Murphy OTJ for now, but has other ails

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by MURPHYSMOM, Aug 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MURPHYSMOM

MURPHYSMOM Member

Murphy has been off PZi since the evening of July 28th. His glucose readings, and I will do another tonight ,have been good, most in the low 100's or lower. I have not been testing every day as he has other ills and I don't want to stress him out. He has really bad allergies this year and if you read his story from back in June, the treatment for that (steroid injection) is what might have been the catalyst for him getting Diabetes. His eyes and eyelids are still pink and a bit swollen, so he is on another round of antihistamines. He was also on an antibiotic for almost 2 weeks, but does not seem too improved. He actually had a brief period before these meds were given when he seemed his old self...so happy and playful. He is on a nightly dose of Pepcid ac for a sensitive tummy. Two nights ago I almost took him to the ER as his breathing was faster than I thought it should be. Why does everything happen at 3am? I took him to his old vet the next afternoon, not the Cat Clinic where they tested him from nose to tail and cost me as much and said at the end of July that his lungs and heart were ok and unchanged from early June and to stop the Insulin. The old vets said he sounded ok, heart was a bit fast, eyes didn't look that bad but could xray his lungs again. I said no for then, but he still seems not quite well. I now know the antihistamines will make him sleepy, but he also had some loose stools today. Is this from coming off the insulin? Maybe he is not totally in remission and still considered Diabetic? As a diabetic myself, I have stomach ills...always have, but am worried now what? I am still feeding him the dry dm/wd mix and can regular fancy feast. I think I also need to add back in some of the dm canned although he was not really eating much of that. Could use some advice.

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Our rule of thumb is that you treat the other problems as necessary and if that means going back on insulin, or a dose increase, you do it. If the antihistamine makes hime too groggy, discuss with the vet if there is another one that might work, or if it is possible to slightly reduce the dose and thus cut back on the drowsiness.

Methylcobalamin may help if any part of the GI symptoms are due to diabetic neuropathy. It can take a couple of months to clear up, in that case. Vitacost has one that isn't bad r just a pinch of rice flower in it, no sweeteners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.