Mr Tinkles 6/17

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Laurie and Mr Tinkles, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Tinkles got low last night, but he was feeling better than ever this morning...playing! He is the type of cat that doesn't play often, so that is an excellent sign! At +12 he was too low to shoot, so I fed and tested every half hour. I should have shot at +13.5, but wanted to see how much more he would rise.

+12 110
    +12.5 134
    +13 207
    +13.5 213
    +14 269 shot fat 2.0u

Now he needs the dose decrease, he must have gotten below 50 last night. I wish I had gotten another #, +7 or +8. What my gut has been telling me is what I found on Hillary's thread in LL, post by Monique & Spooky.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17400#p172311

Basically, keep dose steady for several days to settle in, PS #s gradually decreasing indicates you're on the right track but don't decrease too soon, and when you do, make small adjustments. Adjust based on PS and nadir values but avoid frequent or radical dose changes. This all fits with my experience. If nothing else, following this will give us all more data about ProZinc.

2. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Great numbers! Mr. T is doing awesome and so are you! :D Sorry I wasn't around yesterday.. had my own health issues to deal with ohmygod_smile I am always thinking of you guys! Will check back later.

3. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Just checking in on you guys. I would get +6 tonight. Looks like Tinlkes is making progress. :D

4. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

What a day! I had to go out for several hours after shooting this morning, and was on my way home to test at +6 when my car broke down! ohmygod_smile Fortunately, I got it going again, but I was worrying about Tinkles the whole time, and I couldn't get home until +8 to test. Whew, what a relief that he was fine, and a nice green number for +8 86. He was hungry, his snack was late, but all is good now!

Hi Michelle! I'm sorry about your health issues, hope you are ok! Thanks for thinking of us. I will get at least one test in overnight. I'm planning on shooting 2.0u (or a skinny 2.0u) tonight, and stick to a fat 2.0u in the AM...thinking the slightly lower dose at night might be just the ticket for Tinkles. Thanks for that idea! I know it was a few days ago but I didn't forget, just thought about it for a while. Since I"m decreasing dose anyway, I'm going to give it a try.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Looking pretty good! I took those wonky high PSs a couple days ago to be liver training, so if that is settling down, it makes sense your dose would start coming down some. Sounds like you have a handle on things, so sit back and enjoy those good #s!!!! When Bix was on dose reduction it went pretty fast - about 0.1 to 0.2 reduction every day - a couple days then he'd drift up into yellows and I'd have to increase back up a tad for a cycle or two, but then the next day would be back to the reductions. Paws crossed for more pretty blues & greens!!!

BTW, the comment about settling in of the dose to me applies mostly to dose increases (so you don't increase too fast before overlap has had a chance to build up), but less so with dose reductions, at least depending on what #s you see. If you get low nadirs I would decrease immediately - I like the saying I saw somewhere that you don't increase the dose based on one high PS, but you do decrease based on one low. ECID though.

I know some of the stuff I saw in the LL thread was flat out wrong for PZI (don't recall which posters, so may not relate to what you quoted). That whole thread made me a little nervous - some of the info was great, and some was IMO dangerous advice. What you paraphrased sounds about right to me, but just wanted to mention that in case anyone is reading the LL stuff and taking it as necessarily correct for PZI.

6. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Joanna, thanks for the info about how you did the dose reductions. That's what I was just starting to wonder about, how often he will need dose reduction. About settling in applying more so to increases, yes, I agree. A low nadir (like Tinkles last night) is a clear indication of the need for dose reduction. I was just waiting for that clear indication.

That one post on that thread in LL really jumped out at me, it hit the nail on the head as far as my own experience so far with ProZinc. The other posts, I didn't read as closely. I'm glad you pointed out that there is some not so accurate info there. BTW, I didn't paraphrase it entirely accurately, so it is worth reading the actual post!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes, if you think about it you only need a dose to settle when your building a regulation, once kitty starts coming down it just doesn't make sense to let it settle. you must shoot based on amps or pmps....one difference between lantus and pzi, they shoot based on nadir.
    2 u is a high dose for a number in the blues.....

8. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

I plan on doing small decreases based on how low the nadir got. In other words, stay at the dose until the nadir gets low, then step down a little. I don't think changing the dose based on ps # works with PZ...JMHO. I guess we'll see, that's how I plan to do it.

I know 2.0u is a high dose for #s in the blue, but it's working for Tinkles (ECID).

9. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

This was the way it ended up working for us as well. When we found a dose that worked, we stayed with it until the nadir showed that it was too high/too low and then adjusted. If 2 units is what keeps your boy in the blues most of the time and he's not hitting low greens, then 2 units is the right dose for him. The lowest you've seen on the 2 so far is upper 80's, low 90's and that's spot on. If you start seeing the nadir progressively lowering, then I would start lowering the dose. You're getting a good amount of testing in, so you're definitely not shooting blind. FWIW, I think you're on the right track right now. I'm cheering for you guys!

ETA - We had the same experience as Joanna with dose reductions. When it happened, it happened quickly but we made the dose changes slowly. .1 unit at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.