Multiple cat homes-- Feeding

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovetheduns, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

Hello!

So at some point, I am going to have let little DoDo join his pride and not keep him locked in the bedroom. He is already getting to the point where he wants to go back out and play with the little girls (I have two juvenile kittens that I am fostering). I have *cringes* 7 cats of my own not to count the two fosters. The 7 are comprised of DoDo's brothers and sisters.

At any rate, my pets right now eat a raw diet. I grind chicken or I use pre-ground turkey meat and add supplements. I would like to maybe pursue other avenues as well--- maybe use a canned cat food into the mix as well.

Can some of you who have multiple cats give me your ideas of what you feed to your entire group?

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I have 5 cats, 1 of which is diabetic, and all of my cats eat Friskies canned foods. Fortunately they are not picky eaters and will eat anything I put in front of them. :mrgreen:

3. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

I have 5 cats - two of whom are diabetic.

They all eat Wellness canned (chicken and turkey flavors).

Two of my civilians are underweight -- they are still nervous about Rusty (cat #5) and run away from the food whenever he comes around. (now at week 7 since Rusty arrived)

So... they get some special treats in the bathroom - either high carb Fancy Feast or EVO dry - once per day. Even in the bathroom, they are nervous and if Rusty sniffs under the door, they will go off the food. Very frustrating but off topic... sorry :?

4. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

well, let's just say that i go thru a case of Friskies canned food every day at my house. and yes, it all gets eaten :D

i also supplement here and there with some raw.

5. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

Excellent--- I think I am going to take all of these suggestions and start perusing through the the Binky list of canned foods.

My two foster kitties (8 and 9 oh boy) REFUSE right now anything not raw diet. They think canned food is yacky including the wellness I tried to get them to eat. *LOL*

But the others--- are convinced little DoDo is getting special treats since they can smell his yummy food. *LOL* (Hills A/D)

6. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

I have 8 cats, one diabetic and they all eat friskies canned food.

I go through 6-7 cans per day!!

I have a few dry food junkies and one very old calico that I sneak dry to ;)

shhh don't tell Elmo ;)

7. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi! Bless your heart for having all those cats! I just want to say Grrrrreaaaat job on feeding Raw!! I feed it too & am a Raw Diet Advocate!! :thumbup
    Although you can & cats will eagerly eat the cheap food.. I don't think I need to go into the health benefits of feeding quality food, you see a beautiful coat & many other health benefits!! I would stick to feeding better food (Raw) & if you absolutely must supplement.. look at Instinct, EVO, Merrick or Wellness

8. lovetheduns

lovetheduns Member

There are times I think I am crazy that I have all of those cats. But I feel like they are my responsibility and well-- I couldn't imagine life without them. Sometimes it is annoying-- i.e. my carpet looks horrendous and I dream of hardwood floors. *LOL*

We are closed for cats-- no more four legged critters can come into this house, but they are indeed treasures and I have accepted that my two fosters may never leave.

At least when company is over only 2 will come out so it always gives the appearance we do not have many!

Thank goodness for pine pellet litter!!

9. Gia and Quirk

Gia and Quirk Member

Why do you think you need to give up the raw diet? Raw is diabetes friendly and it's good for all your others. Please read www.catinfo.org There is a section on all the benefits of raw.

10. buddybean

buddybean New Member

I thought I was crazy for having 8 cats BTW I rescued from shelters. I was a foster Mom. that is where I collected my crew from. I am sucker for kittens. had to keep a few. I have a cat that I have had for 8 yrs an he still runs from me. I think he had trauma in his early days before me. But what am I to do.. I am not going to throw him away like most people would.
    Funny that you say that when people come over they only see the sociable ones.. mine do that too.. I have one nosey boy that is all in your face to the point of annoying my guest. He is 11 yrs old and looks like he is a baby. Not sure why, I had to feed him from a bottle when he was born. and he is the only kid I have that is not fat!
    My husband buys Friskies canned food for my kids every month... like 100 cans and 5 35 lbs of cat litter. think people look at him weird? My life would not be complete with out my 8 kids. crazy as some of them are. and kudos to my hubby for loving me and all my cats... but I told him when i met him 10 yrs ago.. love me love my cats.. you won't be in my life if you don't like my kids. he is still here with my crew.

11. Kays8cats

Kays8cats Member

Budy Bean you rock!!!

Off subject but I have been a vet tech a long time and all of mine are homeless/rescues.

I have one diabetic, one that I must help to poop, one with asthma and a few "scardy cats" that no one else wanted. I saw them sit at the shelter and said, hey I am going to take the ones that are the least likely to be adopted. And thats what I have done ever since.

One had been in a dog crate and would refuse to come out. I tried when I volunteered every week to get her to come out and play with the other cats but no. I brought her home and she hid in one room but made friends with my mellow guy sully and they now follow each other around the house and she is more social :).

I would not have it any other way :). My boyfriend is a zookeeper where I work and he loves them as much ( almost) as I do and I will not have anyone in my life who dislike them :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.