest with a doctor is not always the smartest thing.
    We're having some serious "who's the alpha male" problems here but that's just who they are. Then it stops and they all sleep together for hours.
    And yes in humans you may have to wait for what seems like forever to see any changes so be patient and don't fiddle with the dosing.

11. Noah & me (GA)

Sorry Braden and Larry, here I am again dragging a thread off topic and apologizing. Above I made a generalized comment about human drugs and worse yet what could be construed as making light of a serious medical condition. I have my own problems as do we all but honesty and owning up to mistakes is not one of them. That's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.