Mr Pou's mid-march thread

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by MrPou, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPou

MrPou Member

Hi everyone! We've been a little MIA for the last few days, I had company over and was extremely busy. We're back to normal now and ready to take high BGs by the horns. We really need a remission because I finish school at the end of April and I am moving 6hours away for 3 months... He howls in the car and would do so the entire ride......and I would have to drive him there and back here for September. If he's better, I can leave him here with my mom. But she is unable to care for him with diabetes full time.

I know you cannot force remissions but any ideas on how to give it our darndest shot? I read on another site that 6h shots might help? Anyone ever try this?

Also still no pee has gone to the vet, they only work 4 hours on weekends and don't send out labs, so we shall try again this week. New thing, he has a scab under his jaw, I have no clue where he got it from... Doesn't look like he cares about it.

2. MrPou

MrPou Member

We just got our first blue in a long little while!!! YAY!

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

You can have remission as a goal but kitties have their own ideas about these things. If you had to take him with you you could try a small dose of a sedative maybe?

4. MrPou

MrPou Member

We will try anything for remission, does anyone have any cat hypnotherapy skills lol.... Yes we will have to figure something out.....
    He is having such a great day!!! He's all cuddles and purrs right now, its adorable, he wont let me type!!!

5. MrPou

MrPou Member

WOW...check out the instant bounce! Grrrrrrr..... should I lower dosage for a week and see if he bounces less?

6. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

That does seem like a fast bounce. Any chance it's an error? Every once in awhile, especially if there is too much or too little blood, the meters will just read funny.

7. MrPou

MrPou Member

Maybe I didn't get enough blood I don't know anymore....But I think I needed to add blood at +7 so lets assume he was going back up then (as he usually does) this is still a bounce, should I reduce or keep this or go up? I still don't know when to do what, but when they bounce we shouldn't give more right? He is getting 1.2 AM and 1.0 PM.

8. MrPou

MrPou Member

Can we get insulin pumps for cats???

9. MrPou

MrPou Member

Maybe I fed him to much? He ate at +6 and +7 some friskies turkey giblet (almost a meal of 1/4 cup)

10. Djamila

Gosh, i wish we could!!! wouldn't that just be so nice! Go on vacation, not have to worry about them....

I free feed and that does sometimes make me wonder about the mid-readings. Maybe that's why your kitty hit that high number?

As for dose, I'm not really qualified to give advice on that, but he doesn't seem that low at the mid-cycle to me. I guess it would depend on how bouncy your kitty is? Hopefully one of the experts will chime in before shot time!

MrPou likes this.
  11. Kris & Teasel

That pink could be a fast bounce or just a wonky number. We call them. "Look! A squirrel!" numbers. ;)

Yong & Maury GA and MrPou like this.
  12. MrPou

MrPou Member

We're still squirlling lol

ShipsCat and Kris & Teasel like this.
  13. MrPou

MrPou Member

His numbers seemed better on a lower dose (keep in mind the .8-.9 weren't accurately measured then), I will try a slight decrease this week and re-assess fri-sat-sun (I will be off those days) and I will also do my best to collect urine before hand and maybe solve this mystery.

14. MrPou

MrPou Member

21!!!!! Wowzers. I think I am going to try .8?

15. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Looks like a bounce to me!

16. MrPou

MrPou Member

I got some pee in the middle of the night but my vet's office said 2am pee is no good. I need to bring it within the hour?
    Anyone else know about this kind of stuff?
    But then the last pee test (with the same vet) I was told to put it in the fridge and bring it the next day.

Anyhow, I ran my own test and got :
    negative ketone :smuggrin: YAY!
    highest glucose (++++) (level 6)
    low protein (1(17)) (level 2)
    PH between 5-6 (level 1-2)
    lower blood than last time (3rd level now when he was at level 7 before )
    highest SG (1030)

(I forget the URO, NIT, LEU and BIL) - it was in the middle of the night..... I didn't write this down.

Anyhow take 2 this afternoon or tomorrow am to try and get the urine in ASAP and re-do my own too.

I will be home at about +6 cannot wait to check his BG, he got a .8 last night and this AM. I forgot to update AMPS but was about 17ish. I want to stop the bouncing!!! I will re-name him Mr Tigger if he keeps this up!

17. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

What is it they want the pee sample for?

18. MrPou

MrPou Member

He has a UTI! We we're sold some Clavaseptin 62.5mg - anyone have any intel on this?

19. Kris & Teasel

I've given Teasel Clavaseptin in the past (more than once) for UTIs. He tolerated it fairly well and continued eating, etc. while on it. They were tiny tablets that could be mixed into his food and apparently were flavoured for cats.

20. MrPou

MrPou Member

Thanks, he ate his like it was a treat (with a snack of course). I am so hopeful that we can get back on track after this! Should this affect his BG?

21. Kris & Teasel

I don't think the meds will affect his BG. However, clearing up an infection could so watch him over the next few days. There should be a positive effect on the UTI in about 3 days or so.

ShipsCat and MrPou like this.
  22. MrPou

MrPou Member

Hi everyone!
    We're doing well, finally a yellow PMPS. I am hopeful that this will help us get back on track!
    He thinks the meds are treats so I am relieved I don't have to fight him over taking them.
    I changed his feeder times to have a 4hour gap between his big meal and snacks (2 hours)
    I am adding more water to his food too.

Yong & Maury GA and ShipsCat like this.
  23. MrPou

MrPou Member

Well we're having some explosive litter box visits.....!!! Sounds like a an empty squeezable ketchup bottle!!! Poor guy....good thing I was here, his left paw was covered......yuk!!! His numbers aren't the best either.. Also my dog has a cold and I have wisdom tooth pain.....My gosh! I am taking the rest of the week off to care for us all.

24. Kris & Teasel

Poor you! I suspect it's the antibiotic. How is he feeling otherwise?

25. MrPou

MrPou Member

He's fine... I know its the antibiotic... I just finished 10 days for my tooth and had the same symptoms...In retrospect maybe adding more water to his diet may not be the best idea until he's off the meds!

Kris & Teasel likes this.
  26. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Ugh! Been there with the AB causing some litter box...ummm...shall we say issues? Do you have any forti flora? I think that's a probiotic as well as being just tasty...might help.

27. MrPou

MrPou Member

Wow that looks like a great idea!!! Thanks for the tip, I will look for some!

28. Djamila

Hooray for Fortiflora! It does take a couple of weeks to work, so it's not an immediate fix. I've heard Slippery Elm Bark is a more diarrhea-right-now kind of help. I've never used it, but if you search the forum, there are several threads that talk about it.

You might want to continue with the added water in the food though, since diarrhea can dehydrate kitties quickly. Hope you all feel better soon!

29. MrPou

MrPou Member

Very good point about hydration, hopefully I can catch him every time he goes. I'll put his box in my bedroom at night even though I really don't like that idea, I rather clean him when he goes than clean the carpets floors and furniture! Its like melted peanut butter LOL.... I will give him a couple days to adjust and if not I'll look for slippery elm bark this weekend.

30. Djamila

Oh, the things we do for our kitties! Agreed about not wanting to run around the house cleaning off poop-y footprints! Sending good thoughts for a quick recovery!

31. MrPou

MrPou Member

Thank you!

32. ShipsCat

ShipsCat Member

I'm sorry the antibiotics are giving Mr. Pou a runny bum! Hopefully he, you and your dog feel better soon!

MrPou likes this.
  33. MrPou

MrPou Member

No poo in the night yay just 1 little pee! But high BG this am. I suspect he's bouncing from last night. Reducing to .6 for today to reassess dosage.

Rachel likes this.
  34. MrPou

MrPou Member

Today was a bad BG day! He barely ate his friskies, he had breakfast and didn't eat till I have him chicken and then decided he was hungry when he was in his 2 hours before PMPS... but he is in a good moods and is so cuddly.....Why are they so cute? Lets hope tomorrow is better for him. Good night all!

Rachel likes this.
  35. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hope he feels better!

36. Kris & Teasel

They're cute so we'll look after them come hell or high water! ;)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  37. Djamila

Hope today is a better day!

38. MrPou

MrPou Member

I cannot remember if I shot .6 or .8 doing the conversion this AM..............fuzzy brain....I should have my coffee before shooting! It will be a surprise day for us!

39. MrPou

MrPou Member

MEGA SURPRISE at +3! Should I test hourly?

40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Maybe grab a +4 to see how fast he is dropping and from there you can decide if you need to get another at +5...

41. MrPou

MrPou Member

Just hit the blues! Will test in an hour!....! Happy nervous feeling!

42. MrPou

MrPou Member

Slight increase but still blue (after a few bites of his friskies) Not eating much today!

43. Kris & Teasel

Lovely blues!

MrPou likes this.
  44. MrPou

MrPou Member

Too blue to be trueeeeeeee <3 (last test may be too little blood, it asked for more then it beeped on its own) - he's gone to eat now.

So I am on my last box of 50 strips again, ordering another 200! (We've gone through 350 since jan 7! WOW)

45. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

So nice!!!!

46. MrPou

MrPou Member

And now we're paying for the blues..........!!!!!! How can he jump so quick???

47. MrPou

MrPou Member

I name this day "eating a hidden chocolate bar @ +7 to freak my mom out"

Yong & Maury GA, Djamila and Rachel like this.
  48. Kris & Teasel

That's his pattern - you have quite a few examples of other times where he's jumped from nice blue right up to pink. He's "Quick Draw McGraw"!

Rachel and MrPou like this.
  49. MrPou

MrPou Member

Mr Ping pong quick draw McGraw says good night! Back to half our PMPs at +4.

50. MrPou

MrPou Member

After having a pink day all day and seeing the same numbers over and over again, and giving the look to the glucometre, this morning he showed me a nice YELLOW AMPS! We lowered to .5 last night and this AM, I will test at +3 and +6 (if I can hold back from testing more!)

Also my mom caught him playing with a round LINDT chocolate (it was wrapped) but hilarious I swear he understands us! We hid the chocolate to make sure he doesn't actually eat any or really hide them around the house or give them to the dog.

Happy Sunday all!

51. Djamila

LOL! I'm absolutely certain that they understand us!

Rachel and MrPou like this.
  52. MrPou

MrPou Member

I think he likes the number 17!!!!!! Starting to wonder what's happening!

53. MrPou

MrPou Member

I ran a control test in case my amazon strips were bad but nope 6.8 is within normal range!

54. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

The 17 made me do a double take but then I realized that was Canadian measurement :facepalm:

55. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hahaha me too! I was about to shout "oh my gosh get out the karo, call the vet!"

56. MrPou

MrPou Member

Sorry!!!!! Ok he likes 306!

Djamila likes this.
  57. MrPou

MrPou Member

We just had quite an eventful moment, un-diabetes related.... So I went out shopping after his +4 and my mom was here, I guess he slipped out sometime in the last hour I was gone because she got a +7 and I came back at about +8.5 anyhow... Coming back home, I ALMOST RAN HIM OVER!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My heart stopped!!!! He's not an outside cat, he likes eating grass though so I guess its so nice out he wanted to go find some...... anyhow he's fine other than he smells funny because I splashed him with dirty puddle water... we're cuddling now!

58. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh my!!!! That's terrifying! My heart would have stopped too!

On the bright side, at least you know he feels well enough to be sneaky and get outside for a nice treat !

Djamila and MrPou like this.
  59. MrPou

MrPou Member

Does anyone know if eating grass is HC food??? lol

60. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

I have read that cat grass should not impact kitty's BG, however, be careful with the outside grass, you never know what might be on it. If he likes grass, you could get some cat grass seeds and grow some yourself. I do it for Maury a few times a year. Tried doing it more frequently but then of course, he stopped eating it lol.

And as always, monitor to make sure there are no effects on your kitty :)

MrPou likes this.
  61. Kris & Teasel

OMG! How scary! :eek:

MrPou likes this.
  62. Djamila

Oh my goodness!!! That must have been so scary! Thank goodness you have quick reflexes!

If you're interested in giving him some indoor grass, I grow this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0045122EM/ref=sr_ph_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489971257&sr=sr-1&keywords=cat grass

I have three little pots, and on the weekend I toss one and replant, while the other two keep growing. That way there is always one that is perfect. Both of my kitties love it. Although Samir usually just shoves his face in it and rubs it around - Atticus does more of the actual eating.

63. MrPou

MrPou Member

Here is a Little update, we've had 2 days of some blue and our first red PMPS. Giving .8 another go... any cause for concern with that red?

I brought his urine to the vet Friday (for a recheck on his UTI) and the vet called Saturday afternoon and of course I missed it. I'll update on his results tomorrow.

64. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nah...409 is basically the same as the 382 you saw the night before. It looks bad because it's just over the edge that makes it red, but the 20% variance means those numbers are really no different.

MrPou and Kris & Teasel like this.
  65. Kris & Teasel

I agree - don't worry about the red. The colour coding cut off points are somewhat arbitrary but can still have an emotional effect on us when we see red instead of pink. :)

MrPou likes this.
  66. MrPou

MrPou Member

UTI is gone, still a small amount of bacteria in the sample which could be my own contamination/fault.

We are Giving .8 a real try for 3 full weeks. My vet wants me to give him consistency and stop changing everything around. Let's try it! Exams are around the corner for me and I need to focus on that. I will check in periodically and keep the SS updated.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  67. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Free catch can also have a small amount of bacteria in it. That's why they always want to do a cystocentesis for culture and sensitivity. Could be that's why bacteria showed up.

I don't know about giving that a try for 3 whole weeks. If a cat sits in higher numbers for awhile, glucose toxicity can start to occur, making it harder to get them lower. Just keep that in mind, as you may want to end up changing it earlier...

Good luck on exams!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.