Mtehyl B-12 for Mr Barney?? +6 (33)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mr Barney, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Mr barney diagnosed 3 yrs ago,,, Lantus 1 unit 2x a day,,, current number +6- (33) a bit low but he does fine... gets the shakes sometimes in his legs was wondering about methyl B-12 how much etc..found a brand with folic acid wasnt sure about that as well

2. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

if Barney is getting the shakes, it is probably because his numbers are too low, not because of neuropathy. This number is pretty low, Barney needs a dose reduction. Do you have a spreadsheet, or can you write Barney's numbers in a post here?

3. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Hi Mr. B gets the shakes at various times.. not just when he is low..the number today was a bit lower than normal because I am working his weight down.. that was with a small reduction.. I have tried to reduce in the past and he can zoom back up so I have to take it slowly and unfortuneately he prints these numbers ... I can tell when he is to low based on his behavior he always asks for food..He is not at risk here has always printed low at times...

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

That number, 33, is too low, and I don't think it's a safe number. I don't understand 'prints numbers'; do you mean his test results?
    What is the connection to such a low BG number and a weight loss plan? I am positive that you can work at a weight loss without putting Mr.B in danger with low BG numbers.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=147
    List of Hypo symptoms

You will see the mention of shivering and also wobbly appearance in the above list, both signs of Hypo which should be avoided.

Without knowing any of Mr. B's daily BG numbers, dose and type of insulin, feeding schedule and type of food, and general info, not much can be said.

5. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Mr Barney does not always shake at his low numbers say (35-45).. The shakes occur at various time during the day and night.. Mr Barney has always handled low numbers fine I watch him very carefully(Hr, Pulse, Resp.).. any reduction even the slightest from say a fat 1U to a regular 1U causes his PreShot numbers to go from around 125-135 to over 200.. He is just very sensitive to the slightest change in dose... As far as the weight loss I always thought that when you reduced caloric intake you would have to adjust with a bit less insulin.. That makes a cat like Mr Barney tough at times, that number +6(33) was actually after a reduction from a Fat 1U to a regular 1U and a calorie reduction from 190 to 175 as an effort to get his weight down over the past few days....Was just questioning the dose of the MethylB-12 and the folic acid with the vitamin is Folic generally included with the Methyl B-12 or is there a prefered brand that only has Methyl B-12 as an ingredient?

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Actually, it's not necessary to adjust insulin based on calories unless that's what your BG testing tells you. There may be other ways to deal with food such as small meals throughout the day to keep metabolism stoked. Several kitties here need to lose weight. Maybe over time insulin needs will change but I wouldn't just reduce insulin because you've started your cat on a diet unless the numbers are telling you a reduction is needed.

If the shaking is not correlated with low BG, I would make a video and bring it and/or send it to your vet. This could be a neurological issue and having a video will insure that your vet will see what you are describing vs. hoping that Mr. Barney will demonstrate when you are at the vet's office. You could also post it on the Health board. It's very hard to know what this could be. Neuropathy usually involves walking on the hocks vs. toes and weakness when it comes to jumping. Many kitties here have issues with neuropathy and I don't believe I've seen anyone mention shaking.

7. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Thanks very helpful its not neuropathy then , he has no problems at all like that,,,His +5 number today was (53) so I will see in a few days weather the slight reduction will cause a number spike or not... I use a pair of magnifying glasses to look at the needle so I get the right dose is tough with him he is very sensitive to the slightest dose... Thank you for your input

8. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

You need to listen to what was said here--Your cat would get a automatic dose reduction, if you were a regular here..To 0.75U with that 33 you had...Neuropathy first shows signs by cat walking on it's hocks(elbows , but not on toes. Sits down a lot after walking a few steps, inability to jump up to old places!--I use glasses AND a magifying glass to see Moonie;s dose..Hope Barney is OK!

9. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Thanks,, Was a regular here a couple years ago,, Mr B has had dose reductions before to no avail the slightest drop in insulin .125-.25 and his numbers print in the 250-300 range then it takes me 1-2 weeks to get him back on track with his old dose... am trying this approach never tried with him a little less food, a little less weight, a little less insulin ... has worked so far but only 4 days now... well see .. He is a bit heavy 14.2 lbs could lose 1-1.25 lbs anyway

10. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Hi there! I have to agree with the others that a 33 is a bit on the low side for a kitty that is getting insulin and it certainly means a dose decrease, but by what I am reading in your responses, that is not going to happen, so I can only suggest that you keep those two good eyes on Mr. Barney for signs of hypo!
    Out of couriosity, what type of food are you feeding Mr. B? My kitties used to get wet food 2x day w/dry kibble for free feeding. When Spot was dx'd the kibble was d/c (except for civvie Ali, which is another story), and the lower carb wet food was fed. My civvie Ralph was overweight...19 lbs of pure kitty. After the diet change, he dropped to 16 lbs. He gets 1/2 can Sophistacat in the a.m. and p.m. and for his evening snack he gets a small handfull of kibble (under my watchful eye so that Mr. Spot doesn't get any). He also gets some fishy flakes in between. He has maintained his weight. So, maybe just a change in food would help with the weight loss.

11. Mr Barney

Mr Barney Member

Hi thanks for your concern,,Mr B did get a dose decrease 4 dyas a go from a fat 1U 2x a day to a reg 1U 2x a day..well see how it plays out.. tough to keep the dose consistant when you are dealing in slivers... He was on FF tender beef feast 1/2 can 4x a day or 1/4 can 8x a day depending on my schedule and his hunger total cal/190 .. now he is on NV beef medalions(1 2x day) and FF/Tender beef(1/2 can 2x a day) as a combo. total cal/170...

Have tried reductions in the past many times his numbers spike and it takes time to get them under contol always back to the same dose..

I am hoping this strategy will work better and be more gradual for him .. eventually hoping his dose goes down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.