Mr B's tilt a whirl

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Misterbeesmom, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You got action on 01/15 because you increased the dose for AM shot. That "woke him up". In the days after he was likely bouncing from the greens and since then has gotten stuck in the higher numbers. Teasel does this. I have to tweak his dose upward to get him unstuck. Next time I suggest leaving him at a dose no more than 6 or max. 8 cycles if it's not working. Most bounces will have cleared by then and if BG persists in high range it's because he's stuck.

Misterbeesmom likes this.
  2. Misterbeesmom

Misterbeesmom Well-Known Member

Thanks kris

3. Kris & Teasel

I'm learning this the hard way with my guy. :) I like Mr. B.'s yellow PMPS.

4. Misterbeesmom

Its so perplexing. Thanks for your feedback it helps.

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  5. Misterbeesmom

I really hate it when his bg goes up after a dose. Very confusing.
    Last night he went down quite a bit by this time. A higher dose but pmps was red. Tonight pmps high yellow gave slightly lower dose than last noght, which is still an increase, and tonights response is completely different.

:(

6. Kris & Teasel

I wouldn't focus on individual numbers because they are only instants in time that will fluctuate. The story is in the scattering of colours on the SS - large blocks of pink, red, and yellow that mean too low a dose, bouncing or being stuck versus small strings or clumps of blue or even green that pop up.

7. Kris & Teasel

Going up after a dose is usually related to food. This is Teasel's reaction 90% of the time.

8. Misterbeesmom

Its been awful with other stuff so i'm sapped. His leg weakness has escalated so now he gets poop on himself lately almost every time he poops. He cant clean himself. Xrays showed constipation so on miralax and well you can imagine. I'm contemplating this is the downward spiral. I cant keep this up. I posted in main forum too

9. Kris & Teasel

I answered there.

10. Kris & Teasel

Saw that blue from last night. Have you given any thought to trying Levemir?

11. Misterbeesmom

switch to a 4th insulin-? no honestly nothing has been further from my mind. latest readings havent been bad. almost feels like a pattern. i cant remember the last time we had so many yellow preshots.

and now my vet wants to switch him to DRY renal prescription food because his sdma shows early kidney trouble. feels like we cant catch a break. its always something, and i'm never on the same page with my vet.

there's that other vet thats quite a drive for us. i had booked and cancelled and now i'm wondering maybe we should try again, for fresh eyes. its hard i dont want to put him through it and i'm sick of paying for things that dont help him.

12. Kris & Teasel

I'd take heart in the proliferation of yellows on his SS. Getting the potassium supplement seems to be a good idea. I agree about the dry food. Maybe start the supplement and continue your dosing routine over the next few weeks to see what happens?

13. Misterbeesmom

I think we're in the midst of another somogyi, or a really big bounce. I'm not sure which.

Plus his allgeries are kicking up awfully. He is so congested his nose is whistling and the antihistamines arent working. We just cant catch a break damnit. And of course my vet has once again dropped the ball on the potassium thing. She was supposed to get back to me about a dose. I think we'll be viisting that new vet soon unless he gets bettter suddenly.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. Kris & Teasel

He'll come down Look at 01/24. As I've said before, try not to focus on individual numbers, only trends. There are lots of folks here with allergic kitties: @Lisa and Smoky as well as @Carol & Murphy. They might have suggestions.

15. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry you are having such a difficult time - I completely sympathize with your frustration. Regarding dry food for renal cats - that seems crazy - these cats need extra water and on top of diabetes, wet food seems preferable. Have you looked at the feline chronic renal failure website?
    Murphy has frequent congestion issues - he gets zyrtec 1/2 tab once a day for that. In the spring, my vet suggested I try a new drug for allergies - it's called Apoquel. I saw an overnight improvement with it.

16. Kris & Teasel

Thanks for this Carol. :)

17. Lisa and Smoky

Lisa and Smoky Well-Known Member

Smoky had such horrendous allergies thst I had to take him to a dematologist. He ended up having to get either allergy shots or drops under his tongue. I opted for the drops because I didn't want to have to give him shots. All of that happened before his FD started. I find that ironic now since I have to give him insulin.:rolleyes:
    I can totally understand where you are coming from. Smoky lost over half of his hair and scratched his ears raw.

18. Kris & Teasel

Thanks, Lisa.

19. Lisa and Smoky

I will have to ask my vet about the apoquel for Smoky. Zyrtec doesn't really work on smoky. I spent about a $1000 on allergy treatments and Smoky still has problems. I do know how you feel about spending money and your kitty is still sick. I'm now treating him for IBD and having trouble finding something that works.

20. Misterbeesmom

Thank you, all

Sorry i shouldve specifiied. Its all in his sinuses. We stopped chicken years ago which stopped his itching and fur loss (went back on briefly during diabetes but stopped again when starting losing fur again).

We've had mixed results with antihistamines to the point where i really cant tell if they help or not. Zyrtec seems to not work and actually depresses him. Chlorpheniramine has been our go-to but still nothing seems to get rid of his symptoms 100% with any regularity.

I will keep the apoqurl in mind, maybe it would work for sinus congestion-?

Thanks everyone

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  21. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

That is what Murphy seems to have. I have also heard that Claritin works sometimes as well.

22. Misterbeesmom

Thankfully it seems either he's cleared up a bit or the chlorpheniramine is working.
    We have tried claritin in the past but not lucky. Thanks!

23. Misterbeesmom

A little confused about his pattern since last night. Nice night and am and shot right up quicklyjust now. Weird.

24. Kris & Teasel

Food?

25. Misterbeesmom

Same food as always.

26. Lisa and Smoky

I think Kris meant did you give him any food? Is so, cld the sudden rise be from that.

27. Kris & Teasel

Lisa's right. I was asking about food at.near that pink test number.

28. Misterbeesmom

Ah sorry. He's a grazer. I dont know. That is to say he,s eating the same as usual, and other days dont have curves like this. He's continuing to rise. This sucks.

29. Misterbeesmom

I've looked back to dec of last year and i'm starting to suspect i'm giving him too high a dose. Lower doses didnt get us quite whee we want to be, but now with reds showing up, comparable to what happened last time around this dose, the reds start showing up. Mabye somogyi i'm not catching?

30. Kris & Teasel

If you mean December 2016, I think you have more yellow on your SS now than you did then. I wouldn't worry about the reds here and there. Squint at your SS and the much larger number of yellows really stands out.

Misterbeesmom and Rachel like this.
  31. Lisa and Smoky

Maybe you could try an experiment since he is a grazer. You could try picking up his food when you are home and see if his BG changes any. I did this with Smoky and it lowered his numbers quite a bit. I just feel him mini meals every 4 hours. I bought an automatic feeder which is a life saver.

Misterbeesmom and Rachel like this.
  32. Misterbeesmom

Well today we went to new vet for a consult. She said i'm doing everything i should be with the exception of scheduled meals. So it'll be test shoot feed for us , and no food in between, to see if any difference. BUT get this, she said he actually doesnt have pancreatitis. Two other docs said he does. She says no, the enzyme is up but there are two other values that are perfectly fine, so she thinks his pancrease is fine. He's never shown any symptoms so that kinda fits.

New xray shows still got lots of poop in him, with gas in between, so we'll be adding fiber with the miralax. So this could have a good bit to do with why he is fidgety and still not very happy. She doesnt think he is in pain, which has been a concern of mine lately.

Did a urine culture to rule out uti.

Thanks everyone for listening to my griping lately.

33. Kris & Teasel

Sounds hopeful, Jen. This visit was worth the effort:) and expense.

34. Misterbeesmom

I just thought of something- for scheduled meals, how long can his meal be? Pull the food an hour afte dosing? Two hrs? This is new to me.

35. Kris & Teasel

How quickly does he eat? Slow grazer? Maybe an hour if he's slow-ish?

36. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So glad to hear that you got some info from the new vet! It sounds like she is really knowledgeable.

Not sure about the timed meals...I never got there. Maybe an hour? Might try googling how to get a cat on timed meals.

37. Misterbeesmom

It depends on hw hungry he is. I'll wing it and see how he does tomorrow.

38. Misterbeesmom

withholding food overnoc might be why we had a decent AMPS, but then i went and blew the shot. dayum do i hate myself when that happens. and when it happens i have NO idea how. i see his skin, i tent, i have my finger on the other side to be sure the needle hasnt gone through. i cant fix it if i dont know what i'm doing wrong. 99% of the time the same approach is successful. so we're going to have a shite day because of my screwup. really pisses me off.

39. Kris & Teasel

Just one shot, Jen. I like his AMPS. We all have our own injection techniques. Mine is to grab some of Teasel's loose, thinner skin on his side somewhere and hold it up into a taut, high tent. I feel for the "tent door" depression and then poke the needle in there on a slight downward angle. I'm holding the tent high the whole time. I use 1/2" needles and my hands barely work but I've been able to shoot successfully this way.

40. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Everyone gives bad shots, Jen, even people who have given them for years. Glad you had a good vet visit. Sounds like poo is his major issue and there are certainly ways to work with that issue. Miralax seems to be one of the most popular.

Kris & Teasel and Misterbeesmom like this.
  41. Misterbeesmom

we're ramping up the miralax by adding fiber as well. today its psyllium husk until i can get to the store to get either metamucil or pumpkin. not sure whats the best fiber.
    thanks.

42. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Let us know how things go with the fiber!

43. Misterbeesmom

My poor boy is in the black tonight at +4
    I'm so sad.
    Is this related to this Morning's FS? I'm trying to understand.
    Today is first day scheduled meals instead of grazing. Amps was decent.
    Red pmps then i had to give him supper right after dosing.
    Often / usually it starts to kick in by now.
    This disease is driving me crazy.

44. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I'd say if the morning was a fur shot, yeah the black is due to that. I know it's frustrating (did I ever tell you about the time I tested, fed, got the shot ready to go...then walked out the door? Just left the syringe on the counter. Did it twice). You'll get him back...fur shots happen. :bighug:

Kris & Teasel and Misterbeesmom like this.
  45. Misterbeesmom

Thanks ok haha thats funny whoopsadaisy
    Rotten amps today too. Drats. He didnt even get up for brekkie , i had to bring it to him.

46. Kris & Teasel

Except for your FS he's been at 4.4 u for many cycles. I'd try 4.6 u for maybe 2 days and go up if there's no action.

47. Misterbeesmom

i'll give that a try thanks kris.
    his appetite was down this morning which scares me. this is new. i hated leaving him but i had to go to work. i hope it was just temporary yuckie tummy due to unusually high bg for him :( i'm so sad today with worry for him.

48. Kris & Teasel

Yes, it wears you down. Keep on keeping on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.