Mr Pou needs ideas on dosing

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MrPou, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

It's not hugely different. I think I would have kept the dose at 1.2 u and aimed for a +2 or +3 test this evening.

MrPou likes this.
  2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just went through this with Maury for last 3 days, not today though. His PMPS was lower than his nadir's. Of course now he's changed that up on me :confused:

MrPou likes this.
  3. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Also keep in mind that test strips can have a variance of up to 20%.

4. MrPou

MrPou Member

I had a 12 hour day at school so I was sent these results by text, and was updating them as I got them. I had prefilled his evening syringe for my helpers. I wanted to give a 1unit keeping in mind he might need less at night and avoid another bouncy day tomorrow.

His +2 is lower than the PMPS and he's VERY hungry. Should I be afraid of a hypo situation? I sound paranoid...I know but it's a first, maybe this is what it's supposed to be like but we're not used to these great numbers! I will try and stay up till +4.

I have an early morning tomorrow and have to leave at +1 and he will be alone untill about +8. I might be able to get someone to test at +4.

5. MrPou

MrPou Member

Really? I didn't know that!

6. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Being nervous as your cat gets into lower numbers is normal. I freaked out when Hermione had her first green (barely) nadir and over-reacted with high-carb food :p

Mr Pou is still well above hypo range and looks to be dropping pretty gently. I wouldn't worry about him, it's likely that he's just lower than he's used to. But you can always give him a little snack of low carb food to be careful, just expect to see a higher PS next time.

The prefilled 1u for his PM dose is just being wisely cautious in my opinion. I'm very conservative with my dosing if I know I won't be around to watch Hermione during a cycle. High numbers kill slowly, low numbers kill quickly :(

7. MrPou

MrPou Member

Thank you! And I had a look at your SS and wow those are some high numbers! It must be difficult to deal with.
    I wish I had more time to spend on this site and read everything and understand more but my time is very limited because of school right now.

8. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

Yeh, Hermione's pretty crazy in her bouncing. She's on a relatively low dose of insulin, but right now I'm afraid to raise it much since she can suddenly dive into blue (or hypo green like she did this morning!). It's a bit of a tightrope we walk with her ;) I just have to remember to be patient and let her numbers settle where they will.

It's tough to have a diabetic cat when you have lots of responsibilities that keep you away from home. But you are trying your best, and that's all any of us can do!

Kris & Teasel and MrPou like this.
  9. MrPou

MrPou Member

High BG this am - I ran a urine test and LOTS of blood in urine, LOTS of Glucose and LOTS of SG......Vet time?

10. MrPou

MrPou Member

No ketones!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

:D

12. MrPou

MrPou Member

13. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Are you seeing blood in the urine or just in the test? How does he seem?

14. MrPou

MrPou Member

No blood seen, urine looks like urine! It's just being detected on the test strip, I'm assuming these are human strips, don't know if it makes a difference.

Also he seems fine but could this be a UTI that is also making his BG higher?

15. Yong & Maury GA

How are Jamie and Mr Pou?

16. MrPou

MrPou Member

We're still playing catch the pipi game, he's an artist at holding it in and peeing as soon as I am busy with something. I need a sample for the vet...I would like to send a sample to 1- rule out UTI and 2- check for crystals (he's had a urinary blockage before)
    His new thing for the last 3 days he has been so hungry that at meal time when he's fed, he eats like a vacuum and then when he moves around too quick and pukes it up.
    And I have pick it up right away or else he tries to EAT it......!!! yuk lol
    So I feed him again. And he eats again. So it's hard to know how much he actually ate.
    This happens more now because he goes longer without food, he seems to be skipping some snacks in the feeder, not on purpose I'm sure!!! There are two floors here and when he is upstairs he doesn't always hear it.

17. Yong & Maury GA

You could try one of those slow feeder bowls so he doesn't inhale it :)

18. MrPou

MrPou Member

Maybe his eating schedule needs a tweak
    He already has a feeder, it has 9 memory settings on it and they are all taken here is his schedule: (he only eats Friskies turkey giblets about 1 tall can a day)

Breakfast I feed between 8-9am (depending on my schedule) he gets 1/4 cup
    10:30 feeder 1/8
    1:00 feeder 1/8
    3:30 feeder 1/8
    5:15 feeder 1/8 - disappears at 6:00pm to not affect PMPS

Dinner at 8:00-9:00 1/4 cup
    I feed him before bed 1/8
    2:00 feeder 1/8
    5:00 feeder 1/8 (he is normally hungry between 4:30-5:00 and disturbing my sleep (I may change this to 4:30 now that I realize it)
    6:00 feeder 1/8 - disappears at 6:45am to not affect AMPS

19. Yong & Maury GA

I meant something like this for meals, dry or wet:
    [​IMG]

MrPou likes this.
  20. MrPou

MrPou Member

I've never seen those! I think I will try and feed him spoons at a time with breaks in between.

ShipsCat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.