Multiple Feedings schedule

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Pearl and Emily, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pearl and Emily

Pearl and Emily Member

I have recently transitioned Pearl from being free-fed, to 12 hour feeding schedule per my vet. This is NOT what I think is best and so starting today, I have switched her to a 6 meal per day schedule, 1/4 can each feeding (for a total of 1.5 cans).
    She gets fed at 6:40am after AMPS, 9:40a, 12:40p, 3:40p, 6:40p after PMPS, and 9:40p. I know not to feed within 2 hours of insulin, and so I think my scheduling works in that regard. However, my question is this; instead of spreading the feedings out over the course of daytime hours, should I spread them out more to cover the overnight?( ie: every 4 hours for 6 total feedings--> 6:40a, 10:40a, 2:40p, 6:40p, 10:40p, 2:40a)
    As I write this I'm assuming I should carry out the 6 servings across the 24 hours for best chance at regularity..
    I have an auto feeder that I can program for this of course.

What other schedule suggestions are out there?

P.S. It's not an option for us to leave any portions out for free feeding as my other cat has her own specific diet for IBD. In order for Pearl to get scheduled feedings, she stays in her own bedroom during the day. That's originally why I didn't spread the feedings across a 24 hour period.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I feed four times - 6am/pm and 12am/pm, and the leftovers stay out for them to graze on.

Pearl and Emily likes this.
  3. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

I feed 3 times and leave the cans out for grazing. The cat also gets zero-carb freeze dried meat dog treats after testing/before meals. Recently, due to an issue with a case of one of the flavors of 9 Lives, I've been feeding twice a day, leaving the cans out for grazing, and giving freeze-dried dog treats 4x a day instead of 3.

4. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

If possible I would recomend you to try and schedule some food during the night just to be safe cats have a tendency to get lower numbers during the night so a snack at midnight is a good idea

5. Mags920

Mags920 Member

I feed 3-4 times a day. 6am-1/2 can Friskies & whatever the others may leave behind, when I come home for lunch around 1pm-Sheba perfect portions, 6pm-2 Sheba perfect portions or 1 Fancy Feast & 9pm ish or before I go to bed-leftovers or whatever I have if he's hungry. I occasionally forget to remove the dry food so he doesn't want all those feedings because he had dry.

6. Beck and Philly

Beck and Philly Well-Known Member

The vet that diagnosed Grandpa was adamant about a12- hour feeding schedule. He was miserable. He howled for food and then started vomiting at the 6 hour mark every time. I started adding in snacks after recommendations from folks here, and the difference is unreal.

We've settled into a routine of breakfast at 6:30, snacks at 10:30 and 2:30, dinner at 6:30, and a bedtime snack at 10:30. I split a large (13 oz?) can of Friskies between four cats for the bedtime snacks. Not all are big eaters so there's usually some left on a plate or two when I wake up. I know Grandpa had access if he got hungry overnight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.