Multiple cats - auto feeder

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sandry, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sandry

Sandry New Member

So I'm trying to find some tips for my parents. They recently found out one of their cats is diabetic when he wasn't healing properly from a minor surgical procedure. He had a blood test done yesterday and was way high, 530s.

The household:
    3 cats - 8 year old, 6 year old and 4 year old (approx) [the 6ish year old is the new diabetic)
    2 dogs - 15 week old puppy and 8 year old large dog

With the new puppy, the dogs are fed on a schedule. The cats have an automatic feeder that dispenses 3 times a day. The diabetic cat is, of course, the only one who has no interest in the canned food or treats the other two sometimes get; he has always refused anything but the dry. I've read that dry food is a no go for diabetic cats, but they can't exactly put anything else in the feeder. Feeding all 3 canned food would also get way too expensive. I can't really think of any way to prevent diabetic cat from accessing the dispenser if it's also somewhere the other 2 cat get to. Obviously keeping diabetic cat by himself behind a door isn't a reasonable long term solution, especially once he's feeling better. Closed doors aren't really a thing at the parents place, basically every animal there yells if one is closed.

Also, they are obviously worried about costs. I tried finding a free meter for them, but they all require an Rx. I also can't see to find any supplies (test strips, insulin, syringes) that won't cost them $100 or more a month in addition to the food. Are supplies generally cheaper online or in store in ya'lls experience?

Diabetic cat is the only one of the bunch to be overweight, how likely is it that he would not need insulin and such frequent testing once he loses weight (similar to a type 2 diabetic)? My mom is already anguished and anxious about the testing and the giving shots. :/

2. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

As for supplies, you need to weigh the convince of using a local store against the savings of online ordering. I buy most of my strips and cat food from Amazon. We get her insulin and syringes online. If you have a Walmart nearby, they have good prices on meters and strips. With online ordering, you have to plan ahead so you don't run out of strips.

Some cats can have their diabetes controlled with diet, over time. It's important that kitty only eats low carb canned food. We have 4 cats who are all fed separately, twice a day. There is no dry food in the house. We buy fancy feast by the case from Amazon to keep the cost down.

3. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of people here get their supplies from Walmart. You can also check out the supply closet forum. There can be supplies there for cheap or no charge.

For the food issue, you can try Young Again dry food. It isn't the best food but there is a low carb option that some folks here use. It is expensive but it is said that overall, they eat less so it works out in the end. You can check out their website.

4. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

We have quite a zoo here with cats of all ages and needs. We had been able to manage the majority with a 12 lb capacity feeder free dispensing grain-free and poultry-free dry food. When we get a cat with needs such as chronic kidney disease or now diabetes, we have to change our routine quite a bit. This means an adjustment for the cats as well, but it always works out.

For us, my bedroom becomes the special needs room. Grandpa still spends plenty of time free to roam the house, but he spends his nights in the bedroom with me with the door closed. When he is in here, the food for the rest is now in a huge bowl in the main part of the house. In the morning, I feed Grandpa his wet food in the bedroom and give him his shot. I then check on the others and I put their dry food bowl in a closet. I can then open my door knowing the others have had hours to eat. Toward evening I reverse the process and put Grandpa back in the bedroom for his evening meal and shot and bring out the big bowl for the others. I may let Grandpa out while we watch tv and relax. When I'm ready for bed, i bring the dry food out, close my door, and enjoy a night with Grandpa.

I know that was long, but I hoped to show that while it may mean throwing away the current routine and being creative, it's possible to juggle everything and still make everyone reasonably happy. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.