Mr Truffles

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Anne Biddle, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

so Truffles is now 16 days without insulin and I’m trying to tackle the raised bg in the am. I give him a snack early am and then 2-3 hours later I have tested and feed. Then his levels continue to drop throughout the day and after his mid afternoon food. I’m waiting for the freeze dried food to arrive as I think Truffles needs to snack during the night to keep his levels low. I did some research and the raised bg in the am does seem fairly common in some cats. I know his am readings are quite high but they drop drastically with even .25u so I’m just aiming to keep him off insulin for now and try the feeding. He’s a v happy cat, not thirsty, using his litter box, his coat is white and soft and he is a good weight.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Hi Anne, just reading your post and remembering our adventure with Idjit going into remission. We didn't follow advice and reduce to 0.25 BID, and then downward to 0.01 and then drops. I wish I had now, because I am not certain his remission is strong and going to hold for long. We had trouble finding 1/2 unit syringes, the vet was giving conflicting instructions and then I listened to someone else who just said stop insulin, so I did. I know it comforts you that Truffles is feeling and looking better, and that the 0.25 might be too much, but what about trying a drop, or two, as the AM numbers are still too high. I am no expert by any means, but I have read so many posts/threads now in the last few months, and it just seems to me to be a good move to support with even a tiny bit of insulin as long as needed to make sure the remission is strong and holds. I watch Idjit very closely for any diabetes signs, and clench with every test until I see the result. Maybe float this idea with the experts and see what they say?

Anne Biddle likes this.
  3. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I’m going to try the food option first as it seems to work. He appears to need food often to keep it in check. He reacted so strongly to the .25 I just don’t want to risk it right now. His numbers drop significantly once he’s eaten

4. Idjit's mom

I absolutely wish you and Truffles the best. Please keep us posted and let us know how things are going.

5. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

I definitely will and if i see his numbers not dropping during the day then I will have to rethink. The hypo scared the whatnot out of me so I’m probably being over cautious. I hold my breathe every test!! Thank you for your advice it is truly appreciated.

6. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

So I took your advice and started back with .25u again as I didn’t like his numbers. He also has runny poo and I know his skin is irritating him slightly. Would these things cause a rise in bg?

Becky & Baby Girl GA likes this.
  7. beggargirl

beggargirl Member

Are you sure you are measuring the .25 on the needle correctly and aren't actually giving him 2.5 u?

Just asking since you say you get a big response.

My first diabetic cat used to drop low with tiny amounts of insulin (and went into remission in a month), so I'm not doubting it's possible, but I have also made the error of reading a needle wrong and giving the wrong dose.

8. Anne Biddle

Anne Biddle Member

No I’ve been doing this a while with 1/2 unit syringe. His top dose was only 2.5u and has decreased gradually.

9. Idjit's mom

Anne, sorry I didn't answer sooner. I am no expert, and I would like to tag in some members that actually know what they are talking about re: dosing, because I am as concerned as you are about Truffles. @Kris & Teasel , @Wendy&Neko , @Chris & China
    it may be that Truffles doesn't need the 0.25 dose, but a lesser amount. I know you are concerned about hypos, they scare the britches off me also and nobody wants that to happen.

10. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

The two numbers you have today indicate that 0.25 u isn't too high a dose. I'd stay with that tonight and tomorrow to see how he does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.