Mr Tinkles 6/16

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Laurie and Mr Tinkles, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Tinkles had a high PMPS last night (513) so I gave him the normal 2.1u and went to bed. I really needed the sleep, slept through the alarm at +6!

+8 193
    +10 140
    +12 144 fed meal
    +12.5 172 shot 2.1u

+2 185 He was starving! Fed snack.
    +3 197

I'm starting to wonder if Mr. P is starting to get on board...from the late drop last night, and not much rise after breakfast. Maybe I should try not shooting at all if he is in the same boat tonight? Opinions?

2. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice #s!!!! That drop after +8 does make you wonder, doesn't it? One thing you can do is a food test - instead of the shot, feed, then test maybe a couple hours later and see if he has brought the # down on his own. The #s and dose are still high enough though that I would be surprised if he is ready to go it alone (though not surprised if Mr. P. is pitching in some). It looks to me from those high PSs like there may still be some liver-training in the works (or a little bouncy-ness from that monster drop from reds to greens!!!). Given that, I'd be hesitant to skip a shot or delay it too long, & risk losing progress. I might consider backing the dose down to 2u based on getting another PS too low to shoot this morning. (YAY!!!) If his liver is getting trained and Mr. P is waking up, you might see quick dose reductions from here (paws crossed!).

3. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

GREAT NUMBERS!!! Kind of wondering why PM number went up so much last night? I know you had mentioned that he had some FF, but bg 513 confused_cat If it were me - I'd hold off with the mid day feeding and see what his true bg is at +7 & +8. I dunno? he could of been dropping fast yesterday but the 2oz SK kept him around 85?

Looks like going to 2 units may be your next step. :D

4. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I'd agree with Michelle on this one. Maybe move back just a teensy bit on the dose and see how he does. I know with Ari, Mr. P will kick in then kind of sputter out and need help, but then kick back in. Makes for some real variable dosing, but it's all for a good reason!

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

+6 96

Michelle, I know, the high PS #s yesterday are troubling. The only thing I can think of that may have something to do with it is his URI symptoms were a little worse yesterday. He has a chronic weepy eye, sneezing thing, it never goes away. I have him on l-lysine BID, and that seems to keep it from turning into an infection and keeps the symptoms to a minimum. I have noticed that sometimes his PS # zooms higher on days when he is more symptomatic.

I will hold off on the mid-day snack, see how that affects his nadir. He'll complain loudly, but he'll survive! :mrgreen:

Joanna, thanks for the suggestion to feed, wait a couple of hours and test, then shoot....I agree that he can't be ready to go it alone, but wasn't sure how to proceed if his pancreas is starting to function. I don't want to lose progress, for sure! But I want to support Mr. P functioning too. I feel like I just start to figure out what to do, and then it changes! Thank goodness for the support here, I would be lost without it.

Hope, I'll go with the dose reduction all three of you recommended. Thanks everyone! The help is much appreciated! :smile:

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Ok, I skipped the mid-day snack, don't see where it made any difference...other than having a very hungry, very testy cat at +10! He was very upset with me when I wouldn't fork over the entire container of treats! cat(2)_steam I did miss the +7 test, but +6 96 and +8 97.

He's at 154 at +10, so I don't think we'll have a no shoot # at PMPS. I'm going to stay with the 2.1u dose for tonight. In fact, I think I may have to feed and shoot early to avoid being eaten by Mr Tinkles! nailbite_smile

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Laurie have you considered a dose scale...when his #'s are lower shoot according to the #.
    it would help avoid rebound, possible hypo, etc..
    we used to use them all the time but i don't see it much now.
    a scale for example (this would'nt be yours necessarily

120-180 .5U
    180-240 1U
    240-300 2U

Just a thought.

8. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Yes, I have considered a dose scale. Unfortunately, there really isn't any guidance anywhere that I can find on how to set the scale. The other issue I have with Tinkles is that his numbers are really not consistent enough to be able to tell if a scale is working for him. If you look at his SS, you'll see that he throws wacky numbers out of nowhere sometimes. That's why I went to a strict rule of starting a dose and sticking with it for 5 days minimum before evaluating if it was working for him. The 2-3 days isn't enough with him, he takes longer to settle in. That's why I am reluctant to change his dose. He has only been on it for 3 days, and I don't see any serious reason to change it. He isn't in rebound, he isn't going hypo, he hasn't even been close to too low. His numbers are good, his nadir is at +7, and has been consistent on this dose. This is the best he has EVER done, on any dose. Maybe I need to cut back to 2.0u soon, but after today's #s, I'm rethinking doing it now. As far as having an unshootable # at +12, well, that's something that I can work around. Tonight, I had a shootable # at +10.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

nice #'s laurie, the thing with the sliding scale is that at some point you will see a # even at +14 that is shootable but dangerous to stick to current dose. your doing better and better, the sliding scale just allows you to shoot a lower # without overdosing. as you get nicer and nicer #'s it would'nt really be appropriate to shoot 2U's into let's say a 170, especially if he's been surfing the greens all day...
    how long has mr. been on insulin?s
    congrats on the nice #'s :D

10. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

The sliding scale might work for you especially if you're starting a reduction. IMHO, feed the cat! If he's hungry and it makes him antsy when you don't, then he could drive his own BG's up out of sheer stubborn catness.

We found shooting on the sliding scale as a rule didn't work so well, but worked nicely when starting to reduce the dose. So that way we could shoot at +12 a lower amount instead of waiting until +14.

11. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Lori, I understand what you mean about reducing at some point, I just really felt that it would be better to stick to the dose for at least one more cycle. As it turned out, he got low enough last night for it to be a clear indication of a need for the dose reduction. I'm happy I held out for one more cycle, and reduced today. I think it was perfect timing.

Tinkles has been on insulin since 4/27/10. I was fortunate enough to find the FDMB right away, and started testing 2 days later. My SS shows all of my testing from the beginning.

Hope, I agree...the sliding scale didn't work for us when we were trying to get regulated (increasing dose). I know I will have to reduce the dose from this point forward, I just want to do it in a way that doesn't halt forward progress. And yes, feed the cat, he isn't one that does well with being hungry!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Laurie whatever your doing your judgement seems to be working well, I just thought I'd throw that out there. You know the 2 scariest times of FD? When your just starting out and then when your cat starts going into remission!

13. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Thanks Lori, I appreciate that. :smile:

I know this part is scarier for me than the diagnosis was, but it's also exciting to see he is moving toward (hopefully) remission. I made so many mistakes in the beginning, but they weren't mistakes that were risky, and they helped me figure out how the insulin worked. The mistakes now are much riskier, so I want to avoid them as much as I can. Everyone's help is very much appreciated, I do listen to what everyone says! You were the one who told me not to increase the dose too frequently, to wait 5 days, and you were right about that! I would have never gotten anywhere if I kept changing the dose every couple of days...so thank you for that, it was a crucial piece of advice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.