Mullet could use some vines

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carl & Polly & Bob (GA), Jul 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,
    I rarely post about my two kitties, just because they rarely have issues. Bob's been sugarfree for two years, and Mullet is just a 16 year old orinch grouchy old man.
    He's had a couple problems this past year. One was his less than excellent adventure with devouring some dark chocolate chunks, which caused a two day poo explosion but no long term effects. And then before that it was a broken tooth that wore a hole in his tongue that caused him to not eat for a couple of days, then he feasted on baby food and yogurt for a few days. Since then he's been okay.

I've suspected hyper-T for some time, and I should have dealt with it. But life happened, and he didn't seem so bad off and time flies.

Well, lately, I'm 99% sure that Hyper-T is his reality. All the classic symptoms are in place. And tomorrow, the vet will verify it when I bring him in. But the immediate problem is that he isn't eating. Since Friday, I've had to force him to eat. Baby food meats mostly, but not nearly enough per day. He's miserable. I'm pretty sure it's teeth trouble again. You can tell if he tries to chew, it hurts, so he'll take a couple of nibbles, then walk away from the dish. So I've been mashing up his food, making it soupy. He looks at me like "you want me to eat it NOW? What the hell IS IT???" So I tried pureed chicken breast, pureed human tuna, baby food, etc. Still barely eating.
    Tonight was a disaster. I had to syringe feed him. I had to scruff him to even get the syringe in his mouth, and I ended up wearing more food than he swallowed. He is the worst patient in the cat world. It takes three people to clip his nails at the vet (only two if we do it at home). He is impossible to pill. Even liquid meds in a syringe are next to impossible to do solo. It's pretty bad when you have to ask your ex-wife to stop by the house on the way off work to help you clip nails or medicate a cat, but luckily she and I and Mullet have a 16 year history and lots of experience with wild and domestic animals.

At this moment, my biggest concern is whatever is making him reluctant to eat. He's hungry but is eating about a fourth of what he needs to eat, and then only with coaxing 10 times day and night. I've already spoken to the vet and he's going in tomorrow afternoon, and spending the night there because I'm working all night tomorrow. They know he'll need to be sedated in order to even look in his mouth. They are also going to do a blood draw and test for Hyper T. And I'll get them to trim his nails while they're at it. ;-) My hope really is that they find a bad tooth or two and can fix his immediate problem.

And the Hyper T diagnosis, I'll just deal with. I've looked at my options and if he's a candidate for it, I'm going with the radio-iodine treatment. Like I said, he can't be pilled once or twice a day for the rest of his life. And I'm guessing that surgery isn't a good option given his age and overall condition. There are 3 clinics in SC where he can have the radioactive treatment done. And I've looked at "Credit Care" to see if I can qualify, because I don't have a thousand bucks in my back pocket at the moment. I'll figure that crap out though.

I just wanted to ask for some vetty/healing/ouchie vines for my little old man. I've seen the power of "the board" on countless occasions. Miracles happen here. Mullet just needs a teeny one.

Thanks, I love you guys.
    Carl, Bob and Mullet

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

I'm sending Mullet some huge vines and prayers that it is just a tooth and can be fixed. Please post as soon as you know what the vet says or finds in his mouth.

3. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Sending lots and lots of vines and prayers. Hope the vetty appt goes well and that you find out why hes not eating and its able to be fixed right away.

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Oh, (((Carl))),

Sending positive healing vines to Mullet, and a sincere wish that anything Mullet needs treatment for goes as smoothly as possible.
    May he be restored to full health again very soon!

Eliz x

5. TokyoKitty

TokyoKitty Member

Sending lots of healing vines to dear Mullet.

[​IMG]

Sammy had iodine treatment for hyper-T when she was 14 years old. She was in pretty bad shape before the treatment and we weren't too optimistic, but 2 months later she was strong and healthy again. It can be a miracle treatment. Wishing all the best for Mullet too.

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending nice strong healing vines to Mullet. I hope the vet finds out what's wrong and can fix him up, so he feels and eats much better. :YMHUG:

7. terriy

terriy Member

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers :YMHUG:

8. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Carl....

Here are mega healing vines & lots of hugs from me, Rumpelteazer, and all my civies.

Get well soon sweet Mullet.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

9. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Maui had the I131 treatment several years ago (before diabetes diagnosis). It was the best thing for her as the pills dropped her WBC to almost 0. Of course after all these years and looking at her records, she was borderline hyper T and may not have needed any treatment at all.

Send good vines for Mullet and all goes well at the vetty.

If he isn't eating, ask the vet for an appetite stimulant that you can give - ask for injection form, since you can't give orally.

10. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Sending you and Mullet healing vines and hugs. Even the most snarly cat becomes defenseless in illness.
    Praying for healing and peace for you both.

Robin cat_pet_icon

11. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Sending lots of healing vines and eat your fuds! vines and feel better vines to Mullet.

I gave one of my civies the methimazole transdermally. Rubbed into the inside of her ear twice a day. Not sure if your "orinch grouchy old man" Mullet would let you do that though.

HyperT can cause heart issues so watch out for that too.

12. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

My hyperthyroid Emmy would eat the pill dissolved in a bit of food. We did that for 5 years until the dose got high enough to give her diarrhea, then we did I-131 treatment.

Short term, if he'll do it, putting it in a bit a tasty food may work until you can schedule the I-131 at a convenient time.

He may need a dental first, as they do not want to handle the cats for the first several days post I-131, and giving an antibiotic or pain meds for his mouth could be problematic.

I-131 treatment may unmask renal disease, so be on the lookout for excessive thirst and dilute urination. These can alter the electrolyte balances and result in serious complications.

13. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Papaya and I will be hoping for the best for Mullet!(And for you, that you don't lose any fingers or eyes or anything trying to feed this grouchy patient!)

14. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

((hugs)) to you both.

I always thought if any of my cats go hyper T then I would do the radioactive iodine too.. long term it has to be cheaper than meds, repeat vet visits for blood work, gas back and forth from vet - and dont forget vet stress. Although the ear cream might work as a possible second option. Or as a third option you can compound the tapazole into a flavoured liquid and put it in /on top of some favourite treat.

I assume Mullet doesnt do pill pockets either?

See if you can get some buprenorphine while you are there ( pain med) , that will help post dental and its always useful to have some in stock at home in case of emergencies.

You probably know this but here is a big list of enticing cat to eat tricks (scroll down page): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NSWUx2ak7wcs2_G5TXr7BhPMrU7CVmW_3ouKPTUQhhA/pub

Wendy

15. donaleen and Ozy

donaleen and Ozy Well-Known Member

Oh, Carl, I am so sorry. Sending vines to YOU.

16. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Sending purrs and prayers. The problem with the radioactive iodine treatment is that he is not eating and the facility will not syringe feed him during treatment.

17. Thank you all for the vines, prayers, and words of encouragement.

Wendy, Mullet likes pill pockets. But he always manages to spit out the "seed". I've looked at the cost of pills or the cream and the tests he'd need going forward. Over two years the i131 treatment would be cheaper, and should fix the problem with the least amount of impact or stress on Mullet. My gut tells me he wouldn't survive the surgery option.

Larry, understood. I know he needs the eating problem fixed first. I need to find out if he can have a dental and can survive the anesthesia required. And find out if he's even a candidate for the i131 and when he could be scheduled for that. I know that trip will be fun. The closest place is a three hour car ride, and he'll need to be sedated for that. Or I will need to be. He's not a great traveling companion.

I'll update tonight after I talk to the vet in a couple hours, and after I get off work.

Thank you all

18. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Adding my prayers ...
    Good luck and God bless,
    jeanne

19. I really don't have it in me right now to post...

I just wanted you all to know that I was able to hold my sweet orinch grumpy old man as he crossed the bridge an hour ago. I can't help but feel that in someway, I failed him. A piece of my heart has been ripped out. But I made damned sure that he was at peace and I was able to sing to him as he crossed.

I'll try to post later...

Bless each any every one of you. And hug your kitters extra tight tonight.

Carl, Bob and Mullet (GA)

brought to you by the worst two letters in the alphabet. damn.

20. MaryB & Chester

MaryB & Chester Member

So, so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to be with him.

21. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sorry.

My deepest sympathies Carl -

Jane

22. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

{{{Oh Carl}}}

Requiem aeternum, Mullet.

23. macal

macal Member

I am so sorry. rb_icon

24. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

oh no i am so sorry Carl.. ((hugs))

Wendy

25. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((((Carl))))))))) and((((( Bob )))))) too.
    I'm so sorry. Many hugs for the days and nights ahead.
    It's such a difficult gift that we are able to give them.
    I feel for you and dread that day.
    Fly Free Mullet.
    [​IMG]

26. KarensPoe

KarensPoe Member

((((((Carl)))))))

Ohhhh....every time I hear of a kitty crossing the bridge, I can't help the tears from flowing. I cry for the bean because we all know that pain. Mullet is whole and healthy again, running free, and bathing in sunbeams, and here we are...grateful that their suffering is over, but left with that gaping hole.

Sending you many prayers of peace and comfort.

Fly free sweet Mullet...spread your wings and soar.

wings_cat

27. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

...land softly sweet orinch boy....

...Carl, I'm so so sorry....BIG HUGE LOOOOOOONG HUG, I can't type thru the tears right now...

28. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We are so very sorry to read of Mullet's passing to the rainbow bridge. I cannot imagine that you could ever fail any lucky cat in your care. I'm sure Mullet appreciated all you did and loved you very very much. We so appreciate all you do in FDMB and are sending hugs as you grieve the passing of Mullet.

Attached Files:

29. donaleen and Ozy

Oh, Carl, I am so very sorry. Go easy on yourself. He has been released. You are the one in pain now.

donaleen

30. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

My sympathies

(((((Carl))))) I am so very sorry for your loss. May Mullet land softly back into that Mullet-shaped hole in your broken heart. Fly free, dear boy. wings_cat

31. terriy

terriy Member

Carl,
    My heart goes out to you. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. rb_icon

32. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Bob. you did not fail Mullet. Yu did what was right. Sending purrs and prayers.

33. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

((((Carl)))) I'm very sorry about Mullet. It is so sad that he had to leave you. We are never ready to say goodbye and it hurts so much when we do. You were the best daddy for Mullet and he knows that. Holding him in your arms was a wonderful gift of love. I'm glad you had that touching moment together.

Fly high and free, Mullet.

34. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Oh, Carl! I'm so sorry for the loss of your Mullet. :cry: Hugs to you and scritches for Bob. rb_icon

35. MelissaEbby

MelissaEbby Member

Carl, I am so sorry to hear this. Mullet was so very lucky to have you, and in no way did you fail him. I'll be thinking of you during this difficult time.

36. Maggies Mom Debby

Maggies Mom Debby Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Mullet. Please do not think you failed him in any way. That "grumpy old man" knew you loved him. Go easy on yourself...it's what he would want.

37. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

Carl . . . my deepest sympathies for your loss. From all your posts, it's clear that you put the greatest effort into caring for your kitties, so letting him pass peacefully was what you needed to do to care for him now. I'm so sorry.

38. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

(((((Bob))))) I am so sorry. You did not fail Mullet. He had a great life with you, every cat should be so lucky.
    Liz

39. terri1962

terri1962 Well-Known Member

Oh Carl,

I am so sorry to hear Mullet has crossed the bridge.

Terri

40. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

OMG, just got home back on and couldn't believe the rainbow over Mullet's name and thought you had made a mistake......I am shocked as I'm sure everyone is. Carl, I hope you know how many people are sending you hugs and sympathy.......just so hard to believe this. Please, when you are up to it, please let us know what happened. My deepest, most sincere, and heartfelt sympathy on the loss of your beloved Mullet. I'm glad you were able to be there with him. My heart truly goes out to you and to Bob. Maybe Mullet and Bob were not best friends, but Bob too will miss Mullet rb_icon wings_cat

41. TokyoKitty

TokyoKitty Member

Carl, I am so sorry for your loss. We love them so much and it hurts so bad when they leave us... Mullet knows you loved him and did everything you could for him. You and Bob are in my thoughts and prayers.

Attached Files:

42. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm sorry (((((((((((Carl)))))))))))) I wish I could give you a real hug.

This makes me so sad, but I know you are hurting way way worse. Bless you, and I will pray for you.

Mullet is happy, and he's at The Bridge, waiting for you to join him one day. Okay, big breath.

Carl, I will light a candle for Mullet tonight to help him find his way. Big Tears.

Fly Free Beautiful Mullet.

43. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Carl))), I am so very sorry.
    Sending many, many hugs your way.
    Fly free, sweet Mullet.
    rb_icon

44. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry. Sending prayers to you. Fly free sweet Mullet.

45. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

{{{{{{{{{{Carl}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry to hear that it was Mullet's time to cross to the Rainbow Bridge. All my sympathies are with you.

I picture Mullet, up there at the bridge, with his face in a bowl of fresh caught shrimp, just for him.

Fly free Mullet. wings_cat You will be sorely missed.

A ring of candles in honor of Mullet's 16 years and all those memories you have of him.

Attached Files:

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Carl, I am so, so sorry to hear about your sweet grouchy Mullet. You know all things we can say - that he was so lucky to live a love-filled life and that no one could have cared more or better for him. But that won't heal the hole in your heart tonight. Just know we understand you have lost a member of your family and that we are sad for you and crying with you.

Sue

47. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Carl,

I am so very sorry. There are no words that will take away the pain you are feeling. Please try to be gentle with yourself.

Fly free sweet Mullet, you are much loved and will be sorely missed.

48. bookw0rm

bookw0rm Well-Known Member

:YMHUG:

49. mtncat58

mtncat58 Well-Known Member

Oh Carl I'm still in shock, Just wow, there are no words to express what you must be feeling right now, I had to go back and read thought I had read it wrong I was sending you out healing vines for Mullet for his vet appt then saw the rainbow :sad: You have been there for all of us we will be here for you, your a great dad you did nothing wrong. healing vives and big (((Hugs)))
    Linda

50. misty1477

misty1477 Well-Known Member

Oh no...I am so sorry about Mullet. He is at the Rainbow Bridge and at peace telling everyone there what a wonderful life his bean gave him.

Land softly at the bridge sweet Mullet.

Paw-Hugs and prayers from me an RumpelT. :YMHUG:

51. Barb & Mr. Frog

Barb & Mr. Frog Member

I'm so sorry to hear this, I wish there were words :(

/HUGS

52. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

WTH!! in my quiet voice I say
    i am so, so very sorry Carl. believe it or not, words escape me at this time. hugs.
    fly free Mullet. know you will always be in your daddys heart and thoughts

53. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Oh no. I am so sad to read this. I am very sorry Carl. *hugs* Fly free Mullet.

I am sending you lots of prayers for comfort.

54. Liz4Paws

Liz4Paws Member

Carl, I am so SO incredibly sorry to hear about Mullet. My heart just aches for you. Nadia and I are sending you lots of hugs right now, and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

55. Lkldcatlady

Lkldcatlady Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Carl. We'll be praying for you and Bob.

56. Charlotte and Indy (GA)

Charlotte and Indy (GA) Member

(((Carl and Bob))) I have a soft spot for grumpy old man kitties. Mullet is going to be a fabulous angel kitty. You did right by him.

57. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

(((((((Carl & Bob)))))
    My heart breaks and my tears fall for you. Mullet left so suddenly you had no time to prepare. But he picked his time and made sure you two would be together.
    This is when our little ones are wiser than us and we must bear our broken hearts while we say "until we meet again". You could not possibly have failed him in any way. True love cannot fail.
    You and Mullet and Bob are in our prayers.
    Fly so very high sweet Mullet. Stop by your dad and tell him you are ok.
    xoxo mary and oliver

58. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Dear (((((Carl)))))
    Thinking of you tonight and lighting Stu's candle to help light Mullet's way to the Bridge. We are so sorry for your loss of your grumpy old man. His spirit will always be there with you.

In deepest sympathy,

Ella & Edward, Rusty, and Stu (GA)

59. Heather & Shess (GA)

Heather & Shess (GA) Member

Carl,

I am so sorry to hear this sad news. You did not fail Mullet. He knew how much you loved him and you did the best you could. You are one of the best dads a cat could ever ask for. Mullet will always be with you in spirit.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((CARL))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

60. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Carl)))))

I am so sorry for your loss. Words are completely inadequate. Suffice it to say that you are in my thoughts.

Fly free Mullet and land softly. There are many of our kitties who are at the Bridge to greet you and keep you safe until the time you are reunited with the one you love best.

[​IMG]

61. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

(((Carl))) & ~~Bob~~, I'm so so sorry Mullet is now an angel. Always hard to lose a furry friend. Wish it weren't so. Sending warm hugs to you both.

62. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Carl, I am so sorry about Mullet....sending you HUGS :YMHUG:

63. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Carl))))

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know deep down in my heart that you did everything in your power for him.

Fly free mullet wings_cat

64. GregFurBall

GregFurBall Well-Known Member

Oh Carl. My heart is breaking for the pain you must be in after saying good-bye to Mullet. I'm in shock. Tears of sadness flow for you. Give lots of love and hugs to Bob.
    :YMHUG:
    Karen

65. Pam & Hoot

Pam & Hoot Well-Known Member

((((((Carl))))))

Sooooo sorry to hear about Mullet.
    Fly Free Sweet Mullet wings_cat

66. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

((((Carl)))))) My friend....I am so very sorry. My heart is breaking for you; I know how very much your two handsome boys mean and what a horrible shock all this is. I hope your last minutes with him were peaceful; your bond will be forever strong.

We lit a Candle for Mullet.

"The Ridge" by Carol Notermann

It’s been such a lovely summer, I’ve been napping in the sun.
    This morning, other cats and I enjoyed a long long run.
    We chased butterflies together. I climbed high into a tree.
    And now I think what woke me up was that small bumble bee.

I’ve yawned and stretched, and still I feel that something has begun.
    He’s standing there in robes of white, and telling me to come.
    I always run to Him you know, when He comes across the bridge
    To see if we’re all having fun and if we’ve checked the ridge.

He gives tummy rubs to all of us and pets and cuddles too
    I’m glad to see Him every day, when He comes into view.
    Each day He takes a different cat, and chats with them a while
    Then off that kitty starts to run. I swear they seem to smile.

But now He’s stopped in front of me. He’s said a name I know.
    He said to look out towards the ridge. The sun is setting low.
    I start to walk out toward the ridge, and then what’s that I see.
    IT’S YOU! IT’S YOU! It’s really you. You’ve come to be with me!

My goodness you are running and I am running too!
    You stop to bend, but I can jump and now I am with you.
    I feel your kisses on my head, as I did in long off days
    You’re holding me and hugging me, and into your eyes I gaze.

And now He’s walking with us, as you carry me once more
    We’ve crossed Rainbow Bridge together. We’re here at Heaven’s door.
    And He has held it open, and told us to walk through
    That from now on and forever, I can always be with you.

67. Tigger's Friend

Tigger's Friend Well-Known Member

(((Carl))),

Our hearts & thoughts are with you & Mullet. What a shock for you, but I am grateful you were able to be with him & hold him while he crossed. He's probably hanging around next to you wondering why you're so sad, because he feels just fine, now. Keeping you close in our thoughts, & sending lots of healing & care vines to you & your family.

68. mariko

mariko Well-Known Member

Carl,
    I am so sorry for your loss of Mullet.
    Sending prayers.......

69. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

((((Carl)))) ((((Bob)))) I am so sorry for your loss. I too have a special place in my heart for a grumpy old man cat I lost suddenly a couple of years ago. As tough as Mullet may have seemed on the outside, he knew how much you loved him. I'm glad you were there for him. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Fly free Mullet, land softly, and send your bean a message that you are whole again. wings_cat

70. Emmy & Dude

Emmy & Dude Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to see that your buddy Mullet had to leave you - please don't feel as if you've failed him. Any kitty that had the love he had certainly was never failed. I don't know what the problem was but apparently you set him free from a body that was failing him - and now he's pain-free and young again.

My heart goes out to you - saying goodbye is so tough - we love them so much and they are such a part of our hearts and lives. Those "grumpy" ones leave the biggest holes in our hearts sometimes because of their distinct personalities - speaking from experience here because Mittsi never fails to let me know of her displeasure.

Sending many many hopes that the memories of your life together bring a smile to your lips again and that they begin to fill the hole left in your heart and life.

I am so sorry.

Emmy & Dude (GA) & Mittsi too

71. Okay, I'm going to try and make some sense so bear with me...

Last night, it was obvious that Mullet was doing worse. He had begun rapid shallow breathing, and open-mouthed panting.
    When I got home from work, I fed the boys. Mullet actually ate a tablespoon or so of Purina Tuna and eggs on his own. When I tried to get him to eat more, he wasn't interested. Thinking it was dental related, I didn't want to force the issue by sticking a syringe in his mouth and causing him stress and pain, so I let him be. I did get him to eat a teaspoon of baby food chicken before going to bed around 3am. But all night till then, he was very fidgety. Like he couldn't get comfortable no matter how he sat or laid around. Still breathing shallow and fast which I took as "I'm in pain".
    This morning, not really any different. He ate a few mouthfuls of food, but I wasn't concerned because I figured that if he was going to be sedated at the vet, they'd want an empty belly anyway. When it came time to take him to the vet, I picked him up and put him in the carrier. For the first time every, he hardly resisted. It's usually a huge fight to get him once he sees the carrier. I put his favorite "nanner" in there with him and a couple of towels. He cried, but not much.

All the way to the vet, he was pretty quiet. Again, totally abnormal Mullet behavior. He usually squawks the whole way and drowns out the music. So I didn't even turn on the radio. I just stuck my hand in the carrier and petted him and he meowed a couple times. I figured he must really feel bad, the way he was acting.

I got to the vet, and of course then he got agitated. Dogs barking and all that. I only had to wait 10 minutes or so until a room was available. Once in there, I opened the carrier. Any other time, I've had to wrestle him out, but today, he walked right out, jumped off the table on the bench, then on to the floor, and plopped down on the cool tiles. So I got down there with him. Vet came in - not his "regular vet", but one I have a great deal of confidence in. She'd seen him a few times. We talked for a few minutes, I told her what I thought about the tooth problems and Hyper-T. We got Mullet up on the table and he was doing the panting, rapid breathing. She looked in his mouth and called the vet tech back in and told him to hook up the "oxygen tent". Apparently, Mullet's gums were white, turning to blue. She took a scope to his chest. Heard what I felt when I picked him up off the floor....his heart was beating like a drumroll, and she heard fluid noises.
    She took him in back and stuck him on oxygen, then came back to talk to me. She said she thought he had a lot of fluid in his chest, don't remember the scientific terms she used, but basically his heart was having to fight the fluids to keep itself beating. She said he was "critical". She told me she could check to verify by either trying to get some fluids out, or by doing an x-ray. I asked her what all this meant. I'm sitting there thinking "but it's just Hyper-T???"

She explained that where Mullet really needed to be was at a clinic in Charleston, (two hour ride), where they were equipped to treat him far better than she could. He'd need an oxygen enriched environment, and they'd put a tube in his chest to drain fluids, and probably another tube down his throat to feed him. I'm like "but it's just Hyper-T and a bad tooth or two???" She said, no, that's not all it is. It might not even be hyperthyroid. But right now, his heart and the fluids in his chest are the emergency. EDIT TO ADD - I chose "x-ray" over stick a needle in his chest. She took a chest x-ray. She said "there was so much fluid, that I couldn't see his heart on the x-ray".

So I asked her flat out...what do you think his prognosis is. She said "poor, to guarded at best". So again, I asked her point blank, as I started choking and crying "If he were your kitty, what would you do?" She said "I will back up whatever decision you make, but this might be the time to think about letting him go".

So I asked her if I could see him for a few minutes. I needed to talk to him. So she brought him back in. She handed him to me and then grabbed my hand and said "take as long as you need". I tried to wrap him up in a towel and hugged him. He started squirming, so I just let him do what he wanted. He jumped off my lap, and plopped himself down on the floor. I sat with him, and talked to him. He looked up at me, stared right into my eyes, trying to tell me something. It was hard to see through the tears. So I asked him, "what is it Mullet, what are you telling me". He looked back up and stared. Cried once, closed his eyes, and put his little head down. He didn't say the word of course. But what I heard was "I'm done, dad". I pretty much lost it. So I said, OK little man. And I sang him a song. "Wonderful Life" by Alter Bridge. Tried to anyway. Pretty off key with the sniffling and bawling. If you have never heard the song, or read the lyrics.... it was the right song. One that I will send every pet I ever have from now until the day I die to the bridge with.

After 10 minutes or so, I told the vet I was ready for her. I told her that I couldn't deal with sending him off two hours away, when I wouldn't be able to visit until my next day off, if he lived that long. And I couldn't get to him quickly if and when they called me to say "it's time". And I refused to let him live the last hours or days of his life in a clinic where he would not see familiar people, or me, or Bob, or his home, and be poked and prodded by strangers. I told her that I thought it was time for us to say goodbye, and asked if I could hold him when he crossed.

She came back and explained the whole procedure to me. She first gave him a sedative, and he calmed down some. Then she brought me and him into the back room. I placed Mullet in this oxygen tent and they let him breath oxygen for a minute or two as the sedative took affect. Then she asked me to take him out, and gave me an oxygen mask to hold over his nose. He totally calmed down, and even purred a couple times. His breathing slowed down, but I could still feel him breathing and felt his heart beating. Then they let me have a couple minutes alone with him. I must have told him "I love you Mullet and I'm so sorry" a hundred times in two minutes. Then they gave him the second shot, and a minute or two later, he was gone. It was extremely peaceful. Like he just went to sleep. The entire staff were so amazing. The vet tech, some guy I'd never met before (I'd never even seen a guy vet tech working there before) came over and clasped my shoulder. When I looked up at him, he had tears in his eyes. He'd never met Mullet before, or me. He just said "you did the right thing for him, sir".

So, I won't know exactly what it was that claimed my boy's life. It doesn't really matter to me. I just couldn't let him suffer any more. And I wasn't willing to just ship him off, leave him someplace where he'd feel abandoned and petrified, and have him leave this world alone.

And I know I can't play the "what if" game with myself. What if I'd brought him in sooner? What if...... I can't change the past. And I can't shape the future. All I can really do, when it comes right down to it, is live in the present and try to make "now" the best place I can for my kitties. And "now", that means Bob.

I chose to have Mullet cremated, and it'll be a week or so until he "comes home" for good. He'll go right up there next to "Winkie". And I'll talk to him just like I talk to Winkie when I have something to say.

My goal is to put together a memorial video for Mullet, like I've seen other people do. I need to collect the old photos and "digitize" them, and put it to music, and that will take me a couple weeks since I don't really know what I'm doing. But I'll learn.

I want to thank each and every one of you who have posted in the past 24 hours, first with the healing vines and prayers, and then with the beautiful words since I posted the "rainbow". I simply can't put words to how you've made me feel. Today was a really, really bad day. I can't imagine how I would have made it thru the day without the support and love of the people here. My broken heart will mend, but even if broken, all the pieces are still there. And it is with my whole heart that I say "thank you" to all of you.

Carl & Bob & Mullet (GA)

72. KarenRamboConan

KarenRamboConan Senior Member Moderator

((((Carl))))

I am so very sorry for your loss. When it's unexpected like this, the shock is paralyzing. I am so glad you were able to be with him as he left; it was a gift to you both. Your voice was the last he heard, your touch the last he felt, and he knew your love surrounded him. I know that gave him great peace, and I hope that you can share in that peace someday, as well.

Please know that hearts around the world are mourning with you as you grieve for your sweet Mullet.

Gentle journey and safe landing, Mullet. You were dearly loved, and will be forever missed.

"Death is not the extinguishing of the light... it is the
    putting out of the lamp because the dawn has come
    ."
    ~ Indian Poet Rabindranath Tagore

[​IMG]

73. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Okay, sitting here in tears typing this and you did the absolute right thing for Mullet. You put Mullet first, your pain second, and you knew it was time to let him go. After reading all that transpired from last night through today it was the right decision, never doubt that. It can happen so fast sometimes with no signs anything is wrong till suddenly they are in trouble. Open mouth breathing scares the hell out of me and that is a bad sign. I have also learned to let go before it becomes a terminal stage and they might suffocate from not being able to get air. Bless you for loving Mullet so much that your thoughts were all of him and he went peacefully surrounded by your love.
    Your greatest gift of love in 16 years with Mullet was helping him to the Bridge.

74. Sweeties-Mom

Sweeties-Mom Member

I'm so sorry -- big hugs to you (((((( Carl ))))))

It is so hard to loose a pet, and so suddenly too. You absolutely made the most loving decision by being with him for his transition rather than sending him off alone and scared with little hope of a better outcome. I love that he purred for you there at the vet's, and that you got to tell him over and over how much you loved him, grouchy ornery guy and all that.

Though he has now flown wings_cat to that rainbow rb_icon bridge, you will surely meet your loved one again cat_pet_icon as love transcends time and space.

75. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, Carl, for your loss of Mullet. I didn't get a chance to post earlier with the Board down. I'm so glad you had that time with Mullet helping him cross peacefully and hearing your voice. My deepest condolences and prayers for you and your family.

76. BorisV

BorisV Member

Carl, there are no words I can say to ease your pain. You did the very kindest thing one can do for a loved one but it comes with great agony. Sounds like you gave him a fabulous, long life and he will be with you always.

Deepest Sympathies,
    Bernadette

77. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Carl

Part of the love and care you gave Mullet was knowing when to help him to the Rainbow Bridge. You did that in such a beautiful and peaceful way. Guilt is a part of grieving - I am sorry that you have to experience that after all the care you gave to his grumpy self.

I am crying with you.

Robin

78. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Carl)))

No words, just tears along with you - Mullet is in a better place

79. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

What an incredible story. I don't post here much, just follow one or two threads that catch my attention now and then, and for some reason I started reading this one today. I am so touched by the sheer love that pours out of you, Carl - love for a very special kitty who will live for ever in your heart.

Those of us who have been in your shoes - we will all be there sometime, I have been there twice and others several times more - understand the complete devastation you feel at your loss and the feeling of it all being a bad dream. Can there be a worse feeling in the world than losing a special little baby who is the world to us and more? - I don't think so. Sadly this is the small print that none of us takes on board when we welcome these beautiful little creatures into our homes, our hearts and our lives. Are we devastated? Yes. Is it worth it? Unconditionally, yes, for the limitless joy and love they give to us. It takes a while but we cannot but accept that.

Wishing you comfort as you face these early days without your friend, Carl.

Diana

80. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

(((((((Carl, Bob & Ex-Wife))))))

Carl, I am at a loss for words. You, Bob and your ex-wife are in my thoughts and prayers today. You gave Mullet the most precious gift any caregiver can give. Hang in there, buddy.

81. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Dear Carl

I know of one possible "what if" and I'm so glad you didn't go through this. My Farrall developed chylothorax (possibly the same condition as Mullet), a type of fluid in the chest. Not knowing anything about it, I let the vet "tap" her chest to drain off the fluid so she could breathe, then took her to MedVet, a specialty facility. They tapped her too, the fluid kept refilling the chest, the fluid losses wreaked havoc with her electrolytes, and she still couldn't breathe well. And I had to let her go because nothing seemed to control it. Had I known, I would have let her go peacefully instead, as you did with Mullet.

82. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Oh Carl I am so sorry to hear this . You are such a good bean to your furkids, but they are so good at hiding illness until it is too late. You did all you could. It was so beautiful that you had time for to say goodbye to Mullet.

Sorry this is so late, the Board went down just after I saw. Lighting a candle for Mullet. rb_icon

[​IMG]

83. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

Carl, I am so sorry for your loss of Mullet. You both were fortunate that you could be there singing to him as he crossed. We have you in our Prayers, Carl.

84. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a difficult decision you had to make. When members here ask what to do for their kitty who is ill, I will often tell them to talk to their cat and listen very carefully for what their kitty tells them. Cats know. We just need to be smart enough to listen. You are a wise man, Carl.

I also often post this fable about why we choose tears for the caregivers of a kitty that has crossed the Bridge. I hope it provides a bit of comfort.

85. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

((((((((Carl))))))))

OMG I am so sorry for your loss of your grumpy ornich fellow. But now Mullet is running free playing with all his buddies that have gone ahead. I'm very sure that right now he is making friends with Muse, Musette, Onyx and all the others that he has met through you and this board. He is now free from pain and it is your heart that is breaking. Again I am so very very sorry and my heart breaks with yours...Fly free dearest Mullet.

mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

86. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry Carl. I just went thru a sudden loss of one of my boys just over a week ago myself and I know what you mean about it being so sudden and not knowing what took him and not doing the what ifs and all that. I know, and you know, and so many know, we have to do the what's right. And we do. (((Carl)))

87. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry .. I cried tears as I read your post .. I know Mullet knows that you did everything you could have for him .. Fly Free Mullet ..

88. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Carl,

Fluid can build up so quickly that playing "what if" really doesn't matter. You could have taken him in one, two or three days sooner and there wouldn't have been any fluid. You would have pursued the hyper T, dental route and still not know that something else was going on.

So, don't feel guilty, don't play "what if", it wouldn't have changed anything.

I do believe they let us know when they are ready. Like Mullet did by easily going into the carrier, not fussing in the car and looking at you with the clarity of knowledge. My Sydney did a very similar thing. I placed the carrier next to her and she walked into it on her own and laid down waiting. I knew in my heart what she was doing and when we got the to vet and she said, are we doing an x-ray, I cried and said no, I don't think so, please look at her.

You sang to him, cried and snotted on him and sent him on his journey with a tear/snot halo - his badge of love to show to everyone at the bridge just how loved he is.

Once Mullet comes home, you can begin to heal the pain in your heart.

89. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing that. i know how hard it must have been.
    what a good dad. Mullet will be with you forever.
    many tears here and huge hugs to you.
    love ya sweet cheeks
    oh, and I agree with Hillary about snotting all over your boy. JWD.

again, huge hugs to ya

90. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Carl & Bob, I don't know what to say. I am so sorry. I am so happy that you were able to sing to him and be with him. Sending you and Bob all the comfort vines I can muster. Fly free, sweet Mullet. Your dad & brother love you much.

[​IMG]

91. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Oh, Carl! You know I'm not around a lot anymore, but did try to access the board on Tuesday, gave up when it seemed to be down and didn't try again until now. I could hardly believe it when I saw the rainbow you had posted.

I could tell you what a great dad you were to Mullet and how blessed he was to have you, how you did everything you could for him and loved him well, but you already know that. I wish I had the words to heal your aching heart. Praying sweet memories of your time with Mullet will bring you comfort in the days ahead.

Hugs to you and Bob.

Through tear-filled eyes,

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

92. Jennifer&Cain(GA)

Jennifer&Cain(GA) Member

So sorry about your loss. So many hugs. Mullet was dearly dearly loved. I'm crying tears after reading what happened. So sorry.

wings_cat

93. sophie

sophie Member

Dear Carl,
    my heart is with you. Fly free sweet Mullet & land softly on your daddy's shoulder & help him.
    Love, Sophie

94. mtncat58

mtncat58 Well-Known Member

BEYOND THE RAINBOW

As much as I loved the life we had and all the times we played,
    I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade

I saw a wondrous image then of a place that's trouble-free
    Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow, an on the other side
    Were meadows rich and beautiful - lush and green and wide
    And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see
    Were animals of every sort as healthy as could be
    My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new
    And I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do
    I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright
    That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright glow pierced the night
    "Twas the glow of many candles, shining bright and strong and bold
    And I knew then that it held your love in it's brilliant shades of gold.
    For although we may not be together in the way we used to be
    We are still connected by a cord no one can see
    So whenever you need to find me, we're never far apart
    If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

95. Heather & Seasaidh (GA)

Heather & Seasaidh (GA) Member

Carl, I am bawling my eyes out as I type this. I am so sorry. (((((Hugs)))))

96. ohbell

ohbell Well-Known Member

Dearest Carl & Mullet,
    Carl, Sooo sorry to hear about Mullet. I know for a fact when Bean was dx and I drove this place crazy, you were always one to respond. I want to send many thanks for that and paw hugs for sure.
    Mullet knows you were a great daddy and will be waiting for you. It took a moment for me to be able to reply as I am crying my eyes out for you and deeply feeling your pain.
    Hopefully Mullet has found my 2 girls: Gumpy & Slappy by now and they are showing him around the Bridge.
    Again, many many hugs & prayers coming your way.

97. Sarah & Miko

Sarah & Miko Member

Mullet was so lucky to have you as his person. I am so deeply and truly sorry for your loss -- I know Mullet knew how fiercely loved by you he was, and what a rare and special thing that is. Godspeed, Mullet.

98. KKL

KKL Member

I am new to the board, but I wanted to tell you I am so sorry you lost your boy...I have been there and know I will be there again and so I know and understand how you feel, so I am sobbing as I read your posts...my heart breaks for you...

99. cindyh

cindyh Member

Carl,

My heart breaks for you. You gave Mullet a wonderful life, and you were there with him till his last breath. No cat could ever wish for more. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cindy

100. donaleen and Ozy

Just thinking about you and sending you comfort.

donaleen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.