Moving

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Megan Kochvar, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Megan Kochvar

Megan Kochvar New Member

Hi! Looking for some suggestions on moving with a cat with diabetes. I am worried about her not eating enough to get her insulin for a while after we move. How much does a cat need to eat typically before you can give insulin? Has anyone gone through this?
    I'm just nervous!
    Thanks in advance!
    Megan

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hi Megan! I know moving can be exciting, but I bet it's intimidating with a diabetic cat! I've only ever moved before my Gypsy was diagnosed...though I'm dreading the eventual move I want to make with the 3 I have now!

Generally speaking, with Prozinc, as long as your kitty eats about 1 tablespoon, we say it's okay to give insulin. Prozinc is fairly gentle in its action, so you just want to make sure SOME food is onboard before giving a shot. Kami might not eat right after you arrive at your new place, but I'd bet she will pretty soon. I think a lot of cats just need a bit of time and space to acclimate. So say you moved during the day and arrived at the new place that night...she might not be willing to eat right away that night, but I bet in the AM she would. And she might even not eat right away that night, but eat in a few hours after she's calmed down.

When are you moving? How far are you going? We can probably help you out with some tips for moving day if you need them. @Caitlin M has moved with her diabetic and can probably give you some good info too.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  3. Megan Kochvar

Megan Kochvar New Member

We are moving in a week and a half! We are moving about 30 minutes away, so not too far. We've taken her camping with us before and she usually eats in the camper, but it's significantly less than usual. She stayed at my mother in law's last weekend and hardly ate anything. She perked up when I got there though so I'm hoping she'll be okay since I'll be in the new home with her and so will her kitty brother. I just don't like skipping shots with her so I want to avoid it if at all possible!

4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

I've traveled with mine a couple of times now, and as you said, they tend to eat a little less, but they do eat. It doesn't look like your spreadsheet is up to date, but if you update it (at least the past week), we can help make some suggestions about possible ways to adjust the dose if Kami does eat less.

5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I was out of town about a month ago for several days and mine ate a lot less than normal...but they still did eat. I'd suggest tucking a shirt you've slept in into her carrier with her and then when you let her out at the new place, make sure she has that with her. It'll give her some comfort to have the scent of you and of your old house with her.

I'm guessing she'll eat okay with you around, but as Djamila said, we can give some suggestions for a reduced dose if you'd like?

6. Glassgoblin

Glassgoblin Member

If you can set up a safe space in the new home that might help too; a quiet spot that is secure and won't have as much activity from the unpacking. Where they have access to their litter, food/water and can hide if it gets to be too much stress for them; with all of their toys/beds/scratchers, etc. Kind of a cat-oasis in the middle of everything that is going on.

Noah & me (GA), Djamila and Rachel like this.
  7. Megan Kochvar

Megan Kochvar New Member

Ok, I updated it! I am not the best at checking her levels before both shots (I know, I have to get better at that!). She has been pretty consistently in the 300s every time I check her before her shot. She is typically a really good eater. I am going to switch her to FF classic completely and eliminate the glycobalance. I have been reading suggestions and we are going to confine her and her kitty brother to the basement for a while. That is where their 3 litter boxes will be. We will put a kitty condo and some blankets that smell like us down there. We are moving to a house that is about twice as big as our current home. It is a multi-level home (we are currently in a ranch with no basement) so I am just nervous that they are going to have a hard time. I just want them to be comfortable and ok so any suggestions would be great!

8. Caitlin M

Caitlin M Well-Known Member

Hello! I agree with everything that has been said so far. I'd also suggest maybe looking into Feliway for the new house if you're able to get to it before you move her in? Before I moved across the country I bought the plug ins for where I lived to try to calm them a bit and I also had my boyfriend plug one in to the apt we were moving them into. I'll never really know if it helped, but I think it may have even just a little. If the new house is bigger (yayy!) Then maybe it would definitely help as they start to explore and get more used to. Otherwise I really have nothing else to add! I'd agree with the reduced dose as well if she will eat even a little before you go.

Rachel and Noah & me (GA) like this.
  9. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

That's always worked for me. Cats out of the old place first so they don't see or hear all the commotion, get them snuggled in a safe room with things they're familiar with, especially scent. A bathroom is good, a nice confined space that won't have the door constantly opening and closing.
    Someone else here is moving to Ireland and we just recued a dog from the other side of North America.
    If anyone gets a little too upset the bathroom is an easy place to clean. Good luck.

Djamila likes this.
  10. Megan Kochvar

Megan Kochvar New Member

I just ordered the feliway diffuser on Amazon so I will plug that into the room we will keep them before we move them in! She always needs feliway at the vet so I do think it'll help. Thanks for all your suggestions. I am really worried about both of them because they've lived in the same house for 8 years but I'm sure it'll be ok!

Noah & me (GA), Djamila and Caitlin M like this.
  11. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Sorry it took me so long to circle back here. Looking at the numbers on your spreadsheet, my hunch is that he's already on too little insulin, so I wouldn't reduce any more. I'm sure you're swamped right now, but once you're in your new house, I would really recommend testing a bit more and posting so we can help you get the dose adjusted. As far as the move, it looks like you've had some great suggestions for helping your fur babies adjust! keep us posted on how it goes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.